National Engineers Week

This is the place to debate politics, global warming, and yes, even the origin of man, whatever. Simply put, if you want to argue about off topic stuff, you've found the right board. Have fun!
MikeK

National Engineers Week

Post by MikeK » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:46 pm

Not so much as a fuckin' cookie at work! WTF is this shit?!? No one tried to hug me either... that might be because I look like any other jackoff in a collared shirt... hmm...

Rokjox

Re: National Engineers Week

Post by Rokjox » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:24 am

Dude, by now you know that nobody likes people who know stuff and can do shit, unless you are under a service contract. You make people feel like they are expected to know stuff too. And thats wack.

If you want something you should just make it outta some dohickies and shut up about wanting recognition.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:13 pm

Rokjox wrote:Dude, by now you know that nobody likes people who know stuff and can do shit
Hmm... apparently you don't many engineers, because most don't know shit and and/or can't do shit...

And don't you want to give me a hug Rocko? I'll let it slide that it's almost a month late...

Rokjox

Post by Rokjox » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:38 pm

MikeK wrote:
Rokjox wrote:Dude, by now you know that nobody likes people who know stuff and can do shit
Hmm... apparently you don't many engineers, because most don't know shit and and/or can't do shit...

You'd be wrong. Daddy was an engineer. Mommy married an engineer, poor woman. I was a paid professional engineer knower. I have see close up how many enginears can do shit, I used to spank them all the time. I was a draftsman. Design draftsman, mostly to land butchers. Some pretty cool stuff working for the local F&G, though.

Some arch, some mech, lotsa survey...

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:52 pm

I think you miss my humor Roxy...

I'm an engineer - I know many. Know many technicians, machinists, drafters (designers), etc as well. Those are my people... it's the business and management people I don't always get along with.

Rokjox

Post by Rokjox » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:39 pm

MikeK wrote:I think you miss my humor Roxy...

I'm an engineer - I know many. Know many technicians, machinists, drafters (designers), etc as well. Those are my people... it's the business and management people I don't always get along with.

No, I got that. I can spot engineros 2. They carry the license, get big bucks, eat lunch with the client, Draftsman do the work, make the plans, get paid buckus and eat quiznos at the tube. Engineers come to work late, leave early; Technicians work 10 hour days and get comp leave instead of overtime.

I too am very familiar. I was/is the perfect draftsman. I know everything and I don't get along with anybody, period. Including my wife and kids.

... you had humor...?

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:17 pm

Not me... not the engineers I work with.

I eat at the tube. Come in late, leave late... get stuck in meetings, have to run tests because we don't have enough techs - I don't even eat Quiznos, I eat food from home. I don't have a PE license, it's pointless in a big company - looks good on a resume I guess. I have 3 computers at my desk... my normal machine, an analysis machine, and a test laptop. 95% of the time I make my own models and designs, then pass them off to draftsmen or women to make prints, and if they are busy or don't do it the way I like, I make my own prints. I do design, analysis, drafting building and testing. I have a giant roll cab full of tools that constantly get stolen by other technicians and I have no place to put. I am the keeper the laser vibrometer, and I know how to use it. My back constantly hurts because I sit at a desk enough to make me weak, but I have enough need to wrench and lift heavy things to keep me injured. Every shirt I own has an oil stain on it somewhere. I regularly spin things to very high RPM. Other than my computers my desk usually consists of various coffee and drink stains, crumbs, misc nuts, bolts and washers, papers of all sorts with various scribbles, selected doo-dads and widgets from past or current projects, usually text book or two, trophies, patent plaques, diplomas... nothing of any worth. I talk back to managers, argue with colleagues in front of customers and swear regularly and often. I'm trying to learn to say 'no fuckin' way' in every language of customers we deal with. My temper is quick, especially with managers and other engineers who want to change designs the day before we get parts. I'm practical and I know how long it takes to get things done, this of course factors in the amount of time I will fuck off both on the computer and in real life... my sense of urgency is usually a function of how likely I actually think any of what I am doing is going to matter. But, I get stuff done - I make few errors, and I know how shit works, so people tolerate me... well some do.

Sounds like you would have made a great engineer Rok!

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri May 08, 2015 4:16 pm

Well I actually did get a hug for being an engineer... or whatever...

Last weekend my wife made me go to a keg party... yeah I know that sounds awful, but the part that made it less enjoyable for me was it was a fundrasier... well that's not the bad part, that was kind of good actually... but really that it was mostly teachers. Now a teacher by his or her self isn't that bad, but when you put a bunch of them together, and especially when there is booze involved they all form these little groups and talk and talk and talk about work, and kids, and state mandates and all the shit I have to hear my wife bitch about. Once in a while I'd get to talk about something that wasn't teaching and somewhat interested me, but it was pretty rare...

Anyway, that's all background... onto the hug...

Well it turns out it was a nice day out, and I got there early to set up our PA so we could use it to play tunes... fuck, it's still there, I gotta pick that up... well I was kinda hanging out on the porch, drinking from the good keg (it was some craft beer I'd never heard of but the other was Genesee, a local Adjunct swill) and people were starting to show up. Just as people were starting to mingle and do their thing I heard a large POP down by the road. I already had a good buzz at this point so I didn't think much of it. The pop was of course followed by a whup-whup-whup of someone driving on a flat...

I looked around and assessed the situation. A bunch of urban school teachers and few other people I didn't really know. A couple started to walk down to the car which had pulled in at the end of the driveway of the house where the party was. I could tell these people were going to be of no use. Then I saw the driver and passenger. An Asian couple - sorry for the stereotype but I didn't see either of them knowing what they were doing...

So... I walked down. Sure enough none of them had the slightest idea on how to change a tire. There was some sense of panic. I immediately went into my don't ask questions, just do what you gotta do mode. I explained to the couple that it wasn't a big deal and asked them to pop the trunk. At this point some dude shows up I don't know, and I think he was trying to be helpful but he was mainly just getting in the way. I let him prance around and talk while I jacked up the car until he annoyed the first time, at which point I told him I had it under control. Changing a tire is not hard, I didn't need a freakin' coach. So in a min or two the donut was on, and the car was ready to go on the ground. The Asian guy was watching the whole time and wanted to figure all this out for the next time I guess. I think he was kind of embarrassed at how easy it was and that he didn't know how to do it himself. So I let him set the car down and made sure to tighten all the lugs, and pointed out that step to him.

Somehow or other after the car was on the ground we were talking and they were thanking me, and asked what I do. I said I was engineer but joked you didn't need a degree in mechanical engineering to change a tire. They laughed but I'm not sure they got it. Their English wasn't great either. The woman was so ecstatic about the car being fixed so quickly she gave me a big hug. I awkwardly, and somewhat like the picture on the OP, accepted... I'm not really that awkward, but I had tire grime all over my hands and was a bit sweaty (I get sweaty easier when I've been drinking), and she was dressed quite nice so I was trying not to dirty her up.

We invited them to stay at the party but they were eager to get on their way, so we saw them off. So I guess in a roundabout way, I got that hug for being an engineer... or just someone who can do something besides press buttons on a smart phone... not sure. I felt slightly more capable than a monkey, that's all I know.