Freedom OF expression/Freedom FROM expression

This is the place to debate politics, global warming, and yes, even the origin of man, whatever. Simply put, if you want to argue about off topic stuff, you've found the right board. Have fun!
connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Freedom OF expression/Freedom FROM expression

Post by connyro » Wed May 13, 2015 12:15 pm

We all know that freedom of expression accommodates people wanting to express themselves, but does/should it also include freedom FROM expression, meaning do we also have the freedom to choose what we listen to as well? To me, just because someone has the right/freedom to say and think whatever they want doesn't mean that I must listen if I don't want to. In other words, if a community does not want to listen to someone ranting and raving, then that community has the right/freedom not listen to them. It works both ways: freedom OF expression is equal to freedom FROM expression. You've got the right to shoot your mouth off and I have the right to not listen. Right or wrong?

MikeK

Re: Freedom OF expression/Freedom FROM expression

Post by MikeK » Wed May 13, 2015 12:39 pm

Uh oh... what did I say now?

I read something very interesting about this recently, I can't recall where, but I'll see if I can find it. It made some interesting comments about the first amendment. I suppose you could read it yourself and infer everything the article in question relates, but I've been too dumb to interpret the law. Every time I do, I get in trouble.

connyro

Post by connyro » Wed May 13, 2015 12:58 pm

Haha! It's not something that YOU said. To be honest, I'm talking about the instance where someone gets, I dunno, banned or something from a forum for being disruptive, and then cries "boohoohoo! you are trampling my freedom of expression." Is it a violation of freedom of expression when said community boots the offender out? I'm genuinely curious what other people's perspective on this is.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed May 13, 2015 1:19 pm

Said article, which I can't seem to find or recall... maybe it was a good forum post I read... damn senility is setting in early... talked about that very thing. It was related to freedom of speech on the internet and forum management (I'm trying to get ahead in this new gig). Something to the affect that private forums had nothing to do with the first amendment, that it was only related to the fact that the government allows freedom of speech, not private individuals. For instance the company I work for can censor the shit out of what I say or terminate my employment if they feel it somehow compromises their business.

Also I found this quote, which I believe to be true:

Chris Bast says:
The First Amendment is only meant to restrict the government and protect public expression of speech. It has never applied to private forums. So no, it is not a violation of freedom of speech to apply rules to what someone is allowed to say in your private forum.

Think about it this way. If you host a dinner party at your home and one of the guests starts spewing profanity and creeping on every woman in sight, do you have the right to throw him out of your house? Of course. A private forum is no different. You are under no obligation to respect anyone's First Amendment rights in your own private forum. You can run that forum like the Stasi if you want. It's your house. You make the rules. If the guests don't like the way you run things, they are free to leave.
I've been banned from a number of forums. In most cases I was not treated fairly, I was cast out because my thoughts and ideals did not mesh with group. Other instances I clearly violated the rules. I don't sign up to forums with the intention of being banned, but it does happen, and not enough IMHO. I don't take a great offense to it in most cases. I've run into a number of cliques in real life that I didn't get on with, and they essentially banned me from their club, or never really let me in. It's perfectly natural. I don't necessarily like the cliquish, herd mentality, but I can understand why it exists. I've always been one to speak out against what is popular so I've not maintained many of these cliques either on the internet or in reality. Some people will accept you for having an unpopular opinion, but usually that depends on the opinion. I can't say I've always been as accepting as I should be to this type of thing.

So in essence, and in a roundabout way from a private standpoint I think the Freedom FROM Expression generally dominates in private life i.e. you have the right ask someone to leave your personal property who may be saying things you don't like. The Freedom OF Expression seems to be more dominant in government interaction/protest or guaranteeing that someone cannot censor you in your private space. It by no means says anyone has to listen to you or put up with hateful or abusive language.

If you choose to extend those ideals into your private space, then good for you... but it's NOT the First Amendment.

connyro

Post by connyro » Wed May 13, 2015 1:34 pm

Well put MikeK. That quote that you posted is good too and I agree. I forget that you've been banned from the codgers' forum (fairly or not) so you have a good perspective on this exact thing.

Freedom of thought and freedom of expression also include one's right to not listen. Intentionally disruptive members in a community act to inhibit the free expression of thought by frightening or intimidating others from expressing their views.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed May 13, 2015 1:45 pm

In most cases I've noticed when someone is banished, they simply don't fit in or they've got into a disagreement with the wrong person, and/or went too far with that disagreement. It happens. It happens in real life, and sometimes you resolve it, and sometimes you head off in another direction. Other times it's just people who are willfully trying to be malicious for the intent of entertainment i.e. Trolls. All these lines get blurred and usually the most egregious offenders do a little of everything, but they usually aren't unprovoked. There is always two sides to every story.

Being a misfit makes you realize these things, and there really isn't much difference in reality to internet.