The Alpina Alaska XP Boot / Rottefella XPLORE Binding Experience Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Re: The Alpina Alaska XP Boot / Rottefella XPLORE Binding Experience Review

Post by Inspiredcapers » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:29 pm

Regarding sizing- I’m finding myself in a “transitional phase” as my size 43 Alaska’s (75mm) are now feeling kinda snug due to foot growth. If I was going to contemplate Alaska XP am I correct in thinking size 44?

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:49 am

Inspiredcapers wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:29 pm
Regarding sizing- I’m finding myself in a “transitional phase” as my size 43 Alaska’s (75mm) are now feeling kinda snug due to foot growth. If I was going to contemplate Alaska XP am I correct in thinking size 44?
I testet both the XP, BC and 75mm versions in shop in size 42, and they felt identical to me. They did however feel a bit narrow to my not wide foot, and I preferred Alfa Skaget. See also my impressions and comments in the Skaget first impressions here:
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... 389#p47354

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:57 pm

FWIW, my final word is that the Alpina Alaska XP is just the finest nordic boot I have seen in 43 years of skiing.
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:09 am

It looks like Neptune has them in stock. The first I've seen them in the US
https://neptunemountaineering.com/colle ... 9590777991
$400, so a big price jump over the NNNBC or 75 Alaska (typically $250 - $300)
They also have the Xplore binding, but the flexor options are not listed.
Alfa now has the hard flexors in stock, but they want 10 euro for the rubber and 29 euro to ship to USA. Yikes
If Neptune has them then I'm betting others may get them soon.
Last edited by Tom M on Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:17 pm

Wish I could wear an Alaska — too narrow.
Waiting for ALFA in USA.
Hopefully REI, so I can try before buy.
Like the Free, but it’s listed as “Regular” width, whereas the Skaget and Vista are listed as “Wide.”

Ira

Post by Ira » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:31 am

Hi everyone, REI just got the Alpina Alaska XP but only in a few sizes (they currently have 43, 44, 45)
https://www.rei.com/product/200164/alpi ... -ski-boots

They do not currently (as of today) have the XPLORE versions of Alfa

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:35 am

That brings A LOT of change, a lot of questioning and some serious rethinking. Some concerns for certain people, some absolutely brilliant advancement for others.

It's pretty hard to know what the designers at Rottefella had in mind when they conceived those super stiff soles. There is no user manual out there yet telling us exactly how to ski those new XPlore soles.
It all makes sense now. The flex pattern, the flex point, the sole, the stiffness. It's all brilliant! I guess it was too much progress in a short amount of time to fully grasp in the first place. (And not enough snow last spring to fully push it to the test!) Perhaps that was the reason why all the other reviewers out there couldn't see the HUGE improvement of the XP over older norms? You really have to try it to believe it. The whole XP experience is so nice, so smooth, so brilliant!

The only bad thing I have to say about it is the sliding button to remove the flexor. It's really bad. This definitely must be redesigned for frequent, on-site usage. First, it's impossible to slide with gloves on. Not only that, but even with your bare fingers in the comfort of your house, it's still quite hard to engage to remove the flexor. A very minor annoyance, I know... 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

telerat
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.

Post by telerat » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:56 am

giovanotti wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:36 am
Alpina collection 2022/23:
https://issuu.com/inasport/docs/alpina_ ... nter_22-23.
Hmm, the Alpina Alaska XP is missing, while there is even a new black Alaska 75mm. The Pioneer is the only Xplore boot, while it has two NNN-BC siblings. There is a new series of 4 NNN-BC boots (Tourer) with one 75mm version, as well as a low 75mm xc-boot. It looks like a nice collection, but almost devoid of Xplore boots. I wonder what the reason is?

I have seen a rumor that Fischer, Crispi and Lundhags will launch Xplore boots next year, and the thread:
https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... 802#p48543
shows a Fischer Transnordic Xplore version. It will be interesting to see what models Fischer and Crispi launches for next season.

telerat

Post by telerat » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:37 pm

I got the hard flex on Friday and managed to test it a little during the weekend. It is made of a much harder rubber/plastic than the normal flex and deforms very little. It seems the system then relies on the boot sole to bend/flex instead and this may be the reason for the rather stiff soles. The turning power and stability increases significantly and felt quite nice, kind of like with a soft wire (which was what I was after with this system).

The hard flex has a slight gap against the boot, and this seems to increase step in reliability, but it does not engage immediately and you get a little play. The play does not feel much different from the the standard flex, which is much softer and feels too weak both when skiing flat and especially on descents. The hard flex is too restrictive though and reminds me of skiing with a Riva 3 or 75mm with cable, with the cable set tight; you get significant resistance almost as soon as you lift the heel and I will not use it for skiing flat or uphill.

I think the normal flex could be renamed soft flex and would prefer a stronger (medium) flex for all-round use. Changing the flex is a bit too tedious, especially with currently recessed button and I will only use the hard flex on prolonged descents. The normal flex felt about sufficient with my touring ice skates, so it might be suitable for that and narrower skis/soft boots. The free pivot plate has also been launched here, but was not in stock when I ordered the hard flex (which reminds me that I forgot to test skiing without the flex).

Here is a test flex to show how Alfa Skaget bends with my knee almost to the ski.
Xplore_hard_flex.jpg