Light plastic telemark boot

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
merak

Light plastic telemark boot

Post by merak » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:13 am

Is there any chance the producers will ever come up with a light plastic telemark boot, around 1 kg? ... to also fit the 3-pin binding :)

Anyone from Scarpa reading this? :lol:

iBjorn

Re: Light plastic telemark boot

Post by iBjorn » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:28 am

Scott/Garmont Excursion Femme in size 265 with the new 2017 T4 liner in size 260 (the garmont 265 is very small in size) will end up at approx. 1050-1080 gram. But it will be too soft even for my taste...

2017 Scarpa T4 at 1340 gram is a much better choice for going more downhill.

Scarpa are working on a new series of touring oriented tele boots, but I dont think we will se a boot in the 1kg class - since the flex and bellow of the boots adds a lot of weight. To speculate, I think we would see a mix of the old (bellow) Scarpa F1 and a (non-carbon) Scarpa Alien at approximately 1200grams. I do really hope that they will make both NTN and 75mm version of it, but I am not sure we will see the later...

merak

Post by merak » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:39 am

I wear 28.5 :(
I'll switch to AT in time. The offering is far wider and the boots are so much lighter not to mention so many other advantages. The only thing that stops me it's the money.

merak

Post by merak » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:41 am

However... the free heel is very important to me and I'm skiing parallel style.

dorthman

Post by dorthman » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:29 am

The bellow'd F1/f3 are around 1300g IIRC

3buckle NTN tx is around 1500, could shave 1-150 with some mods maybe.

I would imagine Having bellows (and bellow guards), a duck butt, and needing to use pebax plastic probably keeps them from getting to the 1kilo range

1300ish gram boot like a tele-optimized f1/f3 would be great.

Or a lightened up tx. Maybe with less volume, no toe buckle, External lean lock, more ROM in the cuff...Id pay 800 bucks for that tbh

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:47 am

Is this what we dream of?

https://www.scarpa.com/f1-carbon

The lightest scarpa f1 weighted 840g/each in size 27

merak

Post by merak » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:58 am

I don't know what to say... they're all so expensive and the TLT binding is not that durable either. I found some cheap second hand Dynafit TLT5 ($50) boots. I still need to find some cheap second hand TLT bindings but for that I need to constantly scan the market throughout the year.
I have to test TLT also, after testing telemark for 3 winters now.

Do you think you can ski TLT without blocking the heel and without getting out of the binding? :roll: In my area the descents are accompanied by flats and I love the flow that I get from tele gear.

merak

Post by merak » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:13 am

My Dynafit TLT5 arrived yesterday.

I wear 28.5 and found that this mondo size is different from Scarpa to Dynafit. Dynafit is much tighter. However they are quite a piece of engineering compared to Scarpa T4. The difference in weight is almost a half of kilo :)

I'm planning to buy the dynafit toe pieces and use TTS system. Although I use carving and parallel style I prefer to have the free heel. I don't need the bellows as I'm not telemarking.