Åsnes NOSI 76 Ski Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Manney
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Re: Åsnes NOSI 76 Ski Review

Post by Manney » Sun May 21, 2023 9:27 am

Haven’t skied the Nosi… so the following is more a general guide…

If you’re between lengths, think about skiing frequency. Infrequent skiers can take a long time of grow out of a pair of skis… for your height, the 164 might be better if this is the case. Frequent skiers can quickly outgrow skis, so best to go longer (172). Minor differences, annoyances can be mitigated by adjusting ski uses to conditions.
Go Ski

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sun May 21, 2023 4:14 pm

bororo23 wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 3:28 am
The last season I skied limited edition Asnes Storetind Nato x Xplore x Alfa Free.
Was not overly impressed on the fishscale performance so was using XSkins most of the time.
Also, the scale base was rather slow / unpredictable downhill in varied snow conditions.
Ski length is 180 cm.

I am now considering buying the Nosi 76. I am somehow confused by the recommended length:

“Choosing these skis, it’s best to go for lengths 5–10cm shorter than your height.”
Offer is:
164cm 172cm 180cm

I used to do big mountain freeride, fat pow skis, 186+ cm.
I am rather new to telemark. I am 176cm/77kg.

Please recomend Nosi ski length.
Hello @bororo23.
I could not find any reference to the Storetind NATO with a traction pattern base, so maybe that is why you said “limited edition.”
Here is a discussion about the Storetind: http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... a01#p23365

Anyway, the Storetind has a 68mm waist and the Nosi has 76, so the Nosi is a wider ski, which might mean you could ski it shorter than the Storetind.
You skied the Storetind in 180cm. How did you like that length? That could help you decide about the Nosi length.
Also, in the past, you skied big powder skis 10cm longer than you are.
Do you tend to like longer skis?

In choosing the length, it depends a lot on how you primarily want to ski.
If you want to ski with lots of turns, in tighter or maybe steeper terrain, a shorter ski is nice.
If you like bigger and or faster turns in more open terrain, a longer ski is nice.
If you have longer approaches, a longer ski is nice.
If you’re skiing mostly gentle terrain, and especially if you are covering longer distances, a longer ski is nice.
You probably know all this already.

The 172 seems like the safe choice.
164 seems too short, unless for tight terrain, lots of turns.
180 might be appropriate for some conditions.
It seems like people on the forum often tend toward choosing skis on the longer side of the recommended length — but that doesn’t mean you should.

Really, it all comes down to how you primarily want to use the ski.

It’s late in the season, but I hope others will also answer your question, so you can get some different perspectives.

bororo23
Ski style: XC D Tele Weakly on a Daily Basis
Favorite Skis: Asnes Storetind Nato, Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Alfa Free

Post by bororo23 » Mon May 22, 2023 10:01 pm

Thanks for your insights.

elinorholka1

Post by elinorholka1 » Thu May 25, 2023 9:52 am

Stephen wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 4:14 pm
bororo23 wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 3:28 am
The last season I skied limited edition Asnes Storetind Nato x Xplore x Alfa Free.
Was not overly impressed on the fishscale performance so was using XSkins most of the time.
Also, the scale base was rather slow / unpredictable downhill in varied snow conditions.
Ski length is 180 cm.

I am now considering buying the Nosi 76. I am somehow confused by the recommended length:

“Choosing these skis, it’s best to go for lengths 5–10cm shorter than your height.”
Offer is:
164cm 172cm 180cm

I used to do big mountain freeride, fat pow skis, 186+ cm.
I am rather new to telemark. I am 176cm/77kg.

Please recomend Nosi ski length.
Hello @bororo23.
I could not find any reference to the Storetind NATO with a traction pattern base, so maybe that is why you said “limited edition.”I understand this but have you ever thought of using sources that would help you with your studies, like http://essaypapers.reviews/ because I have been using this for a long time now and I feel absolutely fine because I don't have to spend a lot of time writing.
Here is a discussion about the Storetind: http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... a01#p23365

Anyway, the Storetind has a 68mm waist and the Nosi has 76, so the Nosi is a wider ski, which might mean you could ski it shorter than the Storetind.
You skied the Storetind in 180cm. How did you like that length? That could help you decide about the Nosi length.
Also, in the past, you skied big powder skis 10cm longer than you are.
Do you tend to like longer skis?

In choosing the length, it depends a lot on how you primarily want to ski.
If you want to ski with lots of turns, in tighter or maybe steeper terrain, a shorter ski is nice.
If you like bigger and or faster turns in more open terrain, a longer ski is nice.
If you have longer approaches, a longer ski is nice.
If you’re skiing mostly gentle terrain, and especially if you are covering longer distances, a longer ski is nice.
You probably know all this already.

The 172 seems like the safe choice.
164 seems too short, unless for tight terrain, lots of turns.
180 might be appropriate for some conditions.
It seems like people on the forum often tend toward choosing skis on the longer side of the recommended length — but that doesn’t mean you should.

Really, it all comes down to how you primarily want to use the ski.

It’s late in the season, but I hope others will also answer your question, so you can get some different perspectives.
That was interesting, thank you!

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:42 am

Any idea where to get one of these?

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:00 pm

Both Lacordee and Neptune have carried the Nosi 76-
they are in stock in Europe.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

mca80

Post by mca80 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:13 pm

I see Sport Albert has it and some places in Norway who don't ship to USA. But only 172. Probably larger than I want eh? I could try to ask Neptune or Calgary Norseman to get one next year but not sure if they would.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:46 pm

Curious-
why the Nosi and not the Rabb?
do you have modern Telemark boots for it?

Also- if you are going as wide as the Nosi- there is an almost limitless choice of decent mountaineering skis that you could get at a much lower price...

mca80

Post by mca80 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:16 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:46 pm
Curious-
why the Nosi and not the Rabb?
do you have modern Telemark boots for it?

Also- if you are going as wide as the Nosi- there is an almost limitless choice of decent mountaineering skis that you could get at a much lower price...
Maybe both at some point. As you know I like tradition, so it only seems appropriate to have skis similar to but vast improvements over both 10th Mtn and Guides. The Nosi for max float in very deep snow and even more DH oriented. I would ski them with Alico Ski March and a hardwire, but have been contemplating a used 2 or 3 buckle Crispi plastic. But Johnny skied the Nosi in nnnbc it appears, and fisheater says in soft snow the Ski March with hardwire can control his Tindan but only soft snow. But one shouldn't be skiing Nosi or Guide in anything but very deep soft snow anyway.

What kind of mountaineering skis? That have the same low low weight of Nosi and rocker and taper attributes? Also having the x skin (access skin for Nosi) is so incredibly convenient.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:30 pm

I don't think that the Nosi is tuned for deep snow...
From Crister's reports, it is a very stiff, ultralight mountaineering ski (ie intended for fast and light Alpine Touring on hardpack and/or spring snow).
Almost every manufacturer of AT skis has a ski in this range.
Other than overall sidecut geometry, I don't think that the Nosi and the Guide/Annum have anything in common...
Crister really liked the Nosi with Xplore mounted on it- but he never claimed he was doing any truly steep and hard downhill skiing with that setup.