Sno-Go ski bikes

This is the place to debate politics, global warming, and yes, even the origin of man, whatever. Simply put, if you want to argue about off topic stuff, you've found the right board. Have fun!
FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Sno-Go ski bikes

Post by FourthCoast » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:47 pm

Does anyone else think these things are really dangerous? If someone riding one of these Sno-Go bikes hits someone it will be like hitting a pedestrian with a mountain bike going downhill. Am I an old grump?

https://www.michigan.gov/skitheporkies/ ... ies/sno-go

Lhartley

Re: Sno-Go ski bikes

Post by Lhartley » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:59 pm

I really like bikes. Road them my whole life and got paid to ride them 9 hours a day year round in downtown Calgary. I don't get the need to turn them into winter sports though. Winter commuting? Yay. Fat biking? OK, not sure why you get 50 percent of the trails and almost all the single track, but yay. These weird things though? Wtf

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... =40#p49595

Post by Krummholz » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:29 am

We have had them for years at Winter Park Resort near me. Never saw them getting any crazier than the snow boarders. I had more problems with people skiing runs above their skill level and boarders/skiers flying out of the trees across runs without looking for anyone coming down that run. One of the reasons I gave up downhil, another being the $$$$.$$ Maybe the next time a friend of a friend gets me a free pass and he says “Don’t bring those skinny skis and leather boots” I’ll rent a bike!
Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!

FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Post by FourthCoast » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:26 am

Krummholz wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:29 am
We have had them for years at Winter Park Resort near me. Never saw them getting any crazier than the snow boarders. I had more problems with people skiing runs above their skill level and boarders/skiers flying out of the trees across runs without looking for anyone coming down that run. One of the reasons I gave up downhil, another being the $$$$.$$ Maybe the next time a friend of a friend gets me a free pass and he says “Don’t bring those skinny skis and leather boots” I’ll rent a bike!
Fair enough. I have not seen anyone pointing them straight down the hill and riding completely out of control like I see all the time from people on skis.

So ... maybe I am wrong. If these bikes tend to select for people who want to take it easy on the hill and just cruise after taking a lesson then maybe it is not so bad.

I just don't like that big chunk of metal up off the ground.