Alpina Pioneer 80 XPlore Ski Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Re: Alpina Pioneer 80 XPlore Ski Review

Post by GrimSurfer » Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:14 pm

WendyLeah wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:48 am
I am trying to find skis. I just ordered the xplore bindings and they say they need a 65 mm waist. I think you said the alpina pioneer 80 ski has a smaller waist so I am wondering how it is compatible to those bindings? I really would like to find a ski with good kick and glide that I can also teleturn with. My ancient track skis I can tele turn in but I am way overdue for something nice. I am about 115 lbs and am having a heck of a time finding anything right now. Only thing I see available is the madshus panorama 67, kind of thing they are wider than I need. I can't find Fischer excursions 88 available right now. Wondering if I should just wait and ski the ancient skis I am on now. Any suggestions? Also wondering what size I should get? 162 -169 ?
@WendyLeah, see this thread…

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2186&hilit=Theme&start=130#p53950
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:34 pm

Unless I missed something- my understanding is that you can mount Xplore on any ski that will take NNN/NNNBC- so, definitley narrower than 65mm waist.

For example, ALFA is selling the Mountain Race 48 mounted with Xplore:
https://www.alfaoutdoor.com/apps/builde ... nw8sz2Ld1z

@WendyLeah
You wanting a "waxless" scaled ski?

WELCOME BTW!
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:20 pm

JohnSKepler wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:30 pm
Same. Also waiting on the Alpina Pioneer 80 ski.

Probably the saddest news of the season. Using the words of Alpina,
"Pioneer skis did not come to fruition unfortunately."

Timing? Marketing? Supply chain? I don't have any other info. I say sad, because after 3 seasons skiing the Pioneer 80's, it's still THE pair of skis that I use the most. No matter the conditions, everytime I walk through the door, I still always end up grabbing the P80's more than 50% of the time.
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:32 pm

Johnny wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:20 pm
JohnSKepler wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:30 pm
Same. Also waiting on the Alpina Pioneer 80 ski.

Probably the saddest news of the season. Using the words of Alpina,
"Pioneer skis did not come to fruition unfortunately."

Timing? Marketing? Supply chain? I don't have any other info. I say sad, because after 3 seasons skiing the Pioneer 80's, it's still THE pair of skis that I use the most. No matter the conditions, everytime I walk through the door, I still always end up grabbing the P80's more than 50% of the time.
I did hear, I think on this forum, about a manufacturing shortage. Something about a factory in Ukraine getting destroyed or otherwise becoming non-function. Fischer buying up more of the Czech manufacturing capacity. Extraterrestrials using the lamination equipment to repair the heat shields on their damaged vessel. Not sure about any of it...

I was really looking forward to that ski but the aliens had to get home. And there's always next year.
Veni, Vidi, Viski