XPlore boots comparison

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
fledersau
Ski style: BC XC/D ex. Telemark 75mm, Snowboardcross and Alpine Skier
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad Waxless 195cm, Asnes Rabb 188cm, Madshus Panorama M62
Favorite boots: Rossignol XP12 and BC X7

XPlore boots comparison

Post by fledersau » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:45 am

Disclaimer:
These are my impressions, and while i try to be objective, your experience may vary.

I compare the Alfa Free A/P/S, Alfa Skaget, Fischer BCX Traverse, Alpina Alaska XP and Rossignol XP12.
I tried every boot, but only skied the last 2 and have the most experience with the Rossignol.

I made this overview because if you have to buy online without trying, it's hard to know, which boot fits best to your foot and to your need. I bought the XP 12 at the beginning of the season, because it was the only one i could find for a reasonable price and was able to try on before buying. but because i had no comparison to other XP boots, it was hard for me to see where on the whole XP lineup the XP12 is situated... Finally i realise the XP12 is a much more capable boot than i thought in the beginning and i'd even say it's a good alternative to an Alfa Free for people with a slimmer wallet (and probably a wider foot). Even if i don't like the skis of Rossignol, nor the look of the boot, i'm impressed by the product.

And to the other boot that hasn't got alot of Exposure, the Fischer BCX Traverse. It's ALOT like the Fischer Transnordic, really upright, really high, really warm. I think it would be a nice boot for an Expedition. On downhill it would be sturdy, but not as easy to control the ski as most of the others... there is alot of padding and it probably dampens the whole experience, but will be really warm.

On the Alpina Alaska XP. I'm mostly in line with Johnny review, such a great XCd boot, i was faster than ever on k&g (even if my feet hurt), so different of the normal alaska BC or / 75, much softer upper. I'd give this boot a lower score on downhill, because of lack of support on the ankle/upper part, but probably that's the difference of skiing skill between Johnny and me...

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: XPlore boots comparison

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:08 pm

Superbe!
Thank you for this!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Peter P
Ski style: Converted skate skier
Favorite Skis: Rabb68

Post by Peter P » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:36 am

Can you add what size you tried in each boot? That would be helpful for interpreting your fit ratings.

At the beginning of the season, I ordered both the Alaska XP and Alfa Free to try for fit, and eventually kept the XP (I was looking for an all-around boot) and returned the Free. Based on previous fit comments here, I ordered the XP in a 44 and the Free in 43. Very similar fit (IMO) and I also noticed that the two boots were built on the same sized sole (even through the XP was a 44 and the Free was 43). I'm wondering if this could explain the two Alfas having larger fit ratings overall, if you tried them both in the same size.

fledersau
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad Waxless 195cm, Asnes Rabb 188cm, Madshus Panorama M62

Post by fledersau » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:17 pm

Hi peter, i tried all the boots in size 43.
Lengthwise i didn't found a to big of a difference between the Alpina and the Alfa Free, but in Width, yes...

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:46 pm

I wanted to highlight the Alfa Skaget XP boot-
(I just bought a pair)

I am surprised and very impressed with the Alfa Skaget boot- it is well-designed and finely made.
- superb lacing
- moderate width and boot volume (less volumous than the Guard/Vista)
- supreme heel-ankle-calf contouring and padding
- stiff, stable sole flex
- high, supportive shaft
- flexible rear achilles section for optimal striding
- very light

Not only does this boot fit me better than the more expensive Guard/Vista- I personally think that it is a better design for BC-XC touring...

The leather on the Guard/Vista is higher quality- but that can be dealt with easily with leather treatment.

Skaget- highly recommended- don't overlook it.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:21 pm

I totally agree with lilcliffy, but will add some comments.
- The ability to lace forefoot, heel and ankle with different tension is great.
- I think the lower lace hoops with balls on Vista is better, but the ones on Skaget works fine.
- The padding feels a bit strange before Skaget is laced up, but then it is very comfortable.
- I prefer the higher shaft for all-round tours, but might prefer Vista/Alaska for flatter tours.

- The leather is not waterproof and there is no membrane. It is fine in cold snow and I have crossed small creeks with them, but last Easter it was warmer and snow melted so I got quite moist feet/boots. I assume treatment is needed and will help.

The boot is great value, and I like it very much, so much that I bought an extra pair on sale.

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland

Post by Capercaillie » Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:30 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:46 pm
Not only does this boot fit me better than the more expensive Guard/Vista- I personally think that it is a better design for BC-XC touring...
+1 on the endorsement. Skaget is an overlooked boot and a good example of "more expensive is not always better."

@lilcliffy how do you think the Skaget compares to the Alaska? I have never handled Alaskas, but looking at my Skagets, and at photos of Alaskas, they certainly look like a very similar design from the outside.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:51 pm

@Capercaillie
The Skaget is the closest XP boot I have seen in design to the original Alaska BC/75.
(The "Alaska" XP is a completely different design than the Alaska BC/75.)
Last edited by lilcliffy on Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:42 pm

Capercaillie wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:30 pm
...how do you think the Skaget compares to the Alaska? I have never handled Alaskas, but looking at my Skagets, and at photos of Alaskas, they certainly look like a very similar design from the outside.
My wife had pains under the foot in her size 37 Alaska 75mm, but but her foot had probably stretched a bit and the boot had also become too small. She now has the Skaget in size 38 and for the first time seems to have found a ski boot she really likes (she get blisters from almost any ski or regular boot). Skaget was much lighter than Alaska 75, 617 vs 890 grams (Alaska XP was 650g), but a significant amount of it is probably due to the steel reinforcement plate around the pin holes; the boot felt very heavy at the toe.

I have Alfa Skaget, but have tested Alpina Alaska 75/BC and XP in shop. I believe I have a normal foot, but the Alaska is a bit narrow in the forefoot so I had to increase one size for it to fit (41 vs 42). Alaska is much less contoured/padded in the heel/shaft and feels a bit more comfortable than Skaget when I first put my foot in it, but when laced up both Skaget and Alaska 75/BC feels nice. I very much like the higher shaft, so I was not that interested in Alpina XP. As stated earlier Skaget has no membrane, while Alaska has.

fledersau

Post by fledersau » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:42 pm

Yes, just last week i looked at the Skaget and said to a friend that this is the boot that compares the most to the original Alaska, main difference ist probably slightly wider in front and the heel ankle grip cushions that are fantastic. I also had the chance to try on the Pioneer Pro and Pioneer Techs, while the Pioneer Pro is quite comparable to the original alaska on the torsional stiffness, i think fore aft it's a bit softer than the original alaska and the Skaget and the pioneer Tech is a little bit stiffer torsionally and about the same in the fore aft and the alpinas are quite small i'd size one up from the Skaget. I didn't ski those boots, but i tried them on in the shop where i work.