Arctic Sweden-Norway (last April)

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Arctic Sweden-Norway (last April)

Post by randoskier » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:15 pm

These are some pics from the first of my two trips to northern Norway and Sweden last winter. On this April tour my wife and I skied from Hemevan, Sweden to Bodo, Norway. Crossed the Artfjellet, Ranafjellet, and Saltfjellet mountain ranges. Mostly rolling tour with some long lakes in the mix- typical days range from 20 to 30km, cabin to cabin. The ski out to the Arctic highway had a vertical drop of about 2,000 feet, nice finish. We only saw one other party, on the penultimate day- a group of seven French skiers, all pulling pulks- excellent skiers. We saw no other human tracks.

My wife broke her foot during this tour and then skied over 150km with a Lisfranc fracture, she had surgery when we returned. She got the screws out in October and was telemarking on the big Alpine slopes in Austria by Thanksgiving so she will be good to go for this year's northy outings. We both used Madshus Eon skis and Rott 3-pin bindings, I used Alico ski-march boots, she used very light Garmont leather boots (too light), we had kicker skins but did not use them, not so hard to get traction with 26kg backpacks. She just bought some Crispi Svartisen boots from Mike K and tested them this past week in Austria- likes them, though that was mostly following the Oetz river i.e. flat. She will try some turns this weekend in the Dolomites. I am switching to NNN BC Magnum bindings (I can't tele anyway) and picked up a pair of Madshus Glittertind boots, they seem fine.

I spend a lot of time in Norway, I love it up there- great people and great country, shame about the weather though... All of these pics are from the final two days, fairly heavy weather the rest of the trip, much white-out, tons of snow.
The Missus.jpg
^The Missus

DSC08032.jpg
Moi
DSC08334.jpg
The French Quarter (there are two cabins on this site)
DSC08431.jpg
The last day's climb
DSC08393.jpg
We strategically let the seven pulks leave first in the morning! Looking back at the last cabin.
DSC08537.jpg
The ski out to the valley where the Arctic Highway and the single-track Nordland Railway is.
DSC08286.jpg
Last edited by randoskier on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Young Satchel

Re: Arctic Sweden-Norway (last April)

Post by Young Satchel » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:40 pm

This is epic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:40 am

Awesome...! More please...! 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:20 pm

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing! Hemavan is my main skiing area, we have a cabin up there.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:10 pm

Hej Bjorn, you are lucky to have a cabin there, are you from Mo i Rana? I love the Vindalfjellet- I have walked it twice and skied it once. Do you know the Skidbäcksstugan cabin? I met a Norwegian woman who loves that place, she says she wants her ashes scattered there when she dies. It does have a soul!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:59 pm

I am dying this is so awesome! Holy shit!

(more like freaking out than dying)

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:45 am

Randoskier: I live down at the Swedish coast in Umeå. Haven’t been to skidbäckstugan, but I usually visit artfjället in the autumn to look for chantarelles. I mostly ski at the resorts Hemavan and Tärnaby, and when I tour it is mostly around the Syter peaks.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:33 pm

Randoskier, thank you for sharing the beautiful photos. I have not even read much of ski touring in Norway. It appears that you had a wonderful adventure.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:39 am

Thank you for sharing this. And yes- please- more in the future! My wife and I fell in love trekking together- our current family situation prevents it at the moment- but we hope to continue doing trips like this in the future.

Gorgeous snow! Did you have the Eon wax or the Omnitrack?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

anemic

Post by anemic » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:56 am

Thanks for a spectacular trip report
Call it Nordic Freeride