Icelantic Nomad 95 Review ... FUN

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Icelantic Nomad 95 Review ... FUN

Post by Woodserson » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:28 am

joeatomictoad wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:02 am
1994 Ford Tempo, never grew to love that jalopy. Cold weather driving, was always able to get in the mountains, but many times was not able to get out.
This is not a bad thing...

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:43 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:28 am
joeatomictoad wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:02 am
1994 Ford Tempo, never grew to love that jalopy. Cold weather driving, was always able to get in the mountains, but many times was not able to get out.
This is not a bad thing...
Yes, and no. It is a bad thing when I've got to get back to Staten Island because I'm scheduled for another 1-month ticket on a tug boat. (The good ol' days.)

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:55 pm

I ski Icelantics, a pair of Pioneer 96's, with Voile Switchbacks, a good all around area ski, well made, responsive, easy turning. Have not had a real chance to go into the backcountry with them yet, hmm, maybe next week or so I should do that.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:36 am

fgd135 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:55 pm
I ski Icelantics, a pair of Pioneer 96's, with Voile Switchbacks, a good all around area ski, well made, responsive, easy turning. Have not had a real chance to go into the backcountry with them yet, hmm, maybe next week or so I should do that.
So yesterday, 65deg, very heavy loose corn snow that was quite deep. Skiing the corduroy was skiing a 3-dimensional space. More pleasurable than mashed potatoes, because the corn doesn't bind to itself. However, as the day wore on this snow became clumped up and bumped up and torn up. The Nomad 95's were just getting tossed or folding up. Too much stuff to power through and they couldn't do it. My rear ski especially would fold up and slow way down, interesting feeling.

This is why the Nomad 95 isn't for everyone, especially heavier or more powerful skiers or those looking to go fast and shred.

Anyway, no big deal to me because!...

A skiing partner here in town had bought a pair of 182cm Icelantic Pioneer 96's several years ago, but got them too long for himself. So they have been sitting in his garage forlorn and dusty for years now, and he offered them to me. I totally forgot he had them until he mentioned it. NICE! So I swapped the Pioneers into the mix yesterday. Stiffer shovel and a heavier ski overall but keeps a relatively soft tail, which allows for varied turn shapes. Really nice for yesterday! I needed the extra muscle and they provided a ride which was not only more consistent, but smoother and less fatiguing as well.

I'm happy to have both the Nomad 95 and Pioneer 96 in the stable, there can be a lot of overlap but they have specific uses as well. Quiver is coming along very nicely here!

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:45 pm

It's so warm now that I need skegs on the bottom of the Pioneers just to stabilize em in the water and slush.
Which reminds me that friend of mine tells me he tried to go water skiing once, but couldn't find a lake with a hill on it.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:12 pm

Second spring season going on right now on these fun hogs and they are still as fun as they were last year! I love them so much for soft, ungroomed snow. You want to swivel and pivot and sneak and snake your way down the zipper line? This ski. Such a great telemark ski for manky springtime fun for lighter skiers. If you're around 200lbs think about the Pioneer instead, but if you are slender and lithe this is your springtime mogul ride.

They are mushy. Which can mean fun!

Love is still in the air...

durist

Post by durist » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:58 pm

I'm still skiing a pair of ancient original Nomad Softs, like 10 years old, maybe more, I can't even remember. Best ski ever for powder in steep tight trees, so easy to turn. Oh how I wish they still made these. They're beat to crap, but fortunately Icelantics are incredibly durable. Good value!

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:03 am

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:49 pm

You know what dude? I love the Nomad 95 so much I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Nomad 105 for the POWPOW. I'll report back next winter!

If one ski (the Icelantic Nomad 95) makes me so happy, it stands to chance the big brother (Nomad 105) in the same line will make me as happy, and I'm willing to risk that. Flexing them now at home they have the same flex profile but a little stiffer overall. I think it's a magic ticket. I think this ski is also going to be a win. I can feel it in my bones. I believe and I put my money where my mouth is.

OH MY:
I HAVE DA FEVAH
Totally CONFIRMED
The (181) NOMAD 105 is just THE BEST east coast tight tree deep snow ski. It's so much goddamm fun! Holy balls. It's just the right amount of bendy with the right amount of float, and it schmears those tight pucker turns just perfect, and I absolutely absolutely LOVE IT.

I paired with NTN Outlaw X (removed inner spring) and TXP's and the combo was on point!

I can be going slow- push the ski into a turn while being forward and aggressive (not back seat driving), and no tip dive, just float. Absolute confidence!

The caveats-- It's really 110 uf, I'm 165lbs, I mounted -2.5cm with a 30.0m boot. It has a big twin tip-- a liability for me in steeper terrain (I tend to get the tails hooked up on super steep terrain, no good for the Alps and Rockies but just right for the midwest and the east coast!)

Total recommend. And sick graphics, mine have a badass viking ship!
PXL_20230315_192131331.jpg