Rossi BC X12 boot

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
MikeK

Re: Rossi BC X12 boot

Post by MikeK » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:44 am

lilcliffy wrote: I can get the BCX10 on clearance in the spring for less than $150CAN...may be I should be trying that before I fork over the cash for a Svartisen?
Yes cheaper. Maybe similar performance BUT the Crispi is real leather and has a Gore-Tex liner (both major selling points for me in terms of durability and comfort). Crispi might not fit your foot well though. It has a really wide toe box. I have no idea how the Rossis run.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:53 am

I love the feel, support, performance and comfort of leather as well (and durability).

I too appreciate the waterproof-breathable liner...not sure why nobody likes the Sydolpen (vs. the Antarctic)?

Rossi's current composite construction has a good flex though for a composite boot (i.e. it doesn't crush my damn foot).

The Fischer BCX6 I have is brutal on the metatarsus man. Apparently the current Fischer BCX6/BCX8 are an improvement.

Yeah- I would loove to have a Svartisen NNNBC boot (despite it feeling a bit like splitting hairs- but heck that doesn't stop me with skis does it?)

Back to the BCX12.

Woods- you mentioned that the cable binding was too powerful for your BCX675...how has the cable binding been with the Antarctic and the BCX12?

And while we are at it- how does the support of the Antarctic compare to a boot like the BCX675?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:14 pm

The cable binding has been much kinder to the Antarctic and the BC X12, though the 12 needed a bit of finangling to get the length right and now it's all out of whack for the Antarctic.

I would say the Antarctic is more supportive than the BC X6 in both sole stiffness, torsional stiffness, and ankle support. It's the way to go between those two boots.

Incidentally, I just got a pair of TRAK leather 75m boots, but not my size. The sole on those puppies is way stiff-- Vibram non-Norwegian welt (like the Rossi) and they are way stiffer than the BC X12... just throwing that out there for bgregoire. They just showed up in the mail today with a pair of skis I picked up.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:44 pm

Woodserson wrote: Incidentally, I just got a pair of TRAK leather 75m boots, but not my size. The sole on those puppies is way stiff-- Vibram non-Norwegian welt (like the Rossi) and they are way stiffer than the BC X12... just throwing that out there for bgregoire. They just showed up in the mail today with a pair of skis I picked up.
Wood, if you mean you found a stiffer soled non-norwegian welt in the Trak, very possible. The Karhu XCD Descent I mentionned earlier also have a very stiff sole, equivalent to the alico blaze or asole extreme. The thing is the Karhu and the Trak are NO LONGER produced. There are currently NO non-norwegian welt 75mm boots with soles stiffer than the Rossi bcx12 CURRENTLY produced, AFAIK. By the way, what size are your TRAKS? could be tempted if they are 42s! ;)
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:51 pm

I would protect those Karhu Descent boots with your life! Won't be able to find them again. Don't forget the Alico Double which is a very stiff boot, a real beast. It's the only serious leather tele boot available in the US.

btw I have a pair of Alico Tele Tours here - they are no stiffer than Antarctic. In fact, they are slightly lighter boots and have lower ankles. The leather seems a little nicer (more conformable) on the Antarctic. The Antarctic does have thinsulate insulation, something I'd rather not have. I've tried on the Crispi Sydoplen, nothing wrong with them, I don't prefer gore-tex liners with leather boots but I'm sure they'd be great.

Look at what I picked up on sale over New Year's…..had to do a computer search to the very ends of the earth to find these babies!! needless to say I will NOT let these out of my sight….this is like finding the last wooly mammoth!!
IMG_0643.JPG
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:17 pm

Cannatonic wrote: Look at what I picked up on sale over New Year's…..had to do a computer search to the very ends of the earth to find these babies!! needless to say I will NOT let these out of my sight….this is like finding the last wooly mammoth!!
IMG_0643.JPG
Sexy! Those are Andrews' Zenith:
http://andrewshoes.com/prodotti/it/telemark/175/

Man, so you got them delivered from Aussie land?

You'll need to review them for us! Tired of your teletours? Think of me! :)
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:21 am

The Traks are 45, too small for me, but might be perfect for a few friends and my brother... it'll be nice to keep a spare set of boots around so we can go skiing together.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:33 pm

Sad to say two of my friends busted their Rossi BCX12 boots on the same mostly flat with gentre rolling hill outing we shared last weekend. The first snapped one instep buckle off in the bush. The other noticed that his voile 3pin cable gashed a hole in the toe cap a few days after the dayout. He was mostly skiing with his cables on.

That first friend of mine was actually on his 2nd pair of Rossi BCX12. His first pair had started falling apart after a relatively short time, and he managed to convince the distributor to exchange the pair for a new one. The actual exchange process appears to have been quite complicated and bothersome and took several months. Imagine his frustration when his buckle blew on his new boots.