Rossignol BC90/110

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Rossignol BC90/110

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:22 am

Anyone skiing on the current Rossignol BC90 and/or BC110?

I have never been a fan of the narrower waxless Rossi BC65/70- and have tried the first generation BC110 and BC125.

My son is growing and starting to look for a ski for him. The price of the Rossis is very attractive...

My local shop has both of them in all of their lengths- was handling them and flexing them in the shop...

First of all, I am very impressed with the flex- they both are single-cambered and have a smooth, round even flex to them, with a slightly rockered tip. Stiffness reminds me of similar width S-Bounds- stiffer than the current Madshus XCDs.

The other pleasant surprise is that the BC90 has a full 68mm underfoot! (Didn't the previous model have a meager 60mm waist?) Dimensions and flex are very similar to the current Excursion 88- by my estimation- and only about 60% of the price of an 88...

Definitely worth consideration...

And the current BC110 is a beautiful powder XCD ski- an updated Guide/Annum by my estimation- again it greatly reminds me of the S-Bound 112- MUCH cheaper...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Rossignol BC90/110

Post by fisheater » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:03 pm

If he does not see your post shoot Bri 7 a PM. I have noticed quite a few skiers in his videos on Rossi BC 90/110's. Proud to see them growing up, but buying new gear so often isn't great fun!

boby13
Ski style: Intuitive
Favorite Skis: Green FT's, Ingstad, Objective BC, Fischer E88, E99
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP and I have a love/hate relation with the Alfa Free!

Post by boby13 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:04 am

I have the BC90 and the excursion 88, its my 4th season on the 90 and I just bought the 88 because I wanted to try the easyskins. I often go down sketchy trails with my kicker skins on and that cause a lot of wear on the straps that goes over the edges.

Now that I have both skis, I highly suspect that they are made in the same factory, they are made in Ukraine and are practically identical except for the easyskins and the base (different scales and extruded vs sintered).
I searched for ski factory's in Ukraine and only found the Fischer one.

I really love these skis, they are not fast for kick and glide on groomed trails but I believe they are the best for what I do. I'm at Mont-Tremblant and very few people know that from the base or top of the ski resort, you have access to about 50km of abandoned BC Nordic skiing trails with 3 almost collapsed huts and there is about 600m of vertical drop. So I xcD a lot with these skis, but no real telemark turns. If you watch ski video from the 40's, that's what I look like when I go down. lol

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:51 am

Good idea Bob- now that you mention it I do remember seeing Rossi BC skis in Bri7's videos.

Thank you for the valuable experience info boby13!

Your comparison of the E-88 and the BC90 reinforce my intuition when I was examing them the other day- they seem almost identical to me as well!

Well cool! The Excusion 88 is certainly a step up in grip- and not only the Easy-Skin attachment- the OffTrack Crown design is waay more traction than Rossi's scales- at least in my experience. The sintered tips/tails on the Fischer are nice for hard glide wax retention as well...

BUT- there is certainly a huge price difference between the two!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:45 am

Think you are right the same factory....Rebounds were made there I think then got the same saloman something but it was the Rebound in a different top color....(cheaper too)...Teleking and Telekid use them and ski them well...189 I think...I got them and gave them to the Kid because they were so similar to the Outtabounds...While in bottomless powder they have to sit way back in anything but that they work well.......TM

montrealer
Ski style: XC, XCBC, XCD, Telemark
Favorite Skis: Dynastar Legend 8000, Eon, Nansen, Ultravector BC
Favorite boots: Scarpa T2, Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by montrealer » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:38 pm

boby13 wrote:
I'm at Mont-Tremblant and very few people know that from the base or top of the ski resort, you have access to about 50km of abandoned BC Nordic skiing trails with 3 almost collapsed huts and there is about 600m of vertical drop. So I xcD a lot with these skis, but no real telemark turns. If you watch ski video from the 40's, that's what I look like when I go down. lol

Interesting!

On this map from 1982, it shows a trail called Mont-Tremblant Ridge that goes past the edge to Johannsen peak on one side and toward Mont Timber and then down on the other side:
tremblant,jpg.jpg
Are the trails on the johannsen side or the mont timber side? do you know of any maps?
I would love to check those out...

Full maps here btw:
Hautes Laurentides:
http://pleinairsteadele.com/wp-content/ ... -19821.pdf
Basses Laurentides:
http://pleinairsteadele.com/wp-content/ ... r-1982.pdf

boby13
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP and I have a love/hate relation with the Alfa Free!

Post by boby13 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:04 pm

There ya go

The trails are mostly on the Johannsen Peak side and beyond...

Map from 1986-87
Massif Tremblant 86-87 small.jpg
A - O'Connell (south east side doesn't exist anymore)
A1 - Johannsen (north part of it is starting to disappear and its hard to find the entrance)
A2 - Cascades
A3 - Parker
A4 - Sigouin
A5 - Paré
A6 - Kurt's K.
B - Les Sommets
B1 - Les Pruches
B2 - Les Pruches
B3 - Laurentienne (hard to find)
B4 - La Traverse

Trails are pretty much dying except these ones (now for AT guys and snowshoers)
rando alpine.jpg
Watch out if you go there, trails are tight and steep! and hard to find...

Vive le ski de fond ;)

D'hostie

Post by D'hostie » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:20 pm

I did some studying on the theory that they are made in the same factory and the same skis.

Even if they are made in the same factory and Fischer is selling skis to Rossi, that, in my mind, would be all the more reason to buy a Fischer ski (unless you got a clearance deal or something). I'm not sure that they could provide the same level of features and be cost competitive doing that sort of thing.

It is clear that the Rossis are lesser featured skis. But how much, I'm not sure. I see that they are using air cores now, just like Fischer (suspicious). Whether you deem that good or bad is up to you, but they seem to make it a selling point. Rossi is claiming rocker on the 90 and up. Not clear whether that is Nordic Rocker or a static rocker, but either way, it should make them competitive with the Fischers.

The real distinguishing features seem to be the scale pattern and the easy skin. Rossi now claims to have a new negative pattern. The last pair I tried some years ago had a positive fish scale pattern just like the old Karhu XCD skis had. I doubt they'd be able to use Fischer's pattern, so it's likely different and probably more similar to Fischers old mountain crown negative pattern, which wasn't all that great for grip.

So yeah, maybe they are made in the same factory and have some similarities, but doubtful I'd pay the same price for a BC110 as I would for a S Bound 112 as they currently stand.

D'hostie

Post by D'hostie » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:51 pm

Also notice that the BC90 is 88/60/78 and the E88 is 88/68/78 - so they appear to have different profiles as well, unless the Rossi is a typo.

boby13

Post by boby13 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:22 pm

Yes its a typo... on my BC90 its written 90-68-78

I just measured it and its more like 89 at the tips, E88 is also more like 89.