OAC XCD 160 and XCD GT UC Skis

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: OAC XCD Skis

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:42 am

Anyone tried these skis yet? I am very interested...

And this recent video I watched (thank you Master Satchel!) is making me question whether I want a ski as wide/big as the Vector/Kom for my local steep-and-deep ravines...

This video demonstrates how much more responsive a narrow ski is- if you want to ski with soft XC boots.

Also- despite how little sidecut these skis have- the short length, smooth flex, single camber and open tips make these skis highly manoeuvrable and they clearly have effortless turn initiation.

I really dig the sidecut and flex profile of this ski...

I have been seriously considering the Nansen- or perhaps a short length of the new Ingstad- but, I am now seriously considering this ski...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:43 am

Man LC....I was actually gonna start a thread about these today myself! But I see there already is one. Good stuff!

They are a really intriguing Ski for sure. They feel "accessible" in a way that I like. This almost seems like a great Ski to have around just so when friends from the city visit I can be like "here, just strap whatever the hell you're wearing to these and lets go!" Then we can just be out enjoying ourselves on the trail with no fuss. There's a place in Burlington (VT) i used to visit as a kid that seems to stock OAC, though they don't currently have these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:23 pm

Whoaaaaa!

Just realized that the skis in the video test are NOT the standard XCD 160- they are the new XCD GT UC.

OAC XCD profile: 85-72-80mm

OAC XCD GT UC profile: 116-86-116mm

lilcliffy

New OAC XCD GT UC

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:35 pm

Anyone know anything about the new OAC XCD GT?

Sidecut: 116-86-116mm

Not even on the OAC website yet...
https://www.skinbased.com/skis

But already for sale at MEC!
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5055-509/XCD-GT-UC-Skis

Video of them in action:

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:21 pm

lilcliffy wrote:Whoaaaaa!

Just realized that the skis in the video test are NOT the standard XCD 160- they are the new XCD GT UC.

OAC XCD profile: 85-72-80mm

OAC XCD GT UC profile: 116-86-116mm
Oh shit! I'm still new to this and I did notice the "GT" designation in the video but somehow just thought it was a name update.

That's a horse of a different color! See ya in the new thread [emoji16]

Young Satchel

Re: New OAC XCD GT UC

Post by Young Satchel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:22 pm

Subscribed! This looks like such a cool Ski. I'm anxious to hear some feedback if anyone gets on em this season...

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:41 pm

Here's another of the original OAC XCD 160 on the tour in Lapland. Lots of uphill and flat in this one. Looks like a bit of a slog, but still fun:

And another with some downhill/turn action... (music makes me wanna kill my self though [emoji24])

Damn it. I don't even own ANY skis yet but am already seeing very quickly how one could amass 5-10 pairs with ease.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:21 pm

I had the chance to see the new / upcoming OAC XCD GT UC here last winter... I was very excited about it...

In fact, OAC had a pair for me but their North American distributor decided at the last minute that he wouldn't let me go home with them... The ski itself is really beautiful, but I wanted to fully test it on snow before spreading the news... No bullshit on Telemark Talk, just Real reviews by real skiers... 8-)

According to Miika at OAC, it's a "wider version of the ski". Well, there must be something I don't get here since the specs are the same as the first model. According to the NA distributor, he said to me last year that "The XCD GT will be a more downhill-oriented version compared to the previous one. "

It's kind of sad to see that they refused to sacrifice a pair for demo... Guess they have a thing or two to learn about marketing and promotion.

OAC, if you ever change your mind, please send me a pair so I can tell the world... :lol:
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:33 pm

LoveJohnny wrote:I had the chance to see the new / upcoming OAC XCD GT UC here last winter... I was very excited about it...

According to Miika at OAC, it's a "wider version of the ski". Well, there must be something I don't get here since the specs are the same as the first model. According to the NA distributor, he said to me last year that "The XCD GT will be a more downhill-oriented version compared to the previous one. "

It's kind of sad to see that they refused to sacrifice a pair for demo... Guess they have a thing or two to learn about marketing and promotion.
Unfortunate that they wouldn't part with a pair for you to demo [emoji1304] Would love to hear some unbiased, real world feedback on these.

As far as the the question of the difference between the first model vs. the new "GT" version....

OAC XCD 160: Width - 85-72-80mm
OAC XCD 160 GT UC: Width - 116-86-116mm

If MEC is correct with the specs of the later, I'd say the difference is pretty pronounced.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:57 am

Young Satchel wrote: OAC XCD 160 GT UC: Width - 116-86-116mm
Oh! my bad, didn't see this... This is definitely the one I have seen, the wider one. I couldn't match a 85-72-80 profile with what I remember from the skis... From what I recall, they had different graphics from the actual MEC picture too... But hey, I might be wrong, my memory is over saturated with useless stuff... 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."