Alico Ski March Boot

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Buda

Re: Alico Ski March Boot

Post by Buda » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:30 pm

Ah, good to know. Thanks

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:18 pm

Well my size 7’s arrived safely. I put them on, they fit, but I couldn’t get them to snap into my Spike 3 Pins. I had exactly the same issue when I first mounted the Spike and couldn’t get my T3’s to snap in. After a bit of side grinding of the soles I eventually got them to work. After a sole sanding session with the Alico’s I still couldn’t them to fit so I gave up for the day.

However, it occurs to me that there may possibly be an incompatibility issue with leather boots and Spike 3 pins. I can’t see why there should as the sole is presumably as stiff in a leather boot as a plastic one. Has anyone else had an issue with leather boots and Spike bindings?

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:54 pm

Nick BC wrote:However, it occurs to me that there may possibly be an incompatibility issue with leather boots and Spike 3 pins. I can’t see why there should as the sole is presumably as stiff in a leather boot as a plastic one. Has anyone else had an issue with leather boots and Spike bindings?
I think I've read the Alico March sole (duckbill) is thicker than most? Perhaps even thicker than a plastic shell boot duckbill? Measure the height for the fun of it and compare with your other boots. If the March duckbill is in fact too thick, you could try sanding some of the underside of the sole off?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:30 pm

I'm pretty sure the some of the Alico Double duckbills are thicker also, if you read the STP reviews people are talking about having to grind it down a bit.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:42 pm

Cannatonic wrote:I'm pretty sure the some of the Alico Double duckbills are thicker also, if you read the STP reviews people are talking about having to grind it down a bit.
Perhaps I've got the two models confused? Or is it the case with both?

I discovered I need to get my Crispi Sydpolen ground down on the sides. They fit the Rotefella Super Telemark just fine but its too tight a squeeze in the Voilr 3pin cable..
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Nick BC

Post by Nick BC » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:17 pm

I checked and my T3 soles are 3/4 “ as are the Ski March soles. I’ll just have to grind on.

Buda

Post by Buda » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:20 pm

I just got 2 pairs (UK sizes 8 and 9) and the bill are 3/4" thick and fit in my Rottefella Super Telemark bindings.

martin2007

Post by martin2007 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:21 pm

Second short tour in as many days in my new Ski Marches up in Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park. I prepped them last spring with the Zamberlan product recommended on this thread, and walked the neighbourhood a few times. They're good so far, though I've added my wear-everywhere custom orthotic inserts over top of the wool insole to eat up some space in them.

***Nick, I sent you a PM moments ago to ask you about your QST 99's.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:28 pm

Buda wrote:I just got 2 pairs (UK sizes 8 and 9) and the bill are 3/4" thick and fit in my Rottefella Super Telemark bindings.
Bud, so which one fits best? Are they too narrow or sweet?

Nick BC

Post by Nick BC » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:56 pm

The saga continues! I carried on duckbill grinding but when I try to step in now the pins leave a slight dimple BEHIND the pinholes. To me that implies the boot is now too far in the binding - AACK!!

So I’ve sent a message to Jay Cyclery (the retailer) asking for input. I presume they’ll pass it on to Louis of Burnt Mountain.