Voile Vector BCs

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Voile Vector BCs

Post by connyro » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:25 pm

SKIS: Voile Vector BC 180 with Voile SBx2 bindings/Excursion boots (I also throw in impressions of the non-scaled Vectors 180/AXLs/Ener-g when relevant)

ME: 80+ days/season, 185# 5'10", XC and alpine skiing since I was a little kid. I use the Vector BCs mostly for breaking trails and touring for turns in hardwood forest, on terrain anywhere from low-angle to yo-yoing closed local ski hill, to steep, super-deep powder and spring corn.

Similar skis I like: Karhu Guides 185
Similar skis I don't like: Rossi BC125 175
Similar skis I would like to try: Altai Koms, Voile V6BC, Voile ChargerBC

I've been skiing on the Vector BCs for 3 full seasons (mine are the white and green ones from a few years ago.) Where I live and ski, we have a great deal of public accessible land with short but rugged steep hills, thick hardwoods, and usually very deep, cold snow pack. In a nutshell, these skis are my favorites. They feel like 'cheating' on the ups and downs when I am out skiing with my buddies who are on Karhu Guides and Rossi BC125s. When they have skins on, I am usually still using scales for climbing: they are that good!

UPHILL/TOURING: They out-climb any scaled ski I've been on and by a long shot. They do not climb as well as full skins but in spring conditions, they actually come pretty close! The rockered tip really makes a positive difference when breaking trail. They do not track straight when touring on packed snowmobile or other hard surface trails. They are surprisingly light considering their size, although noticeably heavier than my 185 Karhu Guides with 3-pins but similar to 175 BC125s with SB bindings. They are tolerable for slogging on flats: not ideal but tolerable.

DOWNHILL/TURNING: These skis rock on the downhill. The rockered tips really bring them to the surface once you get going. They float enough in deep snow to allow a surfy/smeary feel when turning on steeps. The amount of control is incredible, fast or slow. They are stiff enough to hold an edge on scraped up hardpack too (regular non-scaled Vectors). These skis feel slow on groomed and hardpacked snow due to the aggressive positive scale pattern and lack of camber. These skis do not like to be skied in the backseat at all and seem to have a speed limit on hard groomed snow (Non-scaled Vectors), meaning that they start getting squirrely at high speeds. They handle bumps and crud well enough to not be distracting. These skis are at home in deep soft snow (once you get some speed and get them on their edges, these things can turn on a dime!) but hold their own on hard or even semi-icy conditions.

CONCLUSION: IMO, the Vector BCs are not in the same class as the Karhu Guides/Annums or the Rossi BC125s. The main differences are that the Vector BCs have tip rocker/tail rise, sintered tip and tails, full metal edges (Guides and BC125s edges don't wrap around the tips), and alpine ski construction: they are the same ski as the regular non-scaled Vectors except the BCs have the extruded scaled section underfoot. For fast, light touring that does not involve a focus on turning, I like long skinny setups. I love my Guides/3-pins for touring in deep snow, low-angle turns, and spring corn. I love the Vector BCs for just about anything more aggressive besides skiing at a resort on groomed snow and for that, the regular non-scaled Vectors or full on alpine boards would be my choice.
Last edited by connyro on Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Re: Vector BCs

Post by CIMA » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:15 pm

Nice review!
A mountain ski guide of whom I know loves Vector BC and Charger BC for their easiness of maneuvering on relatively flat slopes with powder during BC skiing.
He is on Scalpa T2 and Voile Switchback.
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Voile Vector BCs

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:53 am

Excellent review man.

From this review and reading some of your other posts- the terrain/climate/snow conditions sound quite similar to central and western NB (non-coastal).

Sounds like you are using the Guide/Annum more like I have been in recent years- as a powder XC touring ski.

Your description of the Vector BC performance mirrors my limited experience with it. The climbing and turning performance is one thing- but the strength and stability of this ski on steep and difficult snow, puts this ski (as you stated) in a whole different class than fat XC skis. Currently lusting over a pair...

I can imagine mountain-touring with the Vector BC on snow with some depth to it...not sure if I'd want to tour with it on dense snow.

I am interested in your perspective on the BC125 vs. the Vector BC...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.