The new Rottefella XPLORE OFFTRACK Binding System Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: The new Rottefella XPLORE OFFTRACK Binding System Review

Post by Johnny » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:35 am

telerat wrote: The Alfa Free APS boot had a very stiff sole that bends in just one spot and was uncomfortable when walking. It also wore the front part of the sole (which engages the flex) was quite a bit, perhaps due to the stiffness. Not all testers liked the Free's BOA closures, and the boot's upper fabric bent in one spot and could be irritating, so test before buying. They felt 75mm was better for walking without skis and was skeptical to durability of XP boots when navigating scree. This is disappointing, but I hope the production sole/boots are better for walking this year, but first years buyers sounds like we might be beta testers. There is also some technical updates coming in the production of the binding

Thank you SO MUCH @telerat for posting and translating this!

Kind of weird that they are publishing reviews of boots and bindings that will be different than the production models though... Kind of... Not-so-relevant?

They stepped into the binding easily in 8-9 out of 10 times, but struggled the last 1-2 times and had to have several tries then, especially if the boot was dirty after hiking. Some times they though they where in the binding, but only one of the sides was engaged which you don't see, so they adapted to double checking that the boot was properly engaged.
They should try real 2-pin tech bindings... They would see that they are all WAY harder to align than the XP! They all require a bit a practice to step in, but my experience is that the XPLORE is really the easiest of it all...

Xplore is neither a rando, telemark nor cross-country binding, but a binding for mountain skiing that invites you to explore all the snowy terrain around you. They write that classic 75mm equipment with toe binding would enable much of the same
A totally different story here with the Alaska XP. There is no way 75mm could come even close to the XPLORE! Absolutely now way! So far I think the XP is just the best cross-country binding ever. And the best touring/nordic binding too. With just a few simple tweaks, it could also be the best XCD binding too... (Freaking expensive for what it is, I agree).

More about it in my upcoming Alaska XP update... 8-)

TeleMarcin wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:08 am
Hi does anybody know if the mounting of the Xplore bindings is more complicated than standard NNNBC bindings ? ANy comments on this issue? Greetings from Poland, Marcin
Mounting is super easy. They come with TORX screws. 5 holes in each ski. And the coolest thing is that you can use 2 holes from your previous NNN-BC mount and still be around pin line... 8-)

Oh, also... FWIW, I don't even bother with 2 of the screws... I just don't use them. I feel like 3 screws is more than enough even for downhill stuff... But don't listen to what I say... (In fact, I only use a total of 2 screws on my XPLORE skis. More than enough for everything nordic, no need to redrill, and super easy/fast to swap! )
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Lighturn

Post by Lighturn » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:16 pm

Do i get this right? You have even already mounted them? I am stunned. Its Tuesday - and you have not been using the skis yet? No review on how it turns, kicks, flexes, glides yet? :shock:

Come on man, get it done, we are in need! ;)

Cheers

Lighturn

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:06 am

Johnny wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:35 am
Kind of weird that they are publishing reviews of boots and bindings that will be different than the production models though... Kind of... Not-so-relevant?
It was probably what they had available at the time, so either that or no test.

They should try real 2-pin tech bindings... They would see that they are all WAY harder to align than the XP! They all require a bit a practice to step in, but my experience is that the XPLORE is really the easiest of it all...
It sounds like they are experienced 2-pin tech bindings and also compare to, as they state that they enjoyed hills that were boring on rando. With skins or brakes this would probably be much less of an issue for Xplore. The problem with the system is that you don't see the connection, so you can't verify that you are properly connected visually.

A totally different story here with the Alaska XP. There is no way 75mm could come even close to the XPLORE! Absolutely now way! So far I think the XP is just the best cross-country binding ever. And the best touring/nordic binding too. With just a few simple tweaks, it could also be the best XCD binding too... (Freaking expensive for what it is, I agree).
I'll hopefully see soon. I don't expect any revolution compared to my 75mm equipment on descents, but expect better xc-performance. The binding price of 2.3-2.5 times that of NNN-BC is a bit steep, but they might have some price elasticity.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:17 pm

telerat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:06 am
The problem with the system is that you don't see the connection, so you can't verify that you are properly connected visually.
True, we can't see the connection. On the other hand, it's the only tech system with slots, serving as guides to align the pins blindly right where they should be. (Like the Dynafit Pintech system)

It does require a bit of practice, like ALL other bindings... But after a few days, you will know exactly when you're fully connected or not...

The binding price of 2.3-2.5 times that of NNN-BC is a bit steep, but they might have some price elasticity.
No, it's not a bit steep. It's outrageously steep. But it's the top of the line... 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

orangeviking

Post by orangeviking » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:01 am

So I got my hands on all the necessary equipment. With some help of friends in Norway.
Here some pictures for people that are interested. The mounting template did not come in the package, but found it on Rottefella's website. I haven't taken the kit out yet as I just installed the binding an hour ago. The Alfa Vista boot is roomy and I almost wonder if I should have a size smaller. But the insole is spot on as you can see in the picture. Also same size as my (trail-)running shoes. But there seems to be additional space in both the heel and toe areas. Any comments would be appreciated.

Flexor plates don't seem that easy to remove. Have to press the button on the side quite far in. Won't be too easy when you are out there. Otherwise the binding looks simple and sturdy.

Looking forward to test these out soon. I am more of a XC-skier. These are my first XCD skis. So some learning curve ahead.
IMG_20211216_093611.jpg
IMG_20211216_124539.jpg
IMG_20211214_202926.jpg
IMG_20211216_125221.jpg

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:55 am

Nice :-) Thanks for the pictures and good luck. Your experience with releasing the flexor is the same as mine; it's important that they won't come loose accidentally, but I think it should be a bit easier to release them than currently. The button is very small and have to be pushed into a recess, which is hard even with bare fingers. You can help release by pushing forward on the tower/soft part of the flexor, but that tactic will not work on the free pivot plate.

Regarding the sizing; I found the BC version of you shoe the Alfa Guard quite roomy when I tried it on in a shop. If you can try that boot in a local shop you could compare a size smaller. I do think you have the correct size from you picture with the insole though. My insole looks very slightly larger compared to my foot and the Skaget boot fits well. The insole has a very small gap in front, but seems to fit well.

orangeviking

Post by orangeviking » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:36 am

Thanks @telerat ! I had to gamble a little bit with the boots. I couldn't try them anywhere near where I live and followed Alfa's sizing guide. If I want to return them I first need to get them back to my friend in Norway and then order new ones. The real ''problem" is maybe more that they are wide. Alfa also specifies that. Women's version is supposedly narrower. I am sure (or at least hope) they will be okay for a couple of years.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:49 pm

@orangeviking, be sure to try adding footbed shims or additional insole.
Especially if you have a low-volume foot.
Many here have had to experiment with this sort of thing to customize fit on boots.
Post if you want more info.

I have the ALFA Guard, which looks to be the NNN BC version of your Xplore ALFA Vista.
In addition to the ALFA insole, I added a thin cardboard shim and a wool insole in my boot.
I have a low volume foot, and this made a big difference in getting a good fit.

I like how you posted a picture with one ski binding assembled, and one without the finish inserts.
Makes it easy to see the actual binding.

orangeviking

Post by orangeviking » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:37 am

Thanks @Stephen ! I figured some wanted to see the content of the box and the actual binding on the ski. Looks like I can go and have some fun with them tomorrow.

I have read the tread about the Alfa Guard and will try some of the tips from there. Volume definitely seems to be (part of) the problem. When I try the boots on with woolen socks, the one that your grandma knits for you, the boot feels good.

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:55 am

orangeviking wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:01 am
So I got my hands on all the necessary equipment. With some help of friends in Norway.
Looks like you have a sweet setup. Alfa has decided that they won't bundle the Xplore binding with boots (only with the ski packages). Here is the email I received from Alfa on Dec 14

"Unfortunately due to supply problems the Xplore bindings will only be sold together in ski packages from our website at the moment. The bindings alone will be available to buy from us and many other retailers in the near future.
Thanks for your understanding.
Best regards
ALFA"

Also REI finally replied to my inquiry regarding the Xplore binding, Alpina Alaska XP and Alfa's Xplore boots.

"Thank you for the 'bump' and for your patience as we wait to hear back with the information you're looking for. I can confirm that we are planning to carry the products you have listed above, however, at this time, I don't have more information other than that to share. I have connected with the team working on getting this product in, so I will circle back here when I know more about timelines."

So for me the wait is on. I'm hoping that REI will have them by mid winter.
Last edited by Tom M on Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.