Ski Review- 2021 Åsnes Otto Sverdrup BC

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Ski Review- 2021 Åsnes Otto Sverdrup BC

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:48 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:27 pm
They are as good if not even better then the Ingstad for climbing.
I don't agree with you here mon cher ami!
The Sverdrup has a shorter effective edge/glide surface/running length than the Ingstad- you will find out when you go to climb something steep in truly deep snow- they will suddenly feel shorter and less supportive than the Ingstad...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:41 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:48 pm
Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:27 pm
They are as good if not even better then the Ingstad for climbing.
I don't agree with you here mon cher ami!
The Sverdrup has a shorter effective edge/glide surface/running length than the Ingstad- you will find out when you go to climb something steep in truly deep snow- they will suddenly feel shorter and less supportive than the Ingstad...
But we must agree that we have different snow conditions. I could not yet try the Sverdrup in really deep snow and not sure when I will. Again, I wonder if my additional weight does make a difference. We are expecting 15-25 cm this week and will try them on untouched snow where we should have around 40-50 cm. It seems like this ski was developed for the snow conditions we have here. We have not had breakable crust for the last 2 winters. Will see!

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:00 am

Woodserson wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:44 pm
Don't move, just for our sake and your picture taking

What are those black lines that are not ski tracks in the last picture?
those black lines are old braided cables from the old mine. yeah, will definitely miss this!

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:30 am

Stephen wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:40 pm
remind me on your all up ski weight again?

I get the idea you like the skis -- can you make comparisons or broaden commentary?

Great pics.
The way this works is that, if you're going to move, you're required to find a suitable replacement before moving.
Need content.
:lol:
thanks! lol as far as I know, no one up here is really interested in doing what I'm doing... either its competition skate skiing on groomed trails or spring crust skiing. and then alpine AT junkies skiing steep couloirs with a death wish.

about 150-155lbs. 5ft8in

As far as a comparison...it is still too early to tell

Sverdrup skis have a harder time in very deep snow...maybe due to the shorter effective length. No doubt the Ingstad would do better. But, I had no problems climbing up that steep slope in the photos.
The old FT62 would do better as they are wider ...but only in perfect conditions. I believe the Sverdrup is better in steep and deep snow than the Fischer S112.

I'm not entirely sure if the Nansen/Skog would be better or worse. I have the Skog in 185cm which is a bit long for steep skiing and perfect length for flat terrain for me. But I have gone down very steep runs early season with the Skog...they were surprisingly quite capable. I will need more time to evaluate Skog vs. Sverdrup.

It will be interesting to see how it does in spring conditions...crust, corn, and mash. So far, the winner on crust is MT51 for gentle terrain, Skog for moderate terrain. (none for steep! no ski with leather boots are good on steep crust!)

All the Asnes skis I have tried have performed well on corn. will be eager to test out the Sverdrup next month

so far, FT62 performs the best on old late season mash potato snow. ...However, I also think that the Fischer S112 does very well on mash too.

only concrete conclusions so far are Sverdrup in deep snow is difficult (as others have described already)

Sverdrup is capable on very steep slopes both up and down

Sverdrup is terrible in breakable crust and hard windblown boilerplate crust ...but then nearly all skis are bad (for me) in these conditions. I am unable to ski steep slopes of breakable crust or windblown crust. I never managed to master these conditions in leather boots. On an AT setup, I can ski windblown crust to some extent...but not breakable crust. I have friends and acquaintances who excel in these areas...so its operator error and not the equipment.

Sverdrup performs well as expected in good consolidated snow. very easy to turn, very fast and smooth.

They even do fine when the snow is a bit hard with kibbles and bits... scarred refrozen trails from snowmachines, dog walkers, snowshoers, fat tire bikes... This is not the case with S112, FT62...those are nearly unusable. MT51 barely manages because they are so light, I get tossed around when the skis hit refrozen crud. In some very difficult conditions, I often leave the skins on.

I wish I could be more help...but thats all I have. I havent put too many days into these skis so far this season. Hope to get more time soon. Its snowing today...again. So we may just keep stacking more and more snow.

none of my xcD skis do well in this midwinter deep snow.
May go to the darkside this weekend and use my AT setup. lol

Ullrsson
Ski style: Nordic BC
Favorite Skis: Fischer E88, Åsnes Amundsen, SummitCone Vagabond

Post by Ullrsson » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:56 pm

jyw5 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:30 am
thanks! lol as far as I know, no one up here is really interested in doing what I'm doing... either its competition skate skiing on groomed trails or spring crust skiing. and then alpine AT junkies skiing steep couloirs with a death wish.
I'm in AK and I've sold two friends so far (one snowboarder, one classic XCer) on Nansens this season. Reading of your experiences (and others') with the versatility of the Skog influenced my recommendation of the Nansen to them. We're definitely not up to the kind of skiing you do, but it gives us something to aspire to.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:46 am

Ullrsson wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:56 pm
jyw5 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:30 am
I'm in AK and I've sold two friends so far (one snowboarder, one classic XCer) on Nansens this season. Reading of your experiences (and others') with the versatility of the Skog influenced my recommendation of the Nansen to them. We're definitely not up to the kind of skiing you do, but it gives us something to aspire to.
thanks. check this out from summer 2020. skiied up/down Friendship Pass. Also, same day, climbed up Gold Cord Peak and skiied down parts of it.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=527&hilit=sovereign ... 680#p32483

and this one a month earlier:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=527&start=670&sid=9 ... 2436fcf941

and April 2020

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=527&p=31978&hilit=e ... 941#p31978

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:29 am

Out on the Sverdrup again today. A 1 hour tour climbing and traversing up steep ish terrain mostly covered in forest, 20 cm powder over a frozen base. Temperature was only -1 so I used a 45mm mohair skin. Perfect snow conditions otherwise. Lots of kick turning on the way oo, but on the way down normal turns were the ticket.

A few shorter stretches were on consolidated snow, I did not find the Sverdrup squirrely. They were very eager to turn and a joy to use.

In the top picture you can make out the flat portion in the mist, to put the slope into perspective.

I also found a candidate for Trondheim's best ventilated toilet near a small snow park. I guess calling it an outhouse is a bit of a stretch.

Oh, and the Fischer Transnordic boots are awesome.
20220204_115940.jpg
20220204_121942.jpg
20220204_120757.jpg

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:14 pm

Thank you for the report Roelant!!

Disclaimer-
it is important to note that when I say that I find that the Sverdrup is "squirelly" or wanders- it is in comparison to the Gamme/Amundsen (i.e. not a "fair" comparison perhaps...)

Also- as Roelant and Martin weigh more than me- perhaps there is something with regards to skier weight here- as Martin suggests?

And also- the Sverdrup is very "turny"- it wants to turn- is delightfully easy to turn- that has got at least somewhat impact its XC tracking efficiency- no?

Regardless- there is a bit of magic here- the Sverdrup is a very good XC ski- yet easy to turn!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:36 am

I've been skiing these skis the past three days, steep terrain tours Friday and Saturday and today some flatter tours with a baby in a pulk. Been having so much fun that I wonder if I reaaally need the Combat Natos as well 🤔
But they're great reliable skis. .

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:09 pm

200s Still for Sale.
Make me an offer…
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4644&sid=d78bde392d ... da0b2f25b8