Ski Boot Review- 2021 Alpina Alaska BC

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
NicoG

Re: Ski Boot Review- 2021 Alpina Alaska BC

Post by NicoG » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:25 pm

Well for the ski, I went with BC100 + nnn-bc ... yes yes I know :roll: ... it would have made more sense to go with a 3 pin, but I was not able to convince myself, notably because of you ;) and other guys here that stick with nnn-bc on epoch or s-bound 98 ... will see how it goes ... I was very very tempted by the new system (xplore) but except at varuste.net, no way to buy it on this side of the ocean, and well it have not yet been proven to be reliable (eagerly waiting for Tom's and other review ... just to be upset by my choice ;)

Concerning Alaska boot, just used them effectively for an afternoon. Long story shot : I got them used (but almost new ~ 1year old, they were still looking and smelling like new) and discovered a defect (see attached). Luckily enough the store where they have been bought accepted to exchange them without any question (La poubelle du ski) ... so I have a brand new pair now :)

I think I have a bit of toe pinch (big toe) but does not seem that bad (might be wrong). It was not painful after playing non stop for 4 hours. Flex point seems to be closer to the tip of the boot compared to the pics you show in the review (notably in the inner side).
But maybe what worry me more is that my heel was slighly red (no blister yet). I might need a thicker insole for my least strong foot but not both ... but I think I have a medium+ volume feet (how to determine that exactly ?)

Concerning the sizing I found that : https://www.glisshop.com/conseils/taill ... e-ski.html
my mondo point size is 29, but wide ... eu 46 Alsaka insole is mondo point 30+ but narrow
PXL_20220109_134818996.jpg
PXL_20220109_135305981.jpg

radiomir

Post by radiomir » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:03 pm

[/quote]
I'm a 45 in the BC 1600. I was thinking based on others' statements to downsize to a 44 (I actually have a pair of Norwegian military boots made by Alfa in 44, and they have plenty of room), but based on Alfa's chart and my mondo size, I should be in a 45.
[/quote]

I thought I'd chime in as someone else with feet that are 27.5 cm in length, with a narrow heel, wider forefoot, and I'm guessing medium volume. I have relatively short toes for my foot length, with my big toe being the longest. I have recently tried an Alaska in 45 and 46 (from REI online), and an Alfa Guard Advance (from Varuste) in 45.

45 Alaska - Good heel lock, and decent overall length, but it was too narrow at the toes and forefoot. Far too tight at the crease point for kick and glide to be comfortable. These would work, but I think I would constantly be thinking about my feet instead of being outside on snow.

46 Alaska - Good heel lock with tight lacing in the right areas, but this caused a bit of discomfort in the upper tongue. This could probably be fixed over time. The boot was still narrower than I would like, causing a small toe pinch. It had a bit more room in toe box at this size, though - enough that it would probably be workable. However, the boot was too long for me to expect ideal ski control, especially because the sole didn't seem very stiff with twisting motion. Also, the toe crease was uncomfortable with the extra material. All said, I think these could have worked also, but I ultimately I decided to send them back because I was worried about having a good connection with a ski given the relatively floppy long toe box.

Because the Alaska didn't work, I decided to take a risk an order the Alfas from Finland.

45 Alfa Guard Advance - These felt pretty good length-wise. Because of my short toes, I could probably get a way with a 44, but even the Alfas start to narrow around the toes somewhat. I would be a little worried that 44s would be too short, but they could be ideal. The width is pretty good - comfortable even - but people are not exaggerating when they say this boot has almost extreme high volume. My heel and midfoot were swimming, and I could not get a good heel lock at first. This was depressing given that my order was held up for weeks because of other items and I don't currently have any other NNN-BC boots. However, I decided to add some custom orthotics I had for other shoes below the alfa insole, and with a single pair of medium Darn Tough hiking socks and tight lacing, the boots actually feel really good. There is still a bit of a wonky toe crease (again, short toes), but the leather is so soft and plush, it doesn't pinch too much. They also seem to be stiffer when twisting (while simultaneously being softer along a perfectly perpendicular crease line), so I think they will provide a good connection to skis.

I still wonder if 44s would be better (or Lundhags), but these boots are light, comfortable, and I think will work just fine. Still am thinking of ordering 44s just to see though, and returning the ones that I don't keep (even if shipping will be expensive).

Ullrsson
Ski style: Nordic BC
Favorite Skis: Fischer E88, Åsnes Amundsen, SummitCone Vagabond

Post by Ullrsson » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:48 pm

radiomir wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:03 pm
I thought I'd chime in as someone else with feet that are 27.5 cm in length, with a narrow heel, wider forefoot, and I'm guessing medium volume. I have relatively short toes for my foot length, with my big toe being the longest. I have recently tried an Alaska in 45 and 46 (from REI online), and an Alfa Guard Advance (from Varuste) in 45.

45 Alaska - Good heel lock, and decent overall length, but it was too narrow at the toes and forefoot. Far too tight at the crease point for kick and glide to be comfortable. These would work, but I think I would constantly be thinking about my feet instead of being outside on snow.

46 Alaska - Good heel lock with tight lacing in the right areas, but this caused a bit of discomfort in the upper tongue. This could probably be fixed over time. The boot was still narrower than I would like, causing a small toe pinch. It had a bit more room in toe box at this size, though - enough that it would probably be workable. However, the boot was too long for me to expect ideal ski control, especially because the sole didn't seem very stiff with twisting motion. Also, the toe crease was uncomfortable with the extra material. All said, I think these could have worked also, but I ultimately I decided to send them back because I was worried about having a good connection with a ski given the relatively floppy long toe box.

Because the Alaska didn't work, I decided to take a risk an order the Alfas from Finland.

45 Alfa Guard Advance - These felt pretty good length-wise. Because of my short toes, I could probably get a way with a 44, but even the Alfas start to narrow around the toes somewhat. I would be a little worried that 44s would be too short, but they could be ideal. The width is pretty good - comfortable even - but people are not exaggerating when they say this boot has almost extreme high volume. My heel and midfoot were swimming, and I could not get a good heel lock at first. This was depressing given that my order was held up for weeks because of other items and I don't currently have any other NNN-BC boots. However, I decided to add some custom orthotics I had for other shoes below the alfa insole, and with a single pair of medium Darn Tough hiking socks and tight lacing, the boots actually feel really good. There is still a bit of a wonky toe crease (again, short toes), but the leather is so soft and plush, it doesn't pinch too much. They also seem to be stiffer when twisting (while simultaneously being softer along a perfectly perpendicular crease line), so I think they will provide a good connection to skis.

I still wonder if 44s would be better (or Lundhags), but these boots are light, comfortable, and I think will work just fine. Still am thinking of ordering 44s just to see though, and returning the ones that I don't keep (even if shipping will be expensive).
Thanks a lot for your input, your feet sound very similar to mine.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:15 pm

@radiomir Your issues sound somewhat familiar.
I also found the Alaskas to be too narrow.

I have Guards in 47.
The Guards have I think two sets of lace locks.
I use these, plus a combination of “surgeon’s knots” to fine-tune tightness.
I just take up the slack (not tight) before the first locking hooks; so my toes have plenty of room.
Then I start lacing tight to lock my heel in.
Lace to the top and use the extra lacing to go back down the hooks and get even tighter for the heel lock.
This system has worked well for me by giving my toes room and in pulling my foot back into the heel pocket, which also gives my toes more room and keeps my heel from slipping.
I also put an extra insole into the boots to take up excess volume.

radiomir

Post by radiomir » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:46 pm

@Stephen Thanks for the suggestion to lace back down the boot. I hadn't thought of trying that. Like some others here, I do think I can get the bigger Guards to work well (maybe even very well) with good lacing and an extra insole. I think I want to find a less supportive (but still thick) insole than my customs, however. Elevating my arch shortens my foot even more and puts weird strains on the outside of my calves when active. I think the standard recommendation from physical therapists would have me use the full arch support of custom orthotics all the time, but as long as I pummel the bottoms of my feet before and after a ski outing with one of those new percussive massage devices (highly recommend for all over before a ski), I like the comfort of a flatter footbed.

Anyway, after which hooks/eyelets did you find the surgeons knots to be most effective?

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:50 pm

I just posted a video that shows what works for me.
You have to experiment to find the tightness that works for you.
I usually wear a pretty thick wool sock, and lace tight and it never feels too tight, even at the end of the day.
I just did it the same way with a thinner sock and it feels tight across the very top of my instep, so socks may affect outcome.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:54 am

Stephen wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:50 pm
I just posted a video that shows what works for me.
You have to experiment to find the tightness that works for you.
I usually wear a pretty thick wool sock, and lace tight and it never feels too tight, even at the end of the day.
I just did it the same way with a thinner sock and it feels tight across the very top of my instep, so socks may affect outcome.
you know, I learn something new every day. I have never thought to tie my shoes like that! that's genius. I probably cant lace them that tight, my feet would hate me...but thats a good trick!

thanks!!!

radiomir

Post by radiomir » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:35 pm

@Stephen That, is awesome. Thanks.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:51 pm

An update-
All of us in my ski touring clan that have the current (2nd-gen) Alaska BC/75 (4 different skiers) are having issues with the protective rand separating from the leather. I tried several times to glue it back on- with no success- eventually took the boot to a local cobbler- they seem to be fixed, but I am not thrilled with the job done- it kinda looks like the rand may peel off again this winter...

Of note is that both mine and my wife's original (c2012) 1st-gen Alaska BC boots have had zero issue with the rand separating from the leather.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:58 pm

A note on the last and volume of the Alaska BC.
All of the Alaska BCs that I have seen have come with an oversized insole in them (i.e. my 42 has a 43 insole, my 43 has a 44 insole)-
this does not mean that my 42 is actually a "43" in length, nor that my 43 is a "44" in length.

The oversized insole is intentional- it forces the insole into a very tight fit and, causes the heel to form a "cup" around the base of your heel.
I asked Alpina directly about this bak in 2012-2013- the oversized insole is intentional.

A 42 Alaska is not the length of a 43EU inside- it is the true length of a 42EU.
Many skiers have to size-up in the Alaska due to needing more width and/or volume.
If you need to size-up for extra width in this boot- you may need a thicker insole(s) to take up volume, unless you also have a high-volume foot.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.