2021-22 Åsnes Amundsen BC

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Ullrsson
Ski style: Nordic BC
Favorite Skis: Fischer E88, Åsnes Amundsen, SummitCone Vagabond

Re: 2021-22 Åsnes Amundsen BC

Post by Ullrsson » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:23 pm

I just finished a 7 mile, 80% downhill tour last night. Conditions were not favorable. We've had hurricane force windstorms off and on for a week and I was on a heavily trafficked, multi-use trail. There were a few nice downhill sections where I was able to get some turns in. The Amundsen does turn, at least with a BC 1600. Sturdier boots like the alaska or Alfa Guard should be able to make these turn fairly easily. I had a mixture of chattery, icy, windblown trails and deep snow with occasional windslabs and breakable crust. The Amundsen was skiable in all these conditions, but did especially well on the bumpy icy trails. With skis this narrow I had very good control over edge engagement. My skiing partner was unfortunately, on classic track skis, so much of my time was spent waiting for him to catch up to me on foot. The trail conditions were much worse for him than I expected.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: 2021-22 Åsnes Amundsen BC

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:22 pm

@Ullrsson
Very cool.

Back on my Amundsen as well the last couple of days-
VERY cold lots of snowfall and lots of wind-

In the open→ snow is trackable styrofoamy snow- Amundsen is the best touring ski I have ever tested in this snow- even better than the Gamme- that old-school stiff raised tip smoothly carves a channel, and the ski is completely stable over its entire length

In the woods→ snow is wind-churned "frothy" soft snow- very coarse and kinda sandy feeling- Amundsen is a trail-breaking machine- that old-school stiff raised tip carving a perfect channel for the rest of the ski to follow and stride through

love, love, love this ski!!
20220111_181511.jpg
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.