KICK Waxing Scales! It works!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
HBS

KICK Waxing Scales! It works!

Post by HBS » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:41 pm

Started teaching a friend how to skinny ski on Sunday only to discover that the waxless skis the GF lent her weren't gripping! Hard crust with a windblown dusting seems to be a weak point. She switched skis with the GF who put on a thin coat of V45 to scales and about 6" above and below - voila! Grip returned!

This and the hot waxing thread makes me think scales are more versatile than I'd like to admit...

bbergey

Re: KICK Waxing Scales! It works!

Post by bbergey » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:41 pm

HBS wrote:Started teaching a friend how to skinny ski on Sunday only to discover that the waxless skis the GF lent her weren't gripping! Hard crust with a windblown dusting seems to be a weak point. She switched skis with the GF who put on a thin coat of V45 to scales and about 6" above and below - voila! Grip returned!

This and the hot waxing thread makes me think scales are more versatile than I'd like to admit...
Yes! I have been wanting to try kick waxing the scales and hot waxing beyond on my Voile Chargers. I think it would be fast and grippy both. Any recommendations for a versatile kick wax?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:55 pm

The trouble you can get into is if temps drop you will have a hard time removing the wax from the scales in the field and you may have zero glide. By all means do it if it's the only option but next time try kick waxing the tips and tails first to see if that works before getting wax on the scales.

bbergey

Post by bbergey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:26 am

lowangle al wrote:The trouble you can get into is if temps drop you will have a hard time removing the wax from the scales in the field and you may have zero glide. By all means do it if it's the only option but next time try kick waxing the tips and tails first to see if that works before getting wax on the scales.
I see your point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HBS

Post by HBS » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:47 pm

I didn't think of that but we seem to have trouble when the snow is cold. I tend to have trouble waxing when it's warmer than freezing and just switch to kicker skins.

As for a versatile wax - in Colorado blue extra works probably 80% of the time, and 10% of that remaining part you just add more blue extra.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:48 pm

LAA agree..We will put dots of wax on the scales staggered on the outside of the skis...Take it off at the end of the day if needed....Bones really worked well today...TM