2019 ALFA Guard Advance GTX M Boots Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: 2019 ALFA Guard Advance GTX M Boots Review

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:59 am

Here is the website for those wool insoles:
https://www.chennabaree.com/shop/

The ones I have are the "Winter Warmers".
They are amazing- comfortable, warm, breathable, absorbent and supportive.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:17 pm

lilcliffy wrote: Is it better than the Alaska BC?
So have we come to an end of winter 2018-19 verdict on this? Johnny was quick to come to his own conclusion...I'm sure he is still very thrilled with his...but howz it goes at the farm in NB?

Take care.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:52 pm

Hmmm....

I have yet to decide which one is better...

The Alaska BC and the Guard Advance BC are both well-designed and beautifully made boots...They are certainly in the same "class" of boots, though they are different!
I need some more time on the Guard Advance before I can say much more conclusively...

AND- I have actually been in my Svartisen BC more than anything since I resolved my heel problem in them...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:10 pm

130 days of skiing so far this winter... Almost exclusively on the ALFA Guard Advance boots.
My whole fleet of Alpina Alaskas has been collecting dust in a closet all winter long... :roll:
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

jgurtz

Post by jgurtz » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:08 am

Just discovering this thread and am very interested in replacing some really crappy lower end alpinas! Sizing wise I’ curious if you all added the 1.5 cm as the alfa website recommends? My longer foot is 27.25cm and wondering 42 vs 43. I have very low volume feet, width right on the A/B line and alfa support confirms the W models have narrower lasting :D

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:49 am

jgurtz wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:08 am
Just discovering this thread and am very interested in replacing some really crappy lower end alpinas! Sizing wise I’ curious if you all added the 1.5 cm as the alfa website recommends? My longer foot is 27.25cm and wondering 42 vs 43. I have very low volume feet, width right on the A/B line and alfa support confirms the W models have narrower lasting :D
Should be some relevant info here:
http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2155

You should be fine adding 1 cm to the length of your naked foot.

My feet are 26.3cm. The 41 is a little too small and the 42, a little too big.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

jgurtz

Post by jgurtz » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:18 pm

Thanks for that; I guess I better wait until the 43W show up in stock!

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:35 am

My initial impression of the Guard Adv is that I love them! I made the mistake of using too thin of a footbed/liner and too thin socks on my 1st time out and skiied 12 miles. I created 2 bad heel blisters that are still hurting after a week. The pain is tolerable (I have had alot worse). I put thicker socks on and used a thicker footbed and put moleskin on both heels and skiied another 14 miles and 5000ft vertical this weekend with weights in my pack (I am training for a spring traverse trip). I am going to switch to my old synthetic boots tomorrow to give my feet a break...as I am planning on skiing another mile of vertical.

The snow has been phenomenal! Today was the best day of the season. As much as 2ft of light snow fell Tuesday-Thursday (After snowing 2ft last weekend). We have a 7ft+ base. The FT62 with the Alfa Guard Advance GTX just rocks when its 15F, sunny, and the snow is perfectly dry. I made beautiful long arcs and sailed past a bunch of folks on heavy AT superfat skis...this was the closest I have come to skiing like I would on an alpine setup. The boots feel really light and are very warm. I have skiied in temps between 5F-38F in them with no cold toes. Will be interested in seeing how they do in -10F. (I had no frozen toes in my synthetic boots at -15F...but had trouble with the Alfa Quest Core at -8F).

My sock and liner combo still doesnt quite feel right. I have the thick natural Chenna Barree wool soles coming which may work better as I prefer thinner socks. My Alfa Guard is a size 41. It feels wider than all of my other boots (which are size 42). I do have a pair of Fischer OTX 5s that are a size 41 which fit great with the stock liner (fit is great but terribly not durable)...this Alfa is way bigger in length and width than that boot.

Now if I can just get the fit dialed in, this would become the dream come true.

I also bought the 30mm and Pomoca 40mm mohair Xskins. My initial impression is that the 30mm is great and has a slightly better grip than kick wax with a slight but very tolerable drag. The 40mm is noticeably grippy and drags alot...I will need to cut them but I am holding off until further evaluation. I used skin wax on both which did improve glide.

shromatty

Post by shromatty » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:39 am

I'll chime in too.
These boots are great, excellent build quality, comfort, and warmth. I have to say though, size down. I purchased a 42 for my wife, and a 43 for myself. I am a solid 43 usually, and sometimes a 44, and i am happier in her 42s. Her feet are super wide and super flat, with a low instep, and with two pairs of thick socks and an extra insole she still got blisters in the heel.

So... I sized down to heres, and bought her a 41.
When i have more time i'll chime in with our actual foot measurements, and measurements of these boots to help people size them right. All that said, we were happy enough with them to gamble on buying another pair.

My 43s are up for grabs if someone wants to make an offer, they have under 10 hours on them. I did not have blisters with these, with high arch insoles and one pair of thick socks, but i had to lace them pretty tight. After trying both the 43 and 42 i decided to size down, even though my big toe on my left foot bumps the end, I felt like other than that they fit better, and i had a touch more control.

My only gripe are the laces, which could be easily swapped. They abrade bare hands when trying to lace up tight!

Jaybo

Post by Jaybo » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:55 pm

I created an account on this website just to give my 2 cents on the sizing as well for these.

The info. on the website is wrong if you are going by their US sizing chart unfortunately. The chart on their site says size 43 is the same as size 11 US, but when I received my size 43, they are way too small, and the tag actually says size 9 US, which is extremely disappointing.
Returning is not an option due to customs and cost of shipping, as well as the fact I have used them.

I'm likely more of size 45 which should be equivalent of size 11 US.
Other than that I like them very much - build quality and materials are top notch.

I only used mine once and am willing to sell mine for a good price as well so I can purchase some in the correct size for me.