TR: Big Otter Truck Trail, Haderondah Wilderness, ADKs, NY

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
MikeK

TR: Big Otter Truck Trail, Haderondah Wilderness, ADKs, NY

Post by MikeK » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:09 pm

Headed out this morning at 6am, hit the TH by 10am... couldn't decide which skis to take, was sure the trail would be broken but my wife put a leaky water bottle in her Alaskas, and they got soaked, so she had to wear her Excursions/Epochs - that settled my decision. Svartisens/S Bounds. It was a good choice.

First 3/10 of the mile is a snowmobile trail, and a popular one at that so I had no idea what we were in for. Much to my surprise the trail was NOT broken, a big surprise seen as how the conditions were perfect and it's a relatively popular ski trail. So the decision to take the fatter skis was a wise one - I would have turned back and switched if I hadn't opted the way I did.

We broke trail up and over the shoulder of Moose River Mountain. Conditions were excellent.

This trail isn't really much of a challenge. It's an easy ski - Moose River Mountain is not steep at all, but what it lacks in pitch, it makes up for in solitude.

There are no views on the top of the hill, so we didn't venture up the summit trail. My wife really enjoyed her Excursions - she says they are a better match for the Epochs and had no issues K&G with them.
Last edited by MikeK on Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: TR: Big Otter Truck Trail, Haderondah Wilderness, ADKs,

Post by Johnny » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:54 am

my wife put a leaky water bottle in her Alaskas, and they got soaked, so she had to wear her Excursions/Epochs
On purpose? She'd probably never admit it... 8-)

Ahahahah! Nice report chief!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:07 pm

Wow!
Hope you never got too scared ! That trail looks wicked!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This has inspired me to do a TR of out local sledding hill..If those damned kids would just keep off my grass!!!!
Last edited by Raventele on Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, on the road to Shambala"

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:13 pm

She might have... she really likes those plastic boots :oops:

We skied in Pigeon Lakes Wilderness today, with the skinnies and leathers. It was fine... we both wiped out once: my wife hit a rock on a washed out downhill, me skirting around some blowdown.

Only about 10 miles from where we were on Saturday but a lot less snow in most spots. Base was rock hard, ice in most cases but had enough powder over it to keep it from feeling like ice.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:19 pm

Our sledding hills are steeper than any part of this trail - I'll look forward to a report. Will there be cheese?

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:53 pm

BTW this is my wife's ski theme:

[video][/video]

You can thank 1987-88, possibly cocaine, and me after you watch it.

Dongshow

Post by Dongshow » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:35 pm

Raventele wrote:Wow!
Hope you never got too scared ! That trail looks wicked!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This has inspired me to do a TR of out local sledding hill..If those damned kids would just keep off my grass!!!!
Are you a dick in real life too?