Ylläs-Finland

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Ylläs-Finland

Post by Inspiredcapers » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:19 pm

No trip to report- yet, just curiosity. I’ve read about the area and it sounds like an ideal area for a winter ski vacation in 2023 where a guy gets the chance to experience a variety of terrain for skiing, a different culture, and The Northern Lights.

What would be the ideal ski to have here? I’m of the thought that if I’m going to Europe for a week or two of winter time fun it might be feasible to order some skis that suit the terrain then bring back home to Canada for continued fun.

Thoughts?

tkarhu
Ski style: XCD | Nordic ice skating | XC | BC-XC
Favorite Skis: Gamme | Falketind Xplore | Atomic RC-10
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard | boots that fit

Re: Ylläs-Finland

Post by tkarhu » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:10 pm

I have not skied there, but a couple of XC/BC and XC / off piste downhill guys I know go there regularly. There is a strong network of groomed tracks, so you can do long distance touring on tracks. Or, you can go off piste downhill.

Someone writes you can also go off piste from lifts I see. Or then you can just go off groomed tracks in forests or fells. There are many cafes up in the fells too, and people go to the cafes with both downhill and track skis. So there will be a good variation of skis.

My friends’ videos and photos have had track skis and Gammes. One guy I know lives there winters, and does both track touring and off piste downhill. Do jot know what downhill skis he skis. But track touring fits better after remote workevenings he says :D So depends a lot on what you want to do there. I hope someone here has first hand experience and better tips.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:18 pm

I know where I want to be next winter!
Now just need to figure out that Extended Stay thing, to get past the 90 day limit.
Yea, man…
8-)

Inspiredcapers

Post by Inspiredcapers » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:33 pm

Thanks for the response Tkarhu. I’m looking at about 10 days of mixed skiing. The thought of leaving the lift and being able to hit trails is very appealing.

I kinda guessed that Gammes would be brought up. I just bought a pair and looking forward to getting out when the new boots show as well.

What time of winter do your friends prefer? I’m thinking end of January/beginning of February would give me the conditions I’m seeking for trail (and off trail) conditions as well as the Northern Light display.

I’ve contemplated purchasing a couple pairs of Asnes while there- one for off piste downhill (similar to what I do with my BC120’s here in BC) then something else for the groomers (and possibly look at Rottefella Xplore while I’m there).

tkarhu
Ski style: XCD | Nordic ice skating | XC | BC-XC
Favorite Skis: Gamme | Falketind Xplore | Atomic RC-10
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard | boots that fit

Post by tkarhu » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:09 am

Inspiredcapers wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:33 pm
What time of winter do your friends prefer? I’m thinking end of January/beginning of February would give me the conditions I’m seeking for trail (and off trail) conditions as well as the Northern Light display.
My friends have spent many months there, between November and May. I guess for downhill, midwinter and your plan should be great I guess. Springtime would be nice because snow is hard and XC is easy and fast anywhere in open mountain areas in Finnish Lapland generally. Yet for downhill re-frozen snow must be challenging.

I googled some Ylläs off piste videos, and steepest runs will be too steep for Gamme or leather boots I’d say. Off piste is vapaalasku in Finnish, so if you type Ylläs vapaalasku to Google you can see yourself. So I would take one pair of off piste capable downhill skis and one pair of XC skis. Freshly groomed tracks can be slightly narrow for 68 mm ski tips, 60 mm or less is more convenient on tracks in Finland. Off track XC-BC can be hard work in midwinter because snow is probably deep and soft.

For Åsnes or other Norwegian skis, I would buy them in Norway to save import duties and taxes because Norway has a much larger market for telemark type skis. Norway is outside European Union, and people can move more freely than commerce deliveries. You can find reasonable price downhill and XC skis in Finland too easily. Tromsö is a few hours drive from Ylläs, a university town and should have good mountain sports stores.

Inspiredcapers

Post by Inspiredcapers » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:37 pm

Tkarhu,

Thanks for all the insight you’ve shared with me, lots of great information. Passing through Norway is something highly desirable on my itinerary. Starting to think I’m going to need a couple of weeks for this journey.