Madshus Glittertind BOOTS! Initial review - NNN-BC

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Madshus Glittertind BOOTS! Initial review - NNN-BC

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:50 am

Thanks for the update man- and excellent quality photo and graphic.

Forgive me- I had forgotten your call sign- I didn't relaize that I was communicating with the same Nansener in the "Midwidth thread". I thought that perhaps we had two active Nanseners on the forum!

Are you using the Glitt boot on the Nansen? If so- just the Nansen, or other skis as well?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

HBS

Post by HBS » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:12 am

lilcliffy wrote:Thanks for the update man- and excellent quality photo and graphic.

Forgive me- I had forgotten your call sign- I didn't relaize that I was communicating with the same Nansener in the "Midwidth thread". I thought that perhaps we had two active Nanseners on the forum!

Are you using the Glitt boot on the Nansen? If so- just the Nansen, or other skis as well?
Haha no problem - I figured the goading was continuing! If you're really looking for more Nansen info, Andrew Skurka uses the Nansen: http://andrewskurka.com/2015/gear-list- ... i-touring/

The nansens are my only backcountry nordic ski and I sold my old Fischer BCX 6's to the local used gear store so now the Glittertinds are my only NNN-BC boot!

I got some nordic skates I'm dying to use with the Glittertinds but we haven't had the usual blast of wind to knock all the snow off the alpine lakes this month. A little long term goal of mine is to skate all of the named lakes in Rocky Mountain National Park...

spwath

Post by spwath » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:57 pm

I know this topic is old, but I just got these boots, and would like to show a little fix I found for the straps hitting together. Just a little zip tie zipped around the plastic part, and the end of the plastic strap can go right in, like the excess strap on a watch or belt does. Works great, and walking around the house, I can not make them hit each other anymore. I have not gotten to use these boots for real though, as I am currently lacking in snow.

HBS

Post by HBS » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Great idea! Too late for one of my boots but I still have some strap worth saving on the other...

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:28 pm

Got the boots last month. Noticeably better downhill performance vs. Fischer OTX 5 boots (these fit me well but they start to tear after 1 season!). Plastic strap on the left boot broke the first time out but its now shorter and not a problem.

I really like the stiffness and downhill ability, I can easily tele and parallel turn on my Fischer S112 in fresh powder on 20+ degree slope, but I am concerned about the durability. Any comparisons vs. an Alfa leather boot?

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:43 pm

I have never even seen this boot in the flesh- but I am very familiar with Fischer's Offtrack 3 and 5 BC boots as my family have a couple of pairs- bought on clearance for my children's growing feet.

I own and regularly use:
- Alaska BC
- Svartisen BC
- Guard Advance BC

Examining the design of the Glittertind I find it hard to imagine it being as supportive as any of the above three- which are MUCH more supportive the Fischer OTX 3/5.

The Svartisen BC has the most ankle support of the above three- the Guard Advance second- the Alaska third.
The Alaska BC has the stiffest sole- the Svartisen and Guard Advance have almost identical soles- though both stiffer than the Fischer OTX 5 BC.

I also have a Rossignol BCX6- it is similar to the Fischer OTX 5 BC- and an older Fischer BCX6 which is as supportive as the Svartisen BC but has a foot/toe crushing flex.

I would be very interested in what you thought of a Skarvet or Guard Advance in comparison to the Glittertind boot.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:40 pm

I tried out a new 2016/2017 pair of Alfa Quest Core boots today. They are definitely softer than the Glittertind...but still stiffer than the Fischer OTX 5. I would like a pair of the new Alfa Guard Advanced GTX but I got this pair on sale NEW for only $20!! So I will wait until the glittertinds and the otx fall apart then order directly from Norway.

The GCW
Ski style: Alpine, Alpine B.C. Nordic B.C.

Post by The GCW » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:28 pm

I acquired these Madshus Glittertind's BOOTS (almost exactly to the day) 1 month ago.

Used them 24 times for 152 miles.

Yesterday, after skiing 3.5 miles into the Gore Range I turned around and it was only around 1/2 mile when the toe of the left boot delaminated. I pretty quickly realized I could still ski with the boot delaminated but If I leaned back (the only reason I'd do that is because I'm not good at descending, get off balance, perhaps freak out, and biff while snow plowing) I'd not have the familiar support, thus a biff. So I got out of there. Awesome day still.

Anyway, I'm disappointed on different levels.
1st because I like this boot. They are warm and I get cold feet easily. In fact most outings My feet perspire, which I will always trade for numbness. -I know that could screw Me on a longer colder day etc... They have good support, offer confidence, and look like Hollywood.

2nd because I want to replace them but now I have less consumer confidence in them. But I want another pair of them.

3rd, with this Covid thing, equipment is more difficult to come by. What was I to do?

So I awoke, today, went to work and took a break to deal with it. Had a plan to order another pair from down the hill (where it seems they have them in My size in stock and only have to wait till opening to verify...) and only had to get a refund after showing My receipt, get shipping in motion, use My old boots (soft, soft, soft), till I get My fix.

But the Nordic Center had another pair in My size and in a few minutes I walked out with another pair. I'm leary of this happening again, feel like it IS GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN, but I Am an American and I wanted this problem fixed right now and, well, it was.

I think I could have glued them back if I know of the glue they use to send rockets to the moon... I have another picture with a less pretty background showing the boot with it's mouth more open like Mr. Ed the horse, saying something like You should carry duct tape, next time You use Me.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ad4.jpg

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:32 pm

@The GCW, If you can't return them for a refund/replacement, the better news is that that is repairable. Just bring em to your trusted cobbler.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

The GCW
Ski style: Alpine, Alpine B.C. Nordic B.C.

Post by The GCW » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:50 pm

bgregoire,

Oh Be Joyful, graciously replaced them Monday the 22nd. Fortunately another in My size was available.

If they were older, I'd attempt to repair them.

The next day: Took them home and as soon as I put them on the left boot's back cuff cinch cord failed. Used them regardless, not expecting deep snow... I may get a knitting needle or equivalent and string that cord, secure it and live happily ever after.

-but consumer confidence isn't going up, yet the product is otherwise desirable.