Peltonen Metsä Step 270

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Peltonen Metsä Step 270

Post by Inspiredcapers » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:19 pm

This is a very different creature when it comes to fun in the snow. I’ve been out in various conditions the last couple of months and find them an interesting diversion from the other skis in my arsenal. The majority of my time on them has been with the Alpina Pioneer Tech and a couple of outings with Alpha Frees. I’m finding the Pioneer Tech a better match for day long comfort with the Metsä. If you haven’t guessed yet, I’ve got them mounted with Xplore.

The deepest snow (powdery, unpacked) I’ve been in so far this year has been hip deep when I’ve stepped off the Metsäs- so roughly 90 cm. On the skis it looks like I’m averaging 20 cm of sinking in (less than many snowshoe tracks i see in similar conditions). Not bad for a 100 kilo guy (not including 20L pack with various clothes/water/food…

This is a VERY soft ski (camber compression is quite similar to my 205 Ingstad). Due to its length theres some slight banana effect but it didn’t seem to be much of an issue for forward mobility (78 cm of scale per ski likely has much to do with that). Unfortunately this softer camber doesn’t allow for any energy storage like I’ve found in the MR48, Gamme, or USGI. (Sidenote, the stiffest camber I’ve personally encountered was the Alpina Discovery 80 208 length- too stiff). I did find myself wondering if there would be any benefit to stiffening this ski up a bit, some of that energy derived from more camber could be useful. While a person (meaning an older dog like me) can get some kick n’glide out of the Metsä in ideal conditions for awhile I’ve found it far more efficient to use the quads to mobilize these long planks.

As far as turning these skis, a person becomes even more adept at step turns, particularly if you’re on twisty logging roads. If conditions are right (long slope, powdery
snow you can get into a telemark stance and make some long, sweeping turns. I found that as I was getting tired later in the day I’d be keeping both heels down for better control. I don’t think Xplore is the right binding if this was to be a major part of ones Metsä experience, I suspect a 3 pin with cable would be advantageous. Doing snowplough on the descent is pretty tiring after awhile and I’ve had two successful hockey stops in wide open spaces with powder over a consolidated base…and several unsuccessful ones where the first thing you do is look around hoping no one witnessed the epic (aka comical) failure. STAY OFF SINGLETRACK!!! It will not end well.

As far as uphill travel they’ve got decent uphill mobility (that 78 cm of scale per ski shines here). Doing a Herringbone is surprisingly easy with the Metsä and leaves a pretty impressive pattern in the snow. I’ve carried skins with me (they’re 210 in length so the end just past my heel) but haven’t had to use yet.

I’ve glide waxed 3 times now (number 4 today) and maybe its just in my head but I’ve noticed the glide seems to be improving. I’ve had a couple of issues with snow buildup on the scales when it’s getting warmer during the day. Up to this point I’ve used a liquid glide wax to deal with that but I’m thinking of melting some Polar into the grip zone, buffing it in, and seeing how that works to combat buildup. The bases are very soft and easy to gouge so staying away from thin snow conditions is sensible.

My Metsäs were mounted at balance point putting my pin center roughly 150 cm from the tip (thus having about 120 cm from pin center to tail). Apparently using balance point is Peltonen recommended way of mounting. Theme indicates a different formula for mounting that I might consider. I get why Peltonen makes the suggestion they do for enhanced forward mobility in deep snow but I strongly suspect that moving pin center forward a bit would help with control. Another minor point- while these are by no means an asymmetrical ski I’ve had to make a right/left designation otherwise my skis tend to ‘V’ out while traveling…strangely enough they don’t ^ in.

As far as snow travel, they kick ass in undisturbed situations where you’ve got powder over a decent base. The couple of times I’ve been on a skiff of snow over a compacted base (such as a sled track) the scales start to do the highway rumble strip annoying thing. I’ve noticed ‘The Herd’- aka snowshoers sink much deeper than me (I’ve also noticed they like to follow my tracks a lot).

A couple of musings…I’d really like to try a wax version of this ski, I suspect it would be considerably smoother. If it was set up with something like an Xskin provision it would become that much more versatile. And if it was set up with a stiffer camber that would be interesting as well. I can’t help but think that if Åsnes offered the Nato in a 270 length it would be an interesting ski (Hello Åsnes, anybody listening?).

One last observation- when I take these off and step onto a 210 ski it’s astounding how nimble you feel in them.

Rant over

Inspiredcapers

Re: Peltonen Metsä Step 270

Post by Inspiredcapers » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:04 pm

Was out earlier today playing before temperatures went up. Had at least 12” of powder on a compacted base. I was able to pull some very gradual teleturns- had the Pioneers tightened right up and the forefoot on the inside of the turn working overtime. If I had the Ingstads I suspect I could have twice the turns in the same stretch of road (theres a few more where the road bends off to the right at top). A couple of hours later the sun had done its work and that powder had consolidated considerably, turns became a lot more of an effort.

The Polar I flooded and buffed out in the scales seemed to do what I’d hoped for, when I finished up it was melty out and no snow sticking.
IMG_8161.jpeg
IMG_8159.jpeg
Last edited by Inspiredcapers on Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:08 pm

These certainly leave a signature track, really cool. Looked like sled trails at first!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:42 am

@Inspiredcapers
VERY VERY 8-)
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland

Post by Capercaillie » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:45 pm

Inspiredcapers wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:19 pm
Doing a Herringbone is surprisingly easy with the Metsä and leaves a pretty impressive pattern in the snow.
Not something I ever expected to hear about 270cm skis. Very cool.

What niche do you think these skis occupy in your ski collection? And how do you transport them?

corlay
Ski style: Woodland XC-BC tours
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme 54, Fischer Transnordic 66, Fischer Traverse 78; Madshus Birke Beiner, Peltonen METSA
Favorite boots: Crispi Norland Hook BC, Fischer BC Grand Tour

Post by corlay » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:49 pm

Capercaillie wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:45 pm
And how do you transport them?
snow hasn't cooperated here in NY this season, so i haven't been able to *use* mine, yet.
but your "transport" question is well-taken.
I drive a VW "hot hatch", and these planks run from the rear of the hatch,
to the front portions resting on my dash. ;-)

Inspiredcapers

Post by Inspiredcapers » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:31 am

Yup Hartley, those long skis for sure make a different kinda turning track, I’m really curious as to how they’ll do in lighter powder/colder snow situations.

High Praise from the King of Kool himself. I’m looking forward to your review next season lilcliffy.

Capercaillie n’ corlay- I’ve got an F150 with a 6.5’ box, the ends of the skis stick out a couple of feet. Im getting pretty serious about building a slide in camper/canopy thats set up for winter use.

As far as what niche they fit, they’ve created their own. The flotation is everything I’d hoped for and I’m finding the flexibility combined with relatively light weight for a ski of this size. They’ll never have the manoeuvrability of my Ingstads, the all around versatility of NATO, the enthusiasm of Gamme, the swiftness of MR48, or carve lice the BC120 waxer…what they do is offer access to deeper snow for a few hours, maybe even a couple of days touring in rolling hill country, forestry maintenance roads, and setting track for access to favourable areas a person whant to experience with some frequency,

And having said all that my ski season came to an abrupt halt last night when I broke my Tibia at work 😕

corlay
Ski style: Woodland XC-BC tours
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme 54, Fischer Transnordic 66, Fischer Traverse 78; Madshus Birke Beiner, Peltonen METSA
Favorite boots: Crispi Norland Hook BC, Fischer BC Grand Tour

Post by corlay » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:10 pm

Inspiredcapers wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:31 am
and setting track for access to favourable areas a person whant to experience with some frequency,
That's why I bought mine.
In a good dumping of snow, I envision breaking trail with these.
Then next time out, probably opt for a more traditionally sized/cambered ski, in those "tracks"
Inspiredcapers wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:31 am
And having said all that my ski season came to an abrupt halt last night when I broke my Tibia at work 😕
Oh no!

Inspiredcapers

Post by Inspiredcapers » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:31 pm

One of the beautiful things about the track the Metsäs leave is that they dont have as much of a rippling effect for others to follow- not completely linear like a groomed track but still quite smooth.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:40 pm

Hey Mr. I,
How did you manage to get long forest skis to your door? Was shipping really expensive?