Alpina Alaska 75 boots

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Alpina Alaska 75 boots

Post by bgregoire » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:22 am

lilcliffy wrote:Ha! I do think I had a fever of sorts the other night, but I don't think it was really caused by NNN-BC! :oops:

However- the current Alaska 75 does seem improved over the earlier model...
Please share your observations, there is still lots of interest in the Alaska 75mm. Personally, I have only noticed a change in lace and leather color. As the sole is vibram, do you think any changes have been made to it that are specific to the alaska?
happy holidays!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:57 pm

Unfortunately I do not have a first gen Alaska 75 to compare to, but the current Alaska 75 has a stiffer sole flex and seems like it has a thicker duckbill than the first generation...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

gbouchard8
Favorite Skis: Voile Objective BC
Favorite boots: Fischer Traverse

Post by gbouchard8 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:40 am

Third year selling Alpina boot and got my first one with a broken duckbill. Even at 2 years old, Alpina replaced them. Very nice of them. Now, like i have seen here, Alpina use Vibram 75mm duckbill sole like almost every body else (if not welted). So Fischer or Rossignol should have the same problem. Am i right?

Anybody tried to glue a new Vibram sole?

2 years ago, i replaced a Alaska NNN-BC one because the sole was ungluing lightly from the boot. No structural problem.

What do you think?

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:01 pm

gbouchard8 wrote:Third year selling Alpina boot and got my first one with a broken duckbill. Even at 2 years old, Alpina replaced them. Very nice of them. Now, like i have seen here, Alpina use Vibram 75mm duckbill sole like almost every body else (if not welted). So Fischer or Rossignol should have the same problem. Am i right?

Anybody tried to glue a new Vibram sole?

2 years ago, i replaced a Alaska NNN-BC one because the sole was ungluing lightly from the boot. No structural problem.

What do you think?
Bonjour Guy! Bienvenue de la part d'un autre bas-laurentiens! ;)

I have seen or heard of thermomolded 75mm Vibram sole problems with all three brands. Not the same problem with all or on the same years necessarily. My partners Alaskas broke on the duckbill at the pin line as well a few years back and they were replaced with no issues.

I too assume Vibram sends the same soles to at manufacturers on any given year...Then again, some might be more prone to tearing or cracking because of the boots construction (for example the Alaska has a relatively stiff midsole)?

I have had a few thermomolded 75mm soles peel off of 10-15 year old boots. I was able to get these re-glued by a local cobbler, but in these instances the sole itself was not damaged. I don't think there is anything to be done with a torn duckbill unfortunately (other than using the boots with cables if that works).

Enjoy the rain! :(
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:49 pm

Mine were delivered today- pretty comfy. I went out for a quick ten miles of rolling terrain. I’m impressed with control and power I felt on rolling terrain...the added ankle support that my Alicos don’t have was pretty welcome. I’m going to say the Alicos have the edge on kick and glide though.

I think they’ll drive a bigger ski than the Alpinas I wore today, I’d like to try them on my Rossi BC 120s if we get some more snow.
Skiing…falling downhill…pretty much the same thing for this klutz.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:39 pm

Snow looks nice

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:35 pm

I picked up my boots today from MEC, they were on sale for 40% off so I couldn't resist. First Impressions: they seem very comfortable out of the box, much better fit than my Alico Ski March, which are wider. I mounted my Spike Lite Dogs on a piece of 2 X 4 to try the boot and it clicked in nicely. I couldn't get my Ski March to click in when I got it,
despite a bit of boot sanding, so it's limited to skis with Rotte ST.

I think I may sell the Ski March, used three days, as I have the Alaska's, so if anyone wants a pair of 41's for C$70 + shipping contact me.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:13 pm

Just a quick comment on my Alaska... both soles are cracked just behind the holes. I used for 2 winter only but most likely over a 100 days... I called the store to get the info for a possible warranty and he first asked me if I used them for telemark... he told me those boots are not designed to do telemark turn on a regular basis... Maybe we can disagree but I sure did a lot of turns with those boots... He also told me that they are not gonna sell the Rossi 75 mm anymore as there is simply too many warranty claim.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:28 pm

I really like 75 mm boots and bindings, but for Alaska class boots I’m glad I went for the Alaska BC. I can make decent Tele turns with the Alaska and my 200 cm USGI skis. I do better making step turns, and Tele Christie’s on my 210 Gamme. When I want another leather 75 mm boot, I will gladly pay the price for a Norwegian welted boot. With trans Atlantic shipping I hope I’ll get the fit right the first order!

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:17 pm

fisheater wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:28 pm
When I want another leather 75 mm boot, I will gladly pay the price for a Norwegian welted boot. With trans Atlantic shipping I hope I’ll get the fit right the first order!
I was lucky to buy the extra pair of Andrew Zenith from Cannatonic. I can’t wait to try them as they seem to be in a different league than the Alaska. I am looking to switch to NNN-BC for my narrower skis and the Alaska will most likely be the boots I buy as they fit my foot so well... Bit the guy I talked too at the store suggested I hurt the Alpina Wyoming for skis like the E99 as he said the Alaska were almost too rigid. What do you guys think?