2024 Alpina Pioneer TECH XP Backcountry/Telemark ski boot review XPLORE

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Re: 2024 Alpina Pioneer TECH XP Backcountry/Telemark ski boot review XPLORE

Post by telerat » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:49 am

Nice to see people testing the Pioneer Tech. Thanks for the impressions and pictures with the Fischer BCX Traverse. Alpina Xplore boots are very expensive here in Norway, so I am unsure if I will buy this boot. I also did try Pioneer Pro in a shop and it felt too wide and soft for me to consider it, but it might have been to big so I will try the Tech if I get the chance. It looks like a thin, snug, fast boot for warmer conditions, and could be a nice alternative to my Alfa Skaget or the Alfa Vista/Alpina Alaska and Crispi Futura for such conditions. It's nice to see a decent number of alternative ski boots.

How will you describe the lacing; Is it easy to get really snug, and how is adjusting? How is side support and can you take a picture of it? I'm curious on how stiff the heel/lower is when bending sideways, and if it is comfortable or cuts into the side of the foot/heel. I do like taller boots, so that looks fine without trying it on.
Theme wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:22 pm
...I presume I will be bringing the Pi Tech on my Norge på Langs attempt this winter, and have the Pi Pro as backup. Heck, I might end up trying both. Still need to do testing before I choose.
Welcome to Norway. Good luck and I hope your trip will be great.

FrenchFred
Ski style: Cross Country Downhill - Mainly downhill
Favorite Skis: FT62, K2 Backlite 74
Favorite boots: Alaska NNNBC, Alpha Free XP

Post by FrenchFred » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:23 am

Hy all
I just bought my Pioneer Tech this week-end... waiting for snow.
First feeling :
- very light
- tight fit, not as roomy as Alpha shoes.
- lacing system works well
- the sole flex like Alpina Alaska NNNBC
- good ankle support

Can't wait to give you more feed back.

See you
Fred

Theme
Ski style: Nordic BCX
Favorite Skis: Still searching
Favorite boots: Alfa Outback 2.0
Occupation: Hiker trash, gear junkie, ski bum and anything inbetween

Post by Theme » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:17 am

telerat wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:49 am
Nice to see people testing the Pioneer Tech. Thanks for the impressions and pictures with the Fischer BCX Traverse. Alpina Xplore boots are very expensive here in Norway, so I am unsure if I will buy this boot. I also did try Pioneer Pro in a shop and it felt too wide and soft for me to consider it, but it might have been to big so I will try the Tech if I get the chance. It looks like a thin, snug, fast boot for warmer conditions, and could be a nice alternative to my Alfa Skaget or the Alfa Vista/Alpina Alaska and Crispi Futura for such conditions. It's nice to see a decent number of alternative ski boots.

How will you describe the lacing; Is it easy to get really snug, and how is adjusting? How is side support and can you take a picture of it? I'm curious on how stiff the heel/lower is when bending sideways, and if it is comfortable or cuts into the side of the foot/heel. I do like taller boots, so that looks fine without trying it on.
Theme wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:22 pm
...I presume I will be bringing the Pi Tech on my Norge på Langs attempt this winter, and have the Pi Pro as backup. Heck, I might end up trying both. Still need to do testing before I choose.
Welcome to Norway. Good luck and I hope your trip will be great.
IMO the support does not give me any discomfort. But I have not yet got to ski on the boots.

The lacing is good, almost the same as on Pioneer Pro but one more lace hook on the shaft. I think this allows a tighter fit for the ankle.

I maybe need to adjust the lacing a bit. I can get the foot very tight but I do not want to have the shaft as tight. If I leave the shaft loose, the laces on the foot end will slowly loosen up. A simple knot will fix this.

Only discomfort I have found is with the edge of the shaft. The tongue kind of pushes against my shin, but not as badly as on my Alaska XP. Pioneer Pro was the most comfortable out of these boots but Tech is more supportive. My pair is also more lightweight that Pi Pro.

Tech does have more volume, in regards to height. Pi Pro and Alaska XP have tight space for toes, Tech has a bit more room upwards. But it is easier to lace the Tech tighter. There is no leather, so the outer is more pliable.

Here is a short gif of the ankle support on Pi Tech. It does bend some, it is not as supportive as Alfa Free. But these feel way more comfortable for XC. The sole does feel softer too, but I think this is because of the fabric upper.

https://imgur.com/a/ioTKRb1

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:44 am

Thanks a lot @Theme. The boot and ankle support looks good and actually better than I expected without a prominent kink. I hope I get the chance to test the boot in a shop sometime.

Theme

Post by Theme » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:41 am

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:17 pm

I’m liking these boots more n’ more. They’re a “snug” size 44 compared to the Alpha Guard and Fischer Transnordic but removal of the insole gives them much more noticeable wiggle room. I’d damn near call this boot supple yet it’s got support to it as well. I’ve used them with my MR48 skins on sparse/more groomed conditions and with the Natos in somewhat deeper/loose conditions, they’ve been great in both. It’s very flexible and easy to keep the forefoot planted executing turns. I can comfortably get into an extremely low (and completely useless powerwise) squat with my forefoot firmly planted (meaning I’m not up on my toes OR down on my heels). My longest day so far is only 4 hours, I don’t foresee longer days being an issue.

Brynski

Post by Brynski » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:31 am

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:10 pm

@Brynski
Thank you for sharing that review from Poland!!
Very interesting boot.
I have had some serious fit issues (and related injury over the last year)-
I would want to try these boots on before I bought them.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Theme

Post by Theme » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:28 am

Alpina accepted my warranty claim on this, but they will not ship a new pair to Norway where I would need these. 500km out of 2700km done this far, of which 400km skiing with this pair

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:50 pm

@Theme
Very crappy.
Looking at the construction and stitching of that boot-
they don't inspire quality and durability to me...
I don't think that boot would stand up to rough and abrasive conditions in my local forest ski touring...
On another note- I have been thinking about the pros and cons of Rottefella-specific outsoles-
while there are many, many benefits-
mating the outsole to the boot might be challenging with varying boot designs...

Of the 5 XP models we have- the Alfa Skaget XP seems to have the best outsole to boot matching.
All of the other boots have required me to apply cement/adhesive to seal up seams/cracks between the outsole and the boot...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.