Ski Review: 2018-2019 Åsnes Ingstad BC

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Ski Review: 2018-2019 Åsnes Ingstad BC

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:38 pm

Bonjour Laurence!

(S'il vous plait- excuse moi- mon grammaire et vocabulaire est terrible- mais je peut lire francais, si vour preferer!)

Ben has said much that is true and makes sense for the skiing you are describing.

In Eastern-Atlantic Canada I do not find a big difference in the "flotation" of any of the narrow BC-XC skis-
Some examples:
- I do not find the Excursion 88 offers more flotation than the Traverse 78- the 88 is more stable and offers better grip than the 78 in very deep snow- the 78 is faster and lighter
- the Combat Nato, Ingstad BC and Gamme 54 all offer similar "flotation" but their camber and geometry is very different

As Ben points out- the current E-109 is a terrible XC ski in very deep snow or breakable crust as its very soft shovel and tip (even softer than the Ingstrad BC) bows like a banana and it is TERRIBLE in breakable crust!
Ironically I find the current E99 Xtralite a better XC in deep snow than the wider E-109, because with less sidecut, the very soft shovel-tip of the E99 does not float so much higher than the waist...

The Ingstad BC is totally stable in very deep snow- and as such it breaks trail very well in deep soft snow-
BUT- the Ingstad BC sucks XC skiing in the breakable crust because of all that tip rocker. And- all of the tip rocker makes the Ingstad a very inefficient XC ski on consolidated snow. The current Ingstad BC is a XC ski that is very narrowly tuned for deep soft snow and hilly-steep terrain.

The Gamme 54 and the Combat Nato are definitely the most versatile in this group IMO-
- they are both totall stable in deep snow
- they both break trail very well- the Combat Nato the best
- the Gamme 54 is faster- especially on consolidated snow and/or a broken out ski track
- the Combat Nato is easier to turn
- they are both EXCELLENT trail-breaking in cruddy, icy breakable snow
- the bit of tip rocker in the Gamme will encourage it to go up and over very hard frozen unbreakable snow/ice
- the Combat Nato is "acceptable" XC skiing on consolidated snow

Very recently I have been doing a lot of VERY tough trail-breaking-
There is still not enough snow here to ski ravines and glades- I am restricted to skiing trails and forest roads.
I have been breaking trail- starting with deep unstable fluff and over the last few days in breakable crust with old soft snow beneath.

The best combination- and this is a nod to Ben's post above ↑ is the combination of the Combat Nato AND the Gamme 54:
- hardcore trail-breaking with the Combat Nato
- second skier with Gamme 54 behind
- trade back and forth between the two to get a break and have fun on the hills

If the snow is mostly deep → Combat Nato
If the snow is mostly consolidated → Gamme 54

They are both fantastic skis and will perform well on a very long-distance trek in variable snow.
The Gamme 54 does have the widest range of XC performance though- performing very well as a XC ski in ALL conditions.

The Gamme 54 is not going to float higher in the snow than your Amundsen though.
But neither is the Combat Nato really.

As Ben points out- the only DIRECTIONAL skis that float higher are VERY LONG (270-300cm) Finnish BC touring skis that are not for skiing steep terrain.

Am I helping you?
Bonne journee!
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:15 pm

I am also wondering about grip...
What are you using for grip?
Grip wax?
Skins?
Scales?
Sometimes I find skiers are struggling because they need more grip- rather than needing more flotation.

Are you carrying a heavy pack?
Pulling a sled/pulk?

Laurence C

Post by Laurence C » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:03 pm

All good, thanks for the answers, it completed well what I red elsewhere. C'est vraiment apprécié que tu aies pris le temps. Je passerai au suivant,

L

Laurence C

Post by Laurence C » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:51 am

@lilcliffy thanks also for the reply and the French!

From what you and Ben tell me (and what I red), I am still focusing on Gamme or Nato in 190 (as I was telling Ben through private I change my mind really easily when I lack knowledge on a subject). I'm 172cm with 72kg (and usually a 10-15kg gear+backpack) and I still have to learn a lot to feel in control going down.

I guess my last area that will help me to choose is the grip indeed.
In those treks I use full skins, short ones or wax on daily fun.

Gamme now feels like a good overall choice but I might choose the Nato, if about equivalent, for the grip thing.
My intuition is that wider means more friction (with skins or gripping wax), so easier climbs and slower descent (a bit more control). Does it make sense? If it's not that different with, say, a full (or short) trimmed 58mm mohair, Gamme will be the choice (cause it also fits in tracks).

L

Laurence C

Post by Laurence C » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:48 am

Just realized,
Moderator, that after the conclusion that Ingstad BC wasn't fitting my needs although it is a sharp ski, I continued talking about other skis. Sorry to have brought confusion in this topic, will understand if you remove my last inputs.cheers

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:23 pm

Laurence C wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:48 am
Just realized,
Moderator, that after the conclusion that Ingstad BC wasn't fitting my needs although it is a sharp ski, I continued talking about other skis. Sorry to have brought confusion in this topic, will understand if you remove my last inputs.cheers
Don't worry L, you are not the only one who transgresses here. Next time, your best bet is to start a new thread with request for help tuned to your needs. you will get more visibility and more replies that wat. This is a review thread in the ski review section.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:37 pm

@Laurence C
Perhaps you would like to start a thread in the main forum regarding the Combat Nato vs Gamme 54?

And on that note- I think that you should seriously consider a Combat Nato/Gamme 54 longer than 190cm as a multi-day trekking ski- ESPECIALLY if you are wanting more flotation and stability in deep snow and when carrying a pack or pulling a pulk.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:23 pm

A big shout out to this superb backcountry Nordic touring ski!

Went on an epic Earth-shattering Ingstad tour last weekend-
25-30kms through the hills of the Upper Nashwaak Watershed-
Loads of steep terrain- up and down- spectacular scenery, magical forests and incredible glade skiing.
~15cm of soft, settled snow over 1.5m of frozen base- we can ski anywhere now!
-18 to -10C temperatures- perfect for grip wax.

The steep-terrain abilities of this XC ski are second to none-

But what I wish to draw particular attention to are the XC abilities of this ski.
At the end of our tur we skied out some 8kms on a stream valley floor (McLean Brook) and then the open frozen Nashwaak River in the dark.

The climbing and turning in the afternoon was a rush!

The kicking and gliding on soft snow under the stars was the stuff of dreams!

Although I find the Ingstad BC dead and innefficient on hardpack snow- it is a remarkably wonderful XC ski on soft and deep snow!

When the conditions are suitable- this is by far my favourite Nordic touring ski.
Ingstad leads the way!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:01 pm

Gareth, I’m glad your winter is going well. I’ve spent the last 3 days Skiing 30 cm of cold dry powder. I’m getting a dusting tonight as well. I may get out for a short tur tomorrow, if not my only problem will be Gamme or Tindan. I have had them both out and have been pleased.
I don’t want to drift, but just wanted to say hello and say that I have great snow. It has been good since Christmas, of course my idea of good is enough snow to trail ski. Now, I just enjoy the rare deep.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:02 pm

Yes Gareth,

These are certainly amazing days for the Ingstad BC. Up north in Quebec as well. Had mine out for a little tour just now. Perfect. I'll admit though, would have been very happy with my older E99 or Nansens. Free heel skiing skinnies is just so much fun.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM