Åsnes Borge Ousland BC Ski Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Åsnes Borge Ousland BC Ski Review

Post by Woodserson » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:11 pm

Stephen wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:17 pm
Hi Woodserson,
In my post, I almost put quotes around "fit" in a groomed track.
Yeah, I don't picture skiing well maintained tracks that much (but who knows).
I was thinking we might end up on more informal or less maintained tracks that would have more clearance.
Worst case, I could just take a belt sander to the sides of the tips to make them fit!
Just kidding, of course...
I just didn't want people to get the general impression Gammes fit in the track, because they don't really fit. I have Gammes and I love them, they are one of my favorite skis, no poo-pooing The Green Man, here.

Also, there is a proud tradition of customization of equipment in the free heel community so taking belt sander to the ski would not be surprising, or frowned upon, I think... but of course that's where the Ousland comes in where the work has already been done.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:41 pm

Well, maybe we just need more people on Gammes out in the ski track to widen things up!
:-)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:23 pm

The Ousland and the Gamme skis "fit" in a track- so does the E-99 and the Amundsen-
None of them are intended for the groomed track.
The Gamme and the Amundsen are terrible in the track because of their very stiff uncompromising crap busting tips.
The Gamme may have some tip rocker- but not enough to float around above groomed track turns.
The E-99 Xtralite and the Ousland perform "better" in a groomed track because of their oodles of tip rocker.
All of that tip rocker comes with a great cost of a short glide zone on consolidated snow- groomed track = consolidated snow.
The Ousland is a polar expedition ski- not a countryside touring ski.

If one wants a Nordic BC touring ski that is going to spend a lot of time in a groomed track-
E-89
Mountain Race
Madshus still making a "Voss"?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Stephen
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94

Post by Stephen » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:08 am

Llilcliffy, just curious — would you rate the Nansen as a “countryside touring ski?”
How about the Gamme?

It seems like estebao wants to favor track skiing in his 50/50 scenario and is leaning towards the MR48s, which, based on my limited knowledge of the Asnes skis, seems like a good choice?

I got the MR48s for myself, and am really looking forward to trying those out.

My wife will be new to XC this winter, and I was looking for the widest ski that would fit in a Nordic center ski track, so that could remain an option for us, but mostly planning for untracked snow skiing, or maybe less well maintained ski tracks, and wanting a more stable ski for her to start out on.
I found the Gammes on sale and thought I would give those a try for her.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:24 am

Stephen wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:08 am
Llilcliffy, just curious — would you rate the Nansen as a “countryside touring ski?”
How about the Gamme?

It seems like estebao wants to favor track skiing in his 50/50 scenario and is leaning towards the MR48s, which, based on my limited knowledge of the Asnes skis, seems like a good choice?

I got the MR48s for myself, and am really looking forward to trying those out.

My wife will be new to XC this winter, and I was looking for the widest ski that would fit in a Nordic center ski track, so that could remain an option for us, but mostly planning for untracked snow skiing, or maybe less well maintained ski tracks, and wanting a more stable ski for her to start out on.
I found the Gammes on sale and thought I would give those a try for her.
Good review on the MR 48 to get you pumped up about your choice!
https://altabackcountry.com/2019/04/17/ ... ntry-skis/

I see the Gamme and Nansen in the same category but with different feels. I don't have a Nansen but I have Gammes. It's been my perception that the Gamme is a more cambered ski that is stable and fast. The Nansen is wider and a bit softer, a little more forgiving and stable and slightly easier to bend to your will when doing downhill. The Nansen has less rocker than the Gamme, but is softer. The Gamme is stiffer with more robust camber underfoot, but has a bit more rocker, for smearing the turn, and might depend a bit more on user skill to really get it to turn.

But both are excellent skis and this is parsing small details.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:13 pm

That’s funny,
IS the link that got me stoked on the MR48s!

I like the stuff they have posted on their blog.
A really interesting and long post on their hike of the Canadian GDT.
Probably not something I would choose to do myself, but very interesting, none the less.

Woods, your comments lean me more towards the Nansen as the next step up for me, from the MR48s.
Really more of a diversification than a step up.
A different skiing experience.
I would picture those being more fun than the MR48s on steeper slopes, including the occasional groomed trail, or spring snow, as well as deeper, steeper than ideal for the MR48.
Just my interpretation.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:04 pm

Stephen wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:13 pm
That’s funny,

Probably not something I would choose to do myself, but very interesting, none the less.

Woods, your comments lean me more towards the Nansen as the next step up for me, from the MR48s.
I would picture those being more fun than the MR48s on steeper slopes, including the occasional groomed trail, or spring snow, as well as deeper, steeper than ideal for the MR48.
Just my interpretation.
I would say your interpretation is correct. Maybe someone can chime in here.

(feeling bad for Borge, though)

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:48 pm

Stephen wrote:That’s funny,

Just my interpretation.
If you’re interested in the Nansen you should contact the author of that article you are linking to, he used to sell asnes skis and owned and skied Nansen skis quite a bit I believe.

I bought a pair of nansens for my partner and I think they are fun. Kind of an older school shape though, which you may actually be going for. It could work for what you are taking about but asnes has such an impressive line up, consider the ingstad and ft62 while you are at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:33 am

Hi bgregoire,

Thanks for the input. I’ve been talking to woodserson and have ended up exactly in the range you mentioned: Nansen, Ingstad, or FT62.

I’m sure any of them would be great in their own way — the trick is to key in on the one I would end up being most happy with.

This is the projected target use:
Mostly, I just enjoy being out in nature, and would definitely be looking for hills / mountains to ski down because, heck, sliding down hills on snow is fun.
Maybe some track, but not a priority.
Maybe some groomed runs — that’s a lot of fun, but wouldn’t go too far out of my way for that.
Nothing wild.
Ideal would be a foot of Colorado powder, a good climb for the exercise, and some nice downhill for the fun of it.
And just about as much fun is some nice spring corn snow to push around.

Maybe the Ingstad would be the happy compromise?
The other consideration is what’s actually available for purchase.
How are people getting all the variety of Asnes skis when so few models are sold in the US?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Sorry if I’m responsible for topic-drift on what was originally: Åsnes Borge Ousland BC Ski Review

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:53 pm

>>If one wants a Nordic BC touring ski that is going to spend a lot of time in a groomed track-
E-89
Mountain Race
Madshus still making a "Voss"?

Isn't the Moutain Tour 51 the same dimensions as E89? You can't go wrong with MT51 IMO...wider for good performance in loose snow, but fit in the track w/ soft tips to smooth out the various bumps & crusty stuff.

Of course mine have 3-pin bindings which don't work in the tracks anyway - I usually find myself in the middle zone between the tracks. The tracks made me realize I also incorporate a bit of skating motion into my stride a lot of the time.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)