Alico Ski March Boot

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
gbouchard8
Favorite Skis: Voile Objective BC
Favorite boots: Fischer Traverse

Re: Alico Ski March Boot

Post by gbouchard8 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:26 pm

Mine with a very good insole and a few tricks are now more and more comfortable. Used them from january 2020 to april 2020 and now since a few ride this fall. They are becoming my goto boots. It is a good thing!!

mx.deiters

Post by mx.deiters » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:40 pm

Hi all, I am fairly new to the topic but living in Sweden and hence really want to make use of the great conditions here in the Northern part.

As I have very big feet (size 15/16 US), the ski march is pretty much the only available model. I'm sure they will fit fine, but I am a bit concerned as to what temperatures I can use those in, in the north of Sweden you may expect anything between -15 to -30 degrees Celsius. (5 to -20 F)

Would really appreciate some insights from this knowledgeable forum whether those are feasible temperatures with the ski march boot?

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:36 am

MX,
In Michigan, USA where I live 0 F is fairly cold. It isn’t that I have not been in -20 F, it’s just I don’t think I’ve skied in the Ski March at that temperature.
I know I have skied at 0 F and the boot was plenty warm. I am skiing the boot with the supplied thick wool insole in place. In my initial review I said the insole was approximately 1/8 inch which would be approximately 3 mm. The boot is Thinsulite insulated quantity not specified. I really don’t have a problem with my feet getting cold and I certainly do not have a problem in these boots wearing only a thin ski sock.
Overnight and multi day touring is different. I would want to overnight in these boots, before I ever did a multi day trip. I tour hard, but when I come home I throw my boots on my boot dryer, more as a boot care regimen. However they are warm and toasty the next morning.
I’ve had these boots for a few years. I didn’t have fit issues, I fortunately have not experienced any sole delamination. Although it is my understanding that I could as the glue fails in time. I also understand that they can be easily reglued and should be good for another ten years. They are somewhere close in weight to my T-4 boots. However the flex of the Ski March offers easier touring and better feel in downhill turns. I like the boot. I use it a lot. I will also add in full disclosure that I purchased an Alpina Alaska 75 this season to tour and tour faster and lighter when conditions allow.
Good luck, Happy trails

mx.deiters

Post by mx.deiters » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:15 am

Hi, thank you for the detailed reply. That is very helpful.

Please allow a follow-up question, I am just trying to verify that we are talking about the same shoes. I found these boots in the link below that have my size. Is that the same pair that you are talking about?

Thanks in advance,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/British-Army-N ... SwFhZdh38f

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:45 pm

Yes that is the boot, and the wool insoles are also in the photo

burne139

Post by burne139 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:26 pm

OK, I'm intrigued by these boots and have a question for the ski-marchers.

These seem to only come in whole sizes. I generally wear a US9.5 in most stuff, and don't have a really wide foot, high instep, etc. My alpine boots are 9.5 (though marked an eu44 in technica-land!), and most of my other footwear is a 9.5 or eu42.5. If I buy a UK8, am I going to be sorry and fighting a boot that's too small?

And another question concerning other older Alico boots: If they are marked in non-eur sizes, is it safe to assume it's UK sizing, or did they also mark boots in US sizing for the US market?

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:13 pm

The Ski March boot is British Army Surplus. They are sold in UK sizes, I have not seen half sizes. Sometimes they arrive in a wide size. Mine did, I’m not a “W”, but the thick felt insoles have taken up the volume and they work for me.
Shipping costs are 2-3x the cost of the boots. Perhaps the shipping for two sizes at once is less expensive than getting it wrong, then ordering again?
FYI, I am a US 11, the UK 10 boot fit me well.
Just curious, are you just trying to buy a cheap Norwegian welted boot? Because you are really gambling about $100. Now if you want a stiff soled boot, that can really handle xcD skis this is a good boot.
Fey Brothers out of New England, sells the Crispi Antarctic which is a lighter duty boot. It is Norwegian welt. They will give you sizing advice, and they have a return policy. Perhaps that is a better option?
I really like my Ski March boot. It fits and serves me well. BTW, I do have a UK 9. My son used it once. I’m in Michigan.

montrealer
Ski style: XC, XCBC, XCD, Telemark
Favorite Skis: Dynastar Legend 8000, Eon, Nansen, Ultravector BC
Favorite boots: Scarpa T2, Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by montrealer » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:33 pm

I've been meaning to get a setup in between my Madshus Eon + NNNBC Alaskas and my heavier resort setup which is a pair of Dynastar legends, G3 targas and Black Diamond Push boots.

Mostly for backcountry downhill laps on gentle terrain.

At first I was looking into a pair of Scarpa T4s, but they are impossible to get right now.

I stumbled on this thread and it seems like these boots might be a good option. A couple of questions:

1) Sizing:
I wear Size 42 Alaskas and they fit perfectly. I assume this corresponds to 8UK for the ski march? Can anyone with a similar size confirm or deny?

2) Bindings:
Am I right to assume that these won't work with 75mm bindings meant for plastic boots, like the Targas or the Voile Switchbacks?

I guess I'd need something like the Voile 3pin or Rottefella Super Telemark?
thanks!

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:05 pm

Hi @montrealer , you wouldnot be from montreal by any chance?

I usually wear EU42, US9. I've got a pair of new Alico Ski March UK8 (should translate to US8.5 or 9), which could very will suit you. PM if interested.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

montrealer
Ski style: XC, XCBC, XCD, Telemark
Favorite Skis: Dynastar Legend 8000, Eon, Nansen, Ultravector BC
Favorite boots: Scarpa T2, Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by montrealer » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:47 pm

thanks! I sent you a message (I think...I see it in Outbox with a "sent at 7:15" but not in Sent Messages)