Snow or none?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Harris

Snow or none?

Post by Harris » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:04 pm

So what is the consensus? Are we in for an El Nino or La Nina?

hrishi

Re: Snow or none?

Post by hrishi » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:27 am

Harris wrote:So what is the consensus? Are we in for an El Nino or La Nina?
As of now, a La Nina
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/a ... disc.shtml

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:31 pm

Can't be none since we have already had snow in the Blues, Elkhorn, and Wallowas.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:24 pm

We had a historically shitty winter last year. Little snow and warm temps. It's been the trend for the last couple of years. That is extremely rare where I'm at on the south shore of lake Superior. We are due for a real winter this year...

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:28 pm

connyro wrote:We had a historically shitty winter last year. Little snow and warm temps. It's been the trend for the last couple of years. That is extremely rare where I'm at on the south shore of lake Superior. We are due for a real winter this year...
In SE Michigan we get some lame winters, even when I was a kid in the sixties before climate change. We have ea bumper crop of black walnuts to get the squirrels through a snowy winter. I will know better when my oaks drop their leaves, if a large percentage cling on past the leaf drop, I will be a happy skier. I have had two lame winters in a row, I believe it will be a good one this year.

connyro

Post by connyro » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:43 am

Ah yes, the oak leaves prediction. I'd be interested to see what that method predicts for us this year! Well, if you have another lousy year down there, you might consider getting up this way, even though we "don't have anything to ski" ;)

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:02 am

Snow forecast (in Blue Mountains) again for this weekend--looks like it may stick around this time

Forecast for the northwest is for more precipitation and colder weather than average, but less snow than last year. A later start to winter, although it hasn't looked that way at times.

STG

Post by STG » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:18 am

Here is NOAH's forecast for winter: http://www.noaa.gov/media-release/us-wi ... rier-south

Since they deal in probabilities, I think it could go either way depending on the geographical region. Maybe a winter that vacillates between the two (El Nino/La Nina) since NOAH is predicting 55+/- chance?

NOAH video:

connyro

Post by connyro » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:38 am

fisheater wrote:
connyro wrote:We had a historically shitty winter last year. Little snow and warm temps. It's been the trend for the last couple of years. That is extremely rare where I'm at on the south shore of lake Superior. We are due for a real winter this year...
In SE Michigan we get some lame winters, even when I was a kid in the sixties before climate change. We have ea bumper crop of black walnuts to get the squirrels through a snowy winter. I will know better when my oaks drop their leaves, if a large percentage cling on past the leaf drop, I will be a happy skier. I have had two lame winters in a row, I believe it will be a good one this year.
Are the oak leaves offering up and insight yet for winter conditions this season? We got a few inches of crusty snow last night with more to come over the next few days.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:34 pm

connyro wrote:
fisheater wrote:
Are the oak leaves offering up and insight yet for winter conditions this season? We got a few inches of crusty snow last night with more to come over the next few days.
Down here we are getting to peak color. My lawn is pretty leaf covered, but most of the leaves are still on the maples. My hickory is a brilliant gold, but the oaks have just started to change slightly. It will be a good three to four weeks before I will know if the oaks will hold a good portion of the leaves through the winter. However bad news could come earlier with a sudden complete leaf drop earlier. We had some sleet today, at least it was white!