Rossignol XP 12 XPLORE boot

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
fledersau
Ski style: BC XC/D ex. Telemark 75mm, Snowboardcross and Alpine Skier
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad Waxless 195cm, Asnes Rabb 188cm, Madshus Panorama M62
Favorite boots: Rossignol XP12 and BC X7

Rossignol XP 12 XPLORE boot

Post by fledersau » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:21 pm

Hi there,

I'm a new member, but already got a lot of information at tipps from the forum here, so i'd like to contribute something.
I know Rossignol doesn't get much love around here but lack of choice had me buy the Rossignol XP 12.

There is no snow to try the boots yet, but because i found absolutely no infos on this boot, i thought some real non-marketing photos and impressions might be helpful for y'all.

While i didn't had the opportuniy to try other Rottefella XPlore boots, i have skiing experience in Rossignol X7 NNN BC and Rossignol X10 75mm and tried on Alpina Alaskas 75 and NNN BC as well as the Salomon Escape Outback.

Fit:
The boot itself is quite larger and higher volume than the Alpina Alaskas (NNN BC and 75), the feel really comfortable and i have the impression the heel will stay nicely at its place inside the boot. The double quick lacing helps to individually adjust tension on the upper and lower part of the foot.

Flex:
The sole flexes as described on the other XPlore Boot reviews, stiff and torsionnally rigid compared to NNN BC. But there is a flex point behind the BOF and another higher up the cuff. The flex point behind the BOF gives a small pressure point along the top of the boot, curious to see how this will break in.
The cuff seems a little softer than the non XPlore Alaskas but stiffer than something like the Rossignol BC X10 (a little), or the BC X7 Salomon Escape outback (by much)

Sole flex with standard flex

Sole flex with hard flex

Look
Usually look isn't that important to me, most boots are low key and don't hurt when you look at them. But this, my o my... This thing is ugly. Golden background with black dots, cmon... Who is into that?!? The only way it's acceptable if you ironically pretend that it's some kind of leopard pattern... But yeah, don't know what happened there...

I'll give some updates on the boot as soon we have some snow around here. Has anybody else had any experience with that boot or some impressions? Curious to hear your thoughts.

Last edited by fledersau on Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Re: Rossignol XP 12

Post by Tom M » Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:59 am

I'm very interested in your ski experience with this boot. REI had them for preorder a few weeks ago and I had a set on order for Julie, but yesterday they cancelled the preorder and sent me a message saying that they could not fulfil the order because of supply issues. Julie has always skied Rossignol boots because they are the best match for her. It looks like the new design is an improvement over her current off trail boots, the BCX-6. The BCX-6 has a hook lace system and the metal hooks wear through the built-in gator after a season or two. The XP 12 has eliminated the hooks and she likes the quick lace system on her track boots so I'm betting she will like these. Rossignol's site has a few available but none in her size. Where did you purchase your set?

TeleMarcin

Post by TeleMarcin » Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:26 pm

https://en.aventurenordique.com/skiboot ... xp-12.html

Aventure Nordique in France seems to have them in stock

fledersau
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad Waxless 195cm, Asnes Rabb 188cm, Madshus Panorama M62

Post by fledersau » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:55 am

Tom M wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:59 am
I'm very interested in your ski experience with this boot. REI had them for preorder a few weeks ago and I had a set on order for Julie, but yesterday they cancelled the preorder and sent me a message saying that they could not fulfil the order because of supply issues. Julie has always skied Rossignol boots because they are the best match for her. It looks like the new design is an improvement over her current off trail boots, the BCX-6. The BCX-6 has a hook lace system and the metal hooks wear through the built-in gator after a season or two. The XP 12 has eliminated the hooks and she likes the quick lace system on her track boots so I'm betting she will like these. Rossignol's site has a few available but none in her size. Where did you purchase your set?
Hi Tom,
First thanks alot for all your content on the forum and YouTube, you helped me alot when i was getting into the sport..

I bought them at La Cordee (Québec REI without the Coop part), they have only size 42 on the website but they seem to have more sizes in some shops at the moment.
https://www.lacordee.com/en/rossignol-x ... wcB&page=1

fledersau

Post by fledersau » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:50 pm

Follow up1:
I had my first outing on these boots and on the XPlore System general. Just a short stroll on the plaines d'abraham in Québec City.

What hit me first was the stiffness of the sole. It's really quite stiff compared to NNN BC. The feel is way more direct and a little more nervous, but so much control. i was ables to kick as usual but felt more elasticity when kicking.

On the fit side i like the double quick-lacing. I could tighten down the lower part of the foot while keeping the upper quite loose. This was necessary because the boot is quite hight volume. I have a large foot and averag hight, medium arch, but i felt there still is room on top. Maybe i have to go with thicker insoles.

When trying the hard flexers, i was surprised about the difference. Walking isn't fun with those, the stays low. But descending, wow! i'm looking forward to do some xcd with that kit.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:28 pm

Thank you for the real-world test and report on this boot and binding!
I must say that the increasing number of positive reports on the Xplore system are getting hard to ignore!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

boby13
Ski style: Intuitive
Favorite Skis: Green FT's, Ingstad, Objective BC, Fischer E88, E99
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP and I have a love/hate relation with the Alfa Free!

Post by boby13 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:20 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:28 pm
I must say that the increasing number of positive reports on the Xplore system are getting hard to ignore!
Lilcliffy you know you NEED to try the xplore system! :lol:

I'm a convert now, I just don't know if I will replace my nnnbc on my e99 class skis.

I never tried the hard flexor but I don't think 75mm fans will like this system for telemark turns. It is still an hinged binding like the nnn ones.
But for me the xplore binding is better than nnnbc for deep snow travel on any terrain.

-more range of motion (really useful on hilly terrain)
-I have zero foot fatigue after long outings compared to nnn bc (probably because of the sole)
-no snow/ice buildup
-completely silent binding

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:47 am

boby13 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:20 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:28 pm
Lilcliffy you know you NEED to try the xplore system! :lol:

I'm a convert now, I just don't know if I will replace my nnnbc on my e99 class skis.

I never tried the hard flexor but I don't think 75mm fans will like this system for telemark turns. It is still an hinged binding like the nnn ones.
But for me the xplore binding is better than nnnbc for deep snow travel on any terrain.

-more range of motion (really useful on hilly terrain)
-I have zero foot fatigue after long outings compared to nnn bc (probably because of the sole)
-no snow/ice buildup
-completely silent binding
@boby13 Thank you for your perspective. If I am hearing you correctly Xplore would be awesome on an XC ski that turns such as Nansen, Ingstad, even for some guys on FT X. However it will not deliver the power of 75 mm, especially once a cable is deployed.
That is really pretty awesome, especially since it seamless transitioning between striding and downhill turns. For me it wouldn’t replace 75 mm, but hopefully years from now when I wear out my Alaska BC, Xplore pricing will encourage me to switch over from NNN-BC.

boby13
Ski style: Intuitive
Favorite Skis: Green FT's, Ingstad, Objective BC, Fischer E88, E99
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP and I have a love/hate relation with the Alfa Free!

Post by boby13 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:45 am

fisheater wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:47 am
boby13 Thank you for your perspective. If I am hearing you correctly Xplore would be awesome on an XC ski that turns such as Nansen, Ingstad, even for some guys on FT X. However it will not deliver the power of 75 mm, especially once a cable is deployed.
Yes exactly, but I haven't tried the hard flexor yet. Maybe I'll have a different opinion after that...

And I would also rephrase: It will not deliver the restriction of 75mm on your heel once the cable is deployed. ;)

The xplore binding feels more powerful to me. Then you also need the right boot.

With the standard flex, its similar to nnnbc in the way its easy to get tippy toed when you're making telemark turns. I believe 75mm is easier to pressure the ball of foot and keep the pressure for the whole turn.

But going down steep icy and crusty slopes (no telemark turn), I taking the xplore/alfa free combo! I know its hard to believe but an alfa free fully tighten feels like you're stuck in a cast. The cuff forward flex is way stiffer than on my Garmont Excursion.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:53 pm

boby13 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:20 pm
Yes, well- this says a lot!
What is your favorite boot right now- the Alaska XP?
And what do you think about the Alaska XP vs Alfa Free?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.