Asnes Ingstad BC 2018 Ski Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Asnes Ingstad BC 2018 Ski Review

Post by Woodserson » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:14 pm

Still crushing and figuring these skis out. I will say the XCD with NNN-BC has always been a bit of a challenge for me but I am the dedicated type. Today I decided to take a page out of when I learned tele. Speed and pitch are your friend, Gamme The Green Knight is your Guide (minus the double pole plant), lean in, feel the wind, and CRUSH ON. I had some serious moments today coming down the mountain after skinning up. The clicking in the brain has begun! WOW. Fun ski! WOW!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:27 pm

Woodserson wrote:What width skins are you guys getting for the Ingstads? 45mm or 58mm?
I am using the 58mm Mohar X-Skin mostly- when I need the kicker skin (or rather wish to avoid soft wax/klister).

However...

We had a spectacular warm sunny afternoon yesterday- with loads of soft untracked snow to fly through!
I had been on a perfect Swix Green tour the night before and figured I might get away with Swix Blue Extra...no such luck and because it was only Dec 20- not freakin Mar 20- I was unwilling to spread softer wax or klister..

So- I decided to go with the X-Skins...
It ended up being an educational test- by accident.
One skiing partner was on his Ingstad BC with 58mm mohair X-Skin- I thought I was on the same. The third skier was on my E-109 Tour with 50mm Easy-Skin.
I was getting much better glide than the other two- couldn't figure it out until we stopped for a break and I noticed that I had grabbed my 45mm mohair X-Skin by accident!! I then had to try the Ingstad with the 58mm- huge difference in glide!!

If I had to have one skin for a ski as wide as the Ingstad BC it would be the 58mm mohair, but I highly recommend having the 45mm as well!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:51 am

We should probably move the kicker skin discussion to a separate thread?

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:53 am

Been using the Ingstad for three seasons now... Awesome ski... Still totally amazed at what it can do... I like the Ingstad more and more every day... Every year... Perfect on the downhill side, perfect on the flats, perfect for long walks in the wood... Ok ok, today was my first time taking Helge with me this winter... Falling for them again... 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

w8n4snow

Post by w8n4snow » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:10 pm

These photographs date from last February. $100 bills folded up fit nicely into the cracks. The mountain people at Åsnes sent me a pair of new skis, mistakenly waxless, but very quickly. I didn’t bicker but was somewhat disappointed- waxing is one of my meditations. However, I too would like to cast my lot in with those who would use a wider waxless ski coming out of an Åsnes workshop. Not too heavy on the scales, or the fish scales, please.

My Ingstads have seen many things and many miles, but the other skis in my quiver have mostly seen more, and are not delaminated. Oh- except e-109 which has shed their edges and now useless even as an October ski. Very weak but fun ski. I do understand that things happen when one makes things by hand- so I am not judging or criticizing. My pair was one of the first in North America I bet, I imagine there were kinks to be worked out. I expect these new Ingstads to see many miles during our March and April Magic Days. Thank you Åsnes for standing by your fine skis.

October brought some cold dry storms out of the north and the trails are starting to go in. Sheep and moose meat, mountain potatoes and carrots grace the table and young skiers are chomping at the bit. Should be another great winter.
1DBF01A0-B30A-43F0-A7FE-9CBD2ACD8AC6.jpeg
096A32B7-816A-400F-A8DC-EEBFD07E0627.jpeg
B794A5E2-975B-4472-B2D8-F09CB6ADF46C.jpeg

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:01 pm

w8n4snow wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:10 pm
Oh- except e-109 which has shed their edges and now useless even as an October ski. Very weak but fun ski.

Thank you Åsnes for standing by your fine skis.
Which e-109s are now useless? Are the xtralites? the Xtralites are pretty easy to ski through (wreck). The pre-xtralites were pretty much unbreakable.

That sucks about the delaminated Åsnes (i had a pair of the grey man do that too). But look at their customer service and policy. Unbeatable, never have i see anything like it in the modern ski world. Definitely worth it.
Last edited by bgregoire on Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:21 pm

I too had delamination issues with my first pair of 205cm Ingstad- the tip of one ski specifically-
When I contacted Asnes- sent them photos and the serial number- they new exactly what I was talking about- did not question it-
I had a brand new pair of 205cm Ingstad BC sitting in my kitchen in a week!
I have not had any delamination issues on the replacement BTW!
↑ I would suggest you contact Asnes and mention that you had wanted a sintered Ingstad BC...
Agree! Asnes warranty and customer service is AMAZING!
Pretty sure Waitin for Snow is speaking of the E109 Xtralite...

w8n4snow

Post by w8n4snow » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:58 am

Yes- the xtralite. A littletoolite. A very fun ski to shred anything, so long as there’s not too much soft snow and you’re not worried about covering country. I found them to be much more nimble than Ingstads as far as turns are concerned, but really they’re not in the same class as far as a mountain ski.

I am a bit bummed about the WL Ingstads with the Tupperware bases. Very slow and sluggish in most of the conditions we ski in. You can make a wax ski perform well in almost all conditions with some wax craft. I don’t believe the same can be said about a scaled ski.

They’ll still get some use once the sun starts cranking in April. Peace.

Ira

Post by Ira » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:29 pm

Hi, I'm more than a bit late to this thread (a few years too late), but just joined Telemark Talk a few days ago. I'd love to know whether the occasional delamination issue that a couple folks reported has been significant and whether it's present with Ingstad waxless? I'm consider this ski, but the only pair of skis I have owned for any length of time (Rossi BC 90's) delaminated (first year slightly, then worse each year for 5 years).

I'm now looking at owning different pairs for different conditions (Fischer 112's for deep, Ingstad WL for others) so might not use one particular set enough for any delamination tendency to come out in the first year. How long does Neptune honor the warranty if they delaminate a couple years later from light use?

Would love to hear other feedback about Ingstad -- especially how flush with the bottom of the skis are the metal edges (is it easy to get an edge in icy or crusty conditions)?

Thanks!

Krakus
Ski style: many falls
Favorite Skis: Tua Grande Neige :), Asnes Nansen, Salomon XADV89
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard, Fischer BCX675

Post by Krakus » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:30 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:21 pm
I too had delamination issues with my first pair of 205cm Ingstad- the tip of one ski specifically-
When I contacted Asnes- sent them photos and the serial number- they new exactly what I was talking about- did not question it-
I had a brand new pair of 205cm Ingstad BC sitting in my kitchen in a week!
I have not had any delamination issues on the replacement BTW!
↑ I would suggest you contact Asnes and mention that you had wanted a sintered Ingstad BC...
Agree! Asnes warranty and customer service is AMAZING!
Pretty sure Waitin for Snow is speaking of the E109 Xtralite...
You perhaps ordered them from another vendor, and your complaint was dealt directly by Asnes?