Asnes MT65 (USGI) Combat Skis

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Asnes MT65 (USGI) Combat Skis

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:07 am

What follows is the beginning of a full-season review (I say "full-season" with optimism, considering how late the snow base is!) on the Asnes USGI Combat skis.

YES- they are from Coleman's Surplus. We have two pair (210 & 200cm). I will be testing the 210cm primarily. My wife may ski on the 200s- but she may grab my 210cm more often than not!

I have been looking at these skis for a few years...in life many things that seem too good to be true- turn out that way...but in this case these skis are the real deal: high-quality, backcountry-xcountry skis, made in Norway, by no less than the legendary Asnes.

I bought these babies back in May- they have been burning a hole in my head as they have sat in my shed awaiting the snow to return. I would prefer to have waited until I had many miles on them- but I might as well get started on my review- as I can't seem to shut up about them!

I am very impressed with them...they are actually beautifully made, wooden skis- they do have a thin top sheet of some kind, and in the binding zone there is a thin metal (aluminum) sheet, under the top sheet (I discovered this when I mounted bindings on them). They have no sidewall on them at all- you can see the solid wood (which looks really cool- not sure how durable it will be?). They have an unpolished p-tex base (strikes me as extruded- but I'm not sure how to tell), that is waxable- I have both hot-waxed and grip-waxed them- they seem to hold wax well. I would think finishing the bases would probably be a good idea. Full-length steel edges. They are remarkably light. (haven't weighed them)

Both of our pairs have a 78-67-73mm profile (a bit wider than advertised), are double-cambered- with a smooth, full-length flex- no rocker in the tip at all. They have old-school, raised and pointed xcountry tips. Everything about them is old-school except for the binding I mounted- NNNBC-Magnum bindings on them at the balance point (for pure xcountry skiing performance). (they remind me greatly of my old 215cm Karhu backcountry skis that I skied on for almost 20 years- they were my father's before that)

Despite Coleman's advertising them as "xcountry-downhill"- they seem intended as a pure backcountry-xcountry ski- not only because of the profile, camber and flex. (I have not tested them on the downhill yet) Although I can easily imagine striding through telemark turns with them, the double camber at that length (I'm on 210cm), with very little sidecut, will make it challenging to carve with. Also- the lack of protective sidewall might not stand up to the abusive of a lot of downhill skiing? I did not buy them as a true XCD ski- I intend to use them as a K&G-focused backcountry-xcountry ski (although due to the terrain I am skiing on, will require frequent descents- which should be exciting)

First impressions, from two 10km tours on fresh soft snow (12 inches):
- they track perfectly straight
- excellent off-track traction with a full 67mm width underfoot
- wonderful kick and glide snap
- the flex pattern certainly performs well on fresh snow over a solid base (in this test- 12" of fresh snow over pasture-field)

The old-school profile and flex is more than kind of refreshing. In a predominantly XC context- the lack of sidecut and the extra width underfoot are much appreciated. A current-model E-109 for example only has 60mm underfoot- my Eons have 62. It seems the trend is that almost every ski has to have extreme sidecut these days- even skis that are intended for deep powder and/or K&G. These skis are a throw-back to a time when flat-out cruising took priority over "easy-turning" in the backcountry (and let's not forget that this ski does have sidecut- traditional Nordic skiers have been telemarking on long, relatively straight skis for a VERY long time)

I will continue this review of these when I get a chance, and after I get more miles on them (and perhaps get a photo or two of them! I'm afraid I'm not much for taking photographs.)

At $20 for 1 pair, or $30 for two- deal of the century! I got my bindings on clearance this summer for $50= $65 setup!? I am very pleased. (Coleman's even puts them "on sale" every few months!)

BTW- I bought the Karhu Combat skis off of Ebay as well...have not mounted bindings on them yet- am leaning towards 3-pin-cable...they are much more of downhill ski (heavier, wider, shorter, more sidecut, single-camber).
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Asnes USGI Combat Skis

Post by bgregoire » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:48 am

Would you care to weight the skis for us? I'd me happe with the 200cm + magnum weight!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:59 pm

Yes- I can weigh them...don't have a scale- so stay tuned! I will try for photos and weight in the near future...

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:20 pm

Found a weight measurement off of a different site:

"3.68 kg with NNN-BC magnum bindings, or 3.16 kg without"

Cannot confirm the accuracy of this yet.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:24 pm

lilcliffy wrote:"3.68 kg with NNN-BC magnum bindings, or 3.16 kg without"
...for a pair of 200cm skis.

Wow, that would make them about 750-850g heavier than an equivalent 200cm Asnes pair of skis (Ingstad/Nansen mix). How do you figure that can be explained given I thought all Asnes were full wood core?
Last edited by bgregoire on Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:05 pm

There seems to be much confusion on other sites between the Asnes Combat skis and the Karhu- I have both of them.

That weight seems more consistent with the Karhus- which are significantly heavier than the Asnes.

I'll see if I can use a scale at work to get an exact weight.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:11 pm

Out on a short tour (approx. 10kms) again today- on fresh snow again (30+cm: layers of snow and ice pellets with fresh soft snow on top). Took in a little more vertical today so I could try some turns.

I would not describe them as "easy turnin", but I strode through some telemarks and they felt smooth and stable. I felt balanced as I lifted them, weighted and unweighted.

They are fast- very fast, and snappy.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:51 am

Pictures pictures please!

jooleyen

Post by jooleyen » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:19 pm

Did you get a chance to weigh them and what length for a 155lbs guy? and how do they compare to glittertinds?

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:25 pm

Well, I read through the "Fischer E-109 vs. Asnes Ingstad" thread, hoping to justify purchasing a pair of E109s. That thread got me thinking about Asnes skis and how I really just want a old-school, long, minimal sidecut, BC ski that is waxable and good for skiing long distance in variable/deep snow. THEN I saw this review thread and the lightbulb went off: these are exactly what I THINK i'm looking for. In 210, NNN-BC. So I bought them ($20/pair). It's funny that the shipping on those skis is more than 2x the price of the skis! I can't want to get them out on the snow. Thanks for the great and informative review LC and thanks to all those who posted the kick-assed info on the Fischer E-109 vs. Asnes Ingstad thread.