Rossignol BC 120

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Rossignol BC 120

Post by Inspiredcapers » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:08 pm

I finally feel comfortable with giving TT a review regarding the Rossignol BC 120.

The set up I have is the BC 120 ski, Voile Switchback X2 binding, a choice of 2 boots (Garmont Libero 2 buckle, Garmont 3 buckle VooDoo 75’s). The skins I’ve been using are Nordica High Trails that fit perfectly on this ski (sometimes a person lucks out).

The skis are 182’s and they have a 120/86/108 profile, and weigh around 4.5 pounds before bindings are put on, this is what MEC has to say about them...

These solid skis make great touring partners. The wood and air core with full metal edges are designed to inspire confident descents. They'll suit backcountry enthusiasts who split their time both on- and off-piste skiing.
• Low-density wood core with large air channels provides lightweight, durable and sturdy off-trail performance.
• Rossitop Cap construction keeps the skis lively, and allows tips and tails to float over bumps.
• Generous sidecut and modest tip rocker allows control in a range of conditions.
• Full-length steel edges for control on and off piste.
• P5000 Base takes clear sintered waxable bases

...what I’ve got to say is that they’re lightweight FUN! I’ve used them in powder, I’ve used them on crust, I’ve used them on wind blown, I’ve used them on groomers, I’ve used them on ice, I’ve used them on heavy n’ wet...in all situations they felt responsive and controllable.
-regarding powder, nice float and easy to keep the tips up whether it was a few inches or up to my thighs.
-regarding crust, they didn’t skitter around, broke through just enough that there was no porpoising, easy to get the tips up.
-regarding windblown, didn’t chatter on crusty crap, floated on powdery stuff.
-regarding groomers at the local ski hill- Holy Shit, I did a few TeleTurns :). Seriously though, easy to control, eased through moguls (handled jump turns effortlessly) and responded to all I could toss at them.
-regarding ice, I hate ice with a deep and abiding passion. Just like any other ski I scraped, went slow, and sought better conditions as soon as possible.
-regarding heavy n’ wet, it’s always work in this kinda stuff but I didn’t feel like the skis were trying to get away from me...if I need to change direction they respond.

Picture I posted in a thread when I first started using them...

Didn’t have the Garmont VooDoo 75s when I took this picture...

Picture from today. It’s not really noticeable but the “wax pocket” I’ve been using is approximately the orange section seen on the side profile of the ski. I’ve been able to get an acceptable kick n’ glide going UPHILL and on trails on these. A cross country ski they’re not but I’m definitely not plodding along like I do with the skins on!

I’m pretty satisfied with my BC 120’s. As I delve into kick waxing I’m finding even more versatility with them.
Skiing…falling downhill…pretty much the same thing for this klutz.

menehune

Re: Rossignol BC 120

Post by menehune » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:58 pm

Love your setup and thanks for the review!

Mounting up a pair with G3’s and Quiver Killers that I will ultimately swap for a set of Switchbacks.

I scored a pair of 2 buckle T2s in excellent condition that I’ll need to make work until a three buckle finds it’s way into my life.

Really excited to use these as a ski for the bunny hill with my 2 year old and for some quick tours on mellow terrain.

Been on NTN with heavy boots and big skis for too long and need to relearn the turn.

Look forward to reporting back when I get them back from the shop!

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:36 pm

I wonder how the BC 120’s construction differs from the 2021 Black Ops Alpineer. The dimensions are identical. The BC120 is cheaper than the Alpineer. In the olden days many skis sold as “telemark” were just rebadged alpine skis, but at a cheaper price.

Inspiredcapers

Post by Inspiredcapers » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:13 pm

I did a couple of hours in my Alicos at the end of last year out of curiosity, definitely not enough boot to drive these skis. I also picked up a pair of the Alaska’s at the end of season last year and looking forward to giving them a trial on the BC120’s whenever the snow arrives.

scottilda

Post by scottilda » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:47 am

How did you mount these? I just got a set and was gonna throw some BD 01s on, but waffling between chord center and boot center.

BigJohnS

Post by BigJohnS » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:37 pm

Inspiredcapers wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:13 pm
I did a couple of hours in my Alicos at the end of last year out of curiosity, definitely not enough boot to drive these skis. I also picked up a pair of the Alaska’s at the end of season last year and looking forward to giving them a trial on the BC120’s whenever the snow arrives.
Did you ever get to try the Alaska's on the BC120s? Were they powerful enough?

Inspiredcapers

Post by Inspiredcapers » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:07 am

Haven’t checked in for awhile, saw a couple of questions.

Chord or boot center, I honestly can’t remember right now. I’ll have to check when I pull the skis out of storage.

As far as the Alpina trial went I think my results were kind of mixed. My feet grew too much for the Alpinas so the feeling of discomfort didn’t allow for a fair trial. I also think the Switchback X2 is too much binding for those boots. I was able to ski them on groomers for a few hours but I’m not declaring it overly successful.

I picked up a pair of Fischer BCX Transnordics 75mm in my size too late in the season to try out (I would’ve liked Alpinas again but they’re too narrow for my feet…the Fisher Transnordic NNN-BC was very comfortable so I’m going to give the 75mm a trial). I plan on mounting a Rottefella Super Telemark 75mm Binding in place of the Switchbacks and giving it another go.

It’s still Harley season for a couple of weeks here in SouthEast BC (hopefully more) so no skiing for awhile…