LEVEL 1 AVALANCHE FUNDAMENTALS COURSE (RENO AND DONNER PASS)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
danomike

LEVEL 1 AVALANCHE FUNDAMENTALS COURSE (RENO AND DONNER PASS)

Post by danomike » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:56 pm

avalanche.jpg
3 night classes in Reno, and 2 day classes at Donner Pass

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 6:00 PM to Sunday, February 26, 2017, 5:00 PM

This will be the fourth year of Keith Gale from the National Ski Patrol coming to Reno to give this class! Here is a description of the NSP avalanche training program: http://bit.ly/2i10fto

Keith Gale, an avalanche instructor trainer with the National Ski Patrol (nsp.org) is presenting a course that meets the American Avalanche Association guidelines for U.S. avalanche education course “Level 1: Avalanche Fundamentals”. This is a 28 hour course that includes classroom presentations and field work.

Here is the course description:

This course teaches students how terrain, weather, and snowpack contribute to avalanche hazards. This knowledge is used during decision-making exercises in the classroom and in the field session. Students also become acquainted with human factors, which skew effective decision making. The course covers movement through avalanche terrain, route selection/hazard identification, and stability assessments in the field environment. Also focuses heavily on the fundamentals of self, group, and organized rescue. Students complete a written exam and practical evaluation during field exercises. Upon course completion, students are qualified to participate in organized rescue operations.

Class times (you will need to attend all of these classes to complete the course):
Wednesday – 6:00PM to 9:30PM (Reno)
Thursday – 6:00PM to 9:30PM (Reno)
Friday – 6:00PM to 9:30PM (Reno)
Saturday – 8:30AM to 5:00PM (Donner Summit Sno Play Area)
Sunday – 8:30AM to 5:00PM (Donner Summit Sno Play Area)

Basic equipment list:

“Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain” by Bruce Tremper – our main text source for the course. Purchase and read this before the course begins.

Appropriate clothing and your typical outdoor kit for being out in snowy conditions (food, warm drinks, extra layers, etc.).

Skis, snowshoes, or snowboard with climbing skins (what you are most comfortable with).

Beacon, shovel, probe (limited quantities might be available for a few students to borrow, but you should be prepared to bring your own set).

Send an email to danomike@yahoo.com - Daniel Ellsworth will send you a private email with additional pre-class questions.

Keith Gale is the instructor and host of the course and all questions should be directed to him. All funds collected for the course are collected for Keith Gale to teach the course. This course is provided by the National Ski Patrol, a non-profit organization.

Keith is going to have all students sign a National Ski Patrol System Event/Training Release Form the first night of class. This is required by the National Ski Patrol.

Price: $211.44

anemic

Re: LEVEL 1 AVALANCHE FUNDAMENTALS COURSE (RENO AND DONNER PASS)

Post by anemic » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:29 pm

I wish I could make this event. Thanks for sharing. Please loop us in for future training events. I have a tele buddy in Reno and we've had loose plans to ski together. It'll happen. I also would like to learn more about snow science and get certified.
Call it Nordic Freeride

danomike

Re: LEVEL 1 AVALANCHE FUNDAMENTALS COURSE (RENO AND DONNER PASS)

Post by danomike » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:35 pm

We do this specific class for Reno once a year. There are tons of avalanche courses all over the US. Let me know where you are and what your budget is and I'll try to point you in the right direction.