Posting photos

This is the place to debate politics, global warming, and yes, even the origin of man, whatever. Simply put, if you want to argue about off topic stuff, you've found the right board. Have fun!
Bostonian

Posting photos

Post by Bostonian » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:58 am

I haven’t figured this out yet but wanted to post a selfie to introduce myself. Does anyone have any tricks or tips? Are there size or format restrictions?

Lhartley

Re: Posting photos

Post by Lhartley » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:13 pm

Bostonian wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:58 am
I haven’t figured this out yet but wanted to post a selfie to introduce myself. Does anyone have any tricks or tips? Are there size or format restrictions?
Scroll down to attachments, "add file". Choose your file, then "place inline". You can preview from there and see if you've formatted your post correctly. I'm a phone and computer idiot so maybe somebody else can explain better

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... =40#p49595

Post by Krummholz » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:18 am

@Bostonian

Hi, If you are using an Apple phone to take a picture it will be in the wrong format, especially if it is a “Live” photo. I.e. - the dot in a circle in a hashed circle, if it’s yellow it’s on. Tap to turn off in the photo app or when you edit the photo you have taken, I’ve sometimes had to edit, crop, the size down to make it work.
Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!

Bostonian

Post by Bostonian » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:51 pm

It’s a file format thing for sure.Thanks for the tip.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:42 pm

Below is a screenshot of me trying to post a picture — unsuccessfully.
If it gives you an error, you can touch / click on the yellow triangle on the right side and it will pop up a dialogue box that tells you what the problem is.
It seems to me that the pixel limitation aspect ratio favors Landscape (Horizontal) format and, for me, often rejects Portrait (Vertical) orientation.

If it’s possible, it would be great if an Admin, like @Han Solo or @Teleia Organa could modify the BBS settings to make this easier for people to use. I think a lot of time is sometimes wasted trying to make picture uploads work.
IMG_3574.jpeg

Teleia Organa
Forum Moderator
Occupation: Moderating this place. Please use the [!] button to report offensive content or unwanted private messages.

Post by Teleia Organa » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:26 am

Stephen wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:42 pm
it would be great if an Admin, like @Han Solo or @Teleia Organa could modify the BBS settings to make this easier for people to use
You can easily post pictures of any size, portrait or landscape. The problem is your file, it might be corrupted. Just try re-uploading. Here is a 800x1067 picture to show you. Same size as yours, no problem.

test800.jpg

Stephen
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94

Post by Stephen » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:59 am

Teleia Organa wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:26 am
Stephen wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:42 pm
it would be great if an Admin, like @Han Solo or @Teleia Organa could modify the BBS settings to make this easier for people to use
You can easily post pictures of any size, portrait or landscape. The problem is your file, it might be corrupted. Just try re-uploading. Here is a 800x1067 picture to show you. Same size as yours, no problem.

test800.jpg

If you look at the error message with the red arrows and underlines in my above post, it says that the picture size limits are “1200 pixels wide and 800 pixels high” and that mine is 800 wide and 1067 high.

Some people know a lot about manipulating digital images, I suspect most don’t. I know a little and have been able to work around the limits on this BBS. Don’t know if it’s possible, but if the vertical limit on this forum could be increased to say 1200, that might solve some problems?
Maybe someone with more experience can chime in?

Also, if I download your picture to my device and look at its properties, it says the image is 600 by 800.
IMG_9484.jpeg

Teleia Organa
Forum Moderator
Occupation: Moderating this place. Please use the [!] button to report offensive content or unwanted private messages.

Post by Teleia Organa » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:21 pm

Stephen wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:59 am
it says that the picture size limits are “1200 pixels wide and 800 pixels high” and that mine is 800 wide and 1067 high
You can upload images of any size, but with a file size not greater than 10MB. I was able to upload my 1067px high picture with no problem. The numbers you see in the message only mean that any image larger than 1200x800 will automatically be resized ater uploading. There must have been some metadata corruption in your JPEG file or a problem during the upload.

Also, if I download your picture to my device and look at its properties, it says the image is 600 by 800.
That's because every picture you upload are automatically resized on the server to save space.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:46 pm

Teleia Organa wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:21 pm
Stephen wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:59 am
it says that the picture size limits are “1200 pixels wide and 800 pixels high” and that mine is 800 wide and 1067 high
You can upload images of any size, but with a file size not greater than 10MB. I was able to upload my 1067px high picture with no problem. The numbers you see in the message only mean that any image larger than 1200x800 will automatically be resized ater uploading. There must have been some metadata corruption in your JPEG file or a problem during the upload.

That's because every picture you upload are automatically resized on the server to save space.
@Teleia Organa, first off, thank you for looking into this.

I strongly doubt file corruption or something going wrong during uploading is the problem.
And, based on testing, neither is image file size (see file sizes in attached picture, below).
I have NEVER had a problem when attaching Landscape Oriented images (where pixel width is greater than pixel hight).
Every upload issue I have ever had is with Portrait Orientation.
In the past, I have gotten around this by either: cropping the image (make less high), using a third party image resizer, or, by emailing the picture to myself, saving that picture, and using it, instead of the original.
The picture attached, below, is an example of just that: The original was rejected, the smaller sized email version, of the exact same picture, worked.
If the file was corrupt, I would not be able to email it to myself and then use it to get around whatever it is in the phpBB settings that is causing the problem.

Below is info on how phpBB can manage images, from phpBB support page. Maybe you can check settings based on that:
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... _settings/

Image Category Settings

DISPLAY IMAGES INLINE: How image attachments are displayed. If this is set to NO, a link to the attachment will be given instead, rather than the image itself (or a thumbnail) being displayed inline.
CREATE THUMBNAIL: This setting configures your board to either create a thumbnail for every image attached, or not.
MAXIMUM THUMBNAIL WIDTH IN PIXELS: This is the maximum width in pixels for the created thumbnails.
MAXIMUM THUMBNAIL FILESIZE: Thumbnails will not be created for images if the created thumbnail filesize exceeds this value, in bytes. This is useful for particularly large images that are posted.
MAXIMUM IMAGE DIMENSIONS: The maximum size of image attachments, in pixels. If you would like to disable dimension checking (and thereby allow image attachments of any dimensions), set each value to 0.
IMAGE LINK DIMENSIONS: If an image attachment is larger than these dimensions (in pixels), a link to the image will be displayed in the post instead. If you want images to be displayed inline regardless of dimensions, set each value to 0.

IMG_3577.jpeg
@TallGrass, where are you? Surely you have some ideas…
:D

Teleia Organa
Forum Moderator

Post by Teleia Organa » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:20 am

Stephen wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:46 pm
Below is info on how phpBB can manage images, from phpBB support page. Maybe you can check settings based on that: MAXIMUM IMAGE DIMENSIONS: The maximum size of image attachments, in pixels. If you would like to disable dimension checking (and thereby allow image attachments of any dimensions), set each value to 0.

You can upload images of any size.

The numbers you see in the MAXIMUM IMAGE DIMENSIONS only mean that any image larger than 1200x800 will automatically be resized ater uploading.