Sick of breaking NTN bindings...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Sick of breaking NTN bindings...

Post by Johnny » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:08 am

It's always the same thing, year after year. I keep breaking the metal toe cups on my NTN bindings. It's my fifth pair in two years. Whether it's cups from 2.0 to 2.2, it doesn't make a difference.

We all know about the old frame cracking issue (never happened to me), but am I the only one with this problem? I remember reading a few threads about it on the old TTips forum...

It seems to happen to me on very cold icy days. But come on, this thing is supposed to be a winter product isn't it? The other thing is that I never broke a toe cup with my Prophets... Only with my TX Comps... I make sure there's no snow or dirt between the toe cup and the boot everytime...

I really think I'll go back to my good old 7TM setups next year... I'm sick of paying for NTN parts. (And can't afford to buy new bindings with a 6-month only warranty...)

The only thing I can think of is that maybe I'm driving them too hard, especially with the ultra-stiff Comps... Here in the east, we always ski on ice. Maybe my carving is just too aggressive for the binding... But then again, people are racing with those bindings no?
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

DaHeel

Re: Sick of breaking NTN bindings...

Post by DaHeel » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:11 pm

I did have this happen once on a 2.2 but I had landed a drop and did a bit of a backslap. I was using Orange EVO's at the time.
No one cares that you stayed for the summers!

wayne

Post by wayne » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:40 pm

I just made the change from 7tms to NTN this season. You are scaring me....

bogon

Post by bogon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:42 am

Hm, strange problem indeed. Never heard, never saw.

OTOH I heard of frame breakage, even on black ones, and I keep close eye on mine - will use chain master-link if the woe will call for it.
I like all kinds of snow. The only poor snow I know of is ice. That better be climbed.

hamish

Post by hamish » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:42 am

I broke one toe piece a couple of years ago. It sheared right off in a turn. I also cracked two frames. On my 4th set of bindings. These ones seem to be holding up pretty well. It was a bit of a pain, but the frames just meant a brand new binding shipped to me ever summer. It felt like a bit of a scam as they'd send the whole binding with plate and heel piece, which I'd mount on new skis for free. Are you a particularly big person? It takes a fair bit of force to break a toe piece.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:54 pm

I'm like 160lbs... But (I think) I drive them hard, on icy conditions most of the time... Sometimes I feel I just reached the bindings limits... 8-)

Can't believe it happens only to me... And several times a year... Maybe I wasn't made for NTN after all... :D

Digger

Post by Digger » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:20 pm

So has Rottefella taken care of things?

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:02 pm

Well, maybe it's not Rottefella's fault. Maybe it's the boots. Maybe I am the problem...!

I remember a old thread on the old forum, collecting data about different combinations of binding versions, boots, spring settings etc... But that was for frame cracking, not toe cups... Never broke a single frame on any version.

Ederxc

Post by Ederxc » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:24 am

You are not alone...I've busted ThReE toe boxes on the freerides... Lame. That was over the course of two years though. Still, it shouldn't be an issue with how "beefy" this binding is.

Now I'm having an issue with the binding moving laterally when my knee is dropped, then not wanting to set down centered as I switch into my next turn (only really a problem when I'm torquing them thru moguls/trees/need-to-turn-now situations). It's tearing up the white plastic under the forefoot.

Anyone ever have this problem... what did you do to fix it? Is it just wearing out after only ~150 days? I expect more use/wear out of a binding. Thoughts?...

ThanX!!

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:18 am

Oh! Good to know!

What was your boots? Did you break them with the same foot? How did you fix that?

What is causing that lateral problem now... Like, the plastic itself or a loose in the toe cup shaft?