FTP Gloves and Mittens

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

FTP Gloves and Mittens

Post by Johnny » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:52 am

No, it doesn't mean File Transfer Protocol. And it doesn't mean Fuck The Police either. It stands for Free The Powder, a small company selling premium, plush and ultra warm ski gloves and mittens made from the best leather.

There was some very cold days here this winter. And thank God I had FTP gear to survive. I had been shopping for new gloves for quite some time. I tried most of the work gloves available on the market. And there was NO WAY I was going to buy those trendy 120$+ ski gloves from all the popular brands loved by puffy-coated ski and outdoor enthousiasts. After some research, I stumbled upon this small Utah based retailer, Free The Powder.

"My wife and I founded Free the Powder to offer gloves and mittens of the quality and price that we ourselves had searched for, but could seemingly never find. I’m a backcountry skier who gets cold hands easily, which means I need really warm hand protection that also provides excellent dexterity for handling gear. The problem is, warmth and dexterity are on opposite ends of glove design. And having a limited budget compounds the problem. So, after 40 years in ski country as a ski racer, backcountry ski bum, and mountain climber I set out to find a solution to this problem. Thus began an extensive research and development odyssey in 2013. Now, with the help of a small team of designers, leatherworkers, and a group of dedicated skiers and Ski Patrol, we have found a solution to the problem, and are proud to offer you Free the Powder Gloves."

So I got my hands on a pair of Season Pass gloves and Polar mittens. The Season Pass gloves are designed to strike the perfect balance between versatility and dedicated hand protection. Premium cowhide leather, with just the right amount of EVA knuckle padding and 200+ grams of FTP's own Breathefil, a special blend of synthetic fibers that maximize breathability and minimize hand-sweats. And the Polar mitts are designed to keep you on the mountain when everyone else is heading for the lodge, made of premium cowhide leather, ultra-breathable 4-Way stretch softshell, and 300+ grams of Breathefil™ insulation. Like pretty much everthing in 2018, they are made elsewhere. Pakistan in the case of FTP products.

FTP Gloves and mittens.jpg
They are both very nice designed. As FTP's founder Chase was telling me, We make gloves that are designed with extra insulation and all-stretchable materials that break in over time for optimum long-term performance and fit. Most glove brands are made for the showroom, with lighter insulation and rigid materials.

They are very well made. They do need some time to break in, but once they do, they are super comfortable. The Season Pass gloves offer very nice grip and control, with some nice padding. I never found gloves very warm for my poor old hands. Even tough my hands were still freezing at only 15F outside, the Season Pass gloves were still a lot warmer than my leather work gloves. I wish I had ordered a bigger size to use liners. (Some of their models already come with liners...)

Mittens are always warmer than gloves, and so were the Polar Mitts. They are just the best and warmest mitts I had. I just wish I had ordered them one size up too. I measured my hands according to their instructions, ordering mediums. I find them a tad small for my hands. I'll probably give them to the wife and order some more large gloves and mitts... 8-)

Price is quite good compared to similar other products. Keep in my that you always pay a very high premium for the brand name. They also make their own special treatment and water-proofing cream. An all-natural blend of Lanolin, Beeswax, Cocoa Butter, Coconut Oil, Avocado Oil, and Tahitian Manoi Oil. According to FTP, it is so good that it can be used for gloves, mitts or even on your own face... I'd like to see what they can do for leather boots...

FTP Season Pass Gloves: 80$
FTP Polar Mittens: 90$
www.freethepowder.com
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Greerman

Re: FTP Gloves and Mittens

Post by Greerman » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:33 am

For a temperature of 20-40 degrees, it is best to take gloves with natural fur or from nature leather. I know MCTi gloves are good for cold, but I have not tested. Here there is a selection of winter men's gloves and their characteristics https://leather-toolkits.com/reviews/be ... ki-gloves/ - look, maybe they write in the description at what temperatures the gloves are embroidered.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:48 am

I have just received the new, updated 2020 RX3 Pro lobster mitts and the RX Pro gloves from FTP. Woooah, beautiful products! Classic look, high quality and affordable!

You won’t find a warmer, more versatile ski glove than our most popular glove, the RX Pro.

Protect your hands with these plush long-cuff gloves featuring supple soft cowhide leather, waterproof and ultra-breathable softshell, and removable liners stuffed with Breathefil™ insulation.

_IMG_2067.jpg

They both are insulated with 3M's Thinsulate and yes, they are warm! They are super comfortable and the fit is perfect. (BE SURE to order one size bigger than usual... Two years ago I ordered the mediums and they were a bit tight... The XLarges are perfect for me...)

_IMG_2073.jpg

The leather is very high quality. Durable, quite thick but very soft. Holding the poles, the grip and dexterity is VERY nice and very precise, even with the three-finger ones. The removable liners are awesome. Very easy to remove, they fit perfectly inside. I'm very impressed, I have never been excited about gloves before. And guess what, they are only 59$ right now on FTP's website!

Probably the best gloves and mitts you can get, without the high luxury brand price tag. Can't wait to see how they perform on very cold days! I also finally got my hands on their super leather treatment and water-proofer oil. More info after full treatment... To be continued...

_IMG_2089.jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:10 pm

I also just picked up a pair of FTP gloves--last season's RX Pro glove. Fit and quality seems very good, and as usual a removable liner is the best way to go. It was $20 US cheaper than the current version, btw. I just need the snow and cold weather, which is sorely lacking in Colorado right now.
It is snowing in Switzerland:
https://schilthorn.ch/en/Infos/Live#livecam
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:22 pm

fgd135 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:10 pm
I also just picked up a pair of FTP gloves--last season's RX Pro glove. Fit and quality seems very good, and as usual a removable liner is the best way to go. It was $20 US cheaper than the current version, btw. I just need the snow and cold weather, which is sorely lacking in Colorado right now.
It is snowing in Switzerland:
https://schilthorn.ch/en/Infos/Live#livecam
I saw those, banging deal!

I just got my mittens. Pretty legit glove here, I didn't know what to expect and I pretty impressed. Snagged them still on sale, under the wire! I got XL, good idea. The fit guide said L but my fingers would have been too long.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:32 am

they look great. how are they selling a premium glove/mitt for less than half the price of "name brands" like Hestra? are they the same quality, just without the brand-name markup?

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:13 pm

bauerb wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:32 am
they look great. how are they selling a premium glove/mitt for less than half the price of "name brands" like Hestra? are they the same quality, just without the brand-name markup?
A better question may be, "how do brands like Hestra sell their gloves for twice as much"!

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:33 pm

Montana St Alum wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:13 pm

A better question may be, "how do brands like Hestra sell their gloves for twice as much"!
BINGO

I was in REI last week and pulled a pair of Hestra mittens off the shelf, it's basically the same glove with maybe one less "option" of some sort that I already forgot it was so trivial.

Don't get me wrong, I have a pair of Hestras from 1999 that I still wear, they are my glove (I got FTP mittens) but damn if the FTP mittens aren't an almost burlier option than the Hestra. Down to the stitching and everything. I'm 100% sold on the FTP wagon.

johral

Post by johral » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:03 pm

Do you guys have trouble with the leather getting soaked? We usually have pretty wet snow around here.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:11 am

johral wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:03 pm
Do you guys have trouble with the leather getting soaked? We usually have pretty wet snow around here.
I treat the living crap out of mine (Hestra & Kinco) with sno-seal. Haven't skied with the FTP's yet, but I imagine leather is leather. Pick your product? I guess with all the testing going on upstairs with Hydrobloc vs. Nikwax you would be positioned to know the best. FTP has a little vial of something something to schmear all over the gloves. I got one, but have not applied.