Biological Annihilation

This is the place to debate politics, global warming, and yes, even the origin of man, whatever. Simply put, if you want to argue about off topic stuff, you've found the right board. Have fun!
twopass
Favorite Skis: Tatra Gopher High 12's
Favorite boots: Red Wing

Biological Annihilation

Post by twopass » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:03 pm

Last edited by twopass on Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I really have had enough of illogical detraction by association as a way of avoiding logical argument by an absurd extension of ad hominem argument to third parties."

twopass

Re: Bugpocalypse

Post by twopass » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:07 pm

"I really have had enough of illogical detraction by association as a way of avoiding logical argument by an absurd extension of ad hominem argument to third parties."

twopass

Post by twopass » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:31 pm

Mexican conservationist Homero Gómez González was found dead Wednesday, about two weeks after he was reported missing, provoking a wave sorrow from allies and advocates worldwide as they honored his work running a butterfly sanctuary in the state of Michoacán.

"Authorities found Gómez González's body floating in a well in the community of El Soldado de Ocampo, not far from the butterfly sanctuary," according to the Washington Post. "Authorities told local media outlets that his body did not show any obvious signs of violence. But Gómez González's friends didn't have any details."

https://t.co/it9IXdVPw7

twopass

Post by twopass » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:09 pm

Raúl Hernández worked as a tour guide at a butterfly sanctuary in Michoacán state.

His body, which bore signs of beatings and a head injury, was found two days after the funeral of Homero Gómez.

Mr Gómez managed a monarch butterfly sanctuary in the same state and had received threats, his family said.
https://t.co/ZoFv57q7O0

twopass

Post by twopass » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:33 pm

When you were young, were you the type of child who would scour open fields looking for bumble bees? Today, it is much harder for kids to spot them, since bumble bees are drastically declining in North America and in Europe.

A new study from the University of Ottawa found that in the course of a single human generation, the likelihood of a bumble bee population surviving in a given place has declined by an average of over 30%.
https://phys.org/news/2020-02-bumble-be ... _TrendMD_1

twopass

Post by twopass » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:41 pm

Highlights

We are pushing many ecosystems beyond recovery, resulting in insect extinctions.

Causes are habitat loss, pollution, invasives, climate change, and overexploitation.

We lose biomass, diversity, unique histories, functions, and interaction networks.

Insect declines lead to loss of essential, irreplaceable services to humanity.

Action to save insect species is urgent, for both ecosystems and human survival.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 0719317823

twopass

Post by twopass » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:50 pm

twopass

Post by twopass » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:20 pm

twopass

Post by twopass » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:04 pm

Tropical forests now emit more carbon than they are able to absorb from the atmosphere as a result of the dual effects of deforestation and land degradation, a new study says.

The research challenges the long-held belief that forests act as “carbon sinks” by storing more carbon than they emit due to natural processes and human activity.

Instead, the world’s tropical forests could have experienced a net loss of around 425m tonnes of carbon from 2003 to 2014, the lead author tells Carbon Brief. This figure is considerably higher than previous estimates of carbon loss from tropical forests.

The findings suggest that curbing deforestation and protecting existing forests could be instrumental in removing greenhouse gases from the atmosphere and fighting future climate change, he adds.
https://www.carbonbrief.org/tropical-fo ... n-activity

twopass

Post by twopass » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:24 am