Rossignol Experience 84 AI initial impressions

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
wrussl
Ski style: Old school.
Favorite Skis: Whatever looks good at the ski swap or on Craigslist for cheap
Favorite boots: BD Seeker

Re: Rossignol Experience 84 AI initial impressions

Post by wrussl » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:48 am

Thanks for the reply. I went with 1 cm back from boot center line. This seems to be quite common for tele on alpine skis. Also I use a rather neutral binding with a less stiff boot so tend to ski more forward on the balls of my feet. 1 cm is less than a half an inch. I doubt will make much difference. I can always remount if I think it does. Will try them out this weekend. Looks like it will be a hard pack day at my local resort.

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:17 pm

For my downhill rig with T1 boots, Vice bindings, and Enforcer 93's...
I split the difference between "boot pin line" and "boot midsole marker", and put that on the line recommended by the ski manufacturer. ~2 cm.

I am happy with this setup, and can report no issues. Probably doesn't make a big difference, and I'm probably overcomplicating. Many on here testify no issues using manufacturer recommendations, as-is.

In my mind, splitting the difference between pin line and midsole accounts for the boot dynamics of the tele turn.

Again, this is my head, and... "Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most." (Mark Twain)

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:40 pm

The issue, I think, with alpine skis, from about the last 15 years is that the narrowest part of the ski and the effects of early tip and tail rise/rocker can have a profound effect on performance. This is why you can see 4 or 5 cm differences in mounting position recommendations, on skis of the same length. A 184 Moment Wildcat mounts up 6 cm back. A Cochise is over 11 cm back on a 185 and those aren't extreme cases. I MIGHT mount back on a Wildcat, but I sure wouldn't on a Cochise!

I had a pair of 185cm Armada JJ's mounted center and skied a friend's JJ in 185 that he was talked into mounting 2 cm back for tele years ago and we both were surprised at how much difference it made (it REALLY made the ski sluggish, turning), but the running surface on a 185 JJ is probably less than 140 cm and it had a surprisingly tight 16m turn radius - on a ski that was 116 underfoot! So, this can change based on the ski design and the length of the ski you choose.

There are some skis that have multiple recommended lines. I'd be inclined to mount them forward among the options, because you can drive the tips on alpine gear way harder than you can drive the tips on tele gear. With alpine gear and a heel held down, forward pressure transfers much better than a telemark set up - no surprise. Modern alpine skis are really designed to be driven, spanked hard, and put away wet.

Anyway, that's why I made the recommendation I did.

The Lowdown with Taylor Johnson Episode #14 : Where to Mount Telemark Skis?

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:43 am

wrussl wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:48 am
Thanks for the reply. I went with 1 cm back from boot center line. This seems to be quite common for tele on alpine skis. Also I use a rather neutral binding with a less stiff boot so tend to ski more forward on the balls of my feet. 1 cm is less than a half an inch. I doubt will make much difference. I can always remount if I think it does. Will try them out this weekend. Looks like it will be a hard pack day at my local resort.
How do they work for you?