Madshus Glittertind Wax vs Asnes Amundsen

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Madshus Glittertind Wax vs Asnes Amundsen

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:38 pm

The climate in the Rockies and in the interior plateaus is dry- deep, dry powder everywhere! It can be so deep, and fluffy it is hard to believe. And with that dry climate comes tons of sun- wonderful.

The snow in the northern Columbia mountains is so abundant it is insane. The western slopes of the Columbias are ever-wet, perhumid- at low elevation it is rainforest- at high elevation some of the highest snowfalls/snow packs in the world.

As you mention these ranges extend down into the US

I lived, worked and skied in the BC interior from 1996-1999. Have not skied out there since.

It is great country and snow to ski in... but the backcountry skiing in the Northeast thrills me just as much:
- the Adirondacks
- the Green Mtns
- the White Mtns
- the Laurentians
- the Choc-Chocs
- the highlands of Maine, NB and Cape Breton
- the Long Range Mtns
- the open hardwood ridges and the trails through the softwood flats

Some day- I want to plan a ski expedition in the Torngats! It is on my bucket list!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:47 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Some day- I want to plan a ski expedition in the Torngats! It is on my bucket list!
PFFFF Garbage

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/nl/tornga ... media.aspx

:o :o :o

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:53 pm

WOW - I've never even heard of that place. Those are some real mountains! And polar bears! Yikes. Look out for bears! Those aren't the troublesome but not dangerous black ones we have around here.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:01 am

Garbage?...thanks man.

The Torngats is likely something that will always be beyond my reach- at least financially- I can't even imagine how much it costs to go up there.

I worked for the federal forest service for a few years- have met a few people that have been up there for field work. At a different time in my life- I would have done whatever it takes to get on that field crew!

Anyway you'd be able to ski there into the summer- for sure- and at 2am in broad daylight if you want!

Yeah- looking over your shoulder to see if there's a polar bear stalking you might produce some anxiety!

Anyway it is one of the many places that I dream about going to!

My wife dreams of owning a helicopter- she says if that ever happens- she'll fly me up there.

Back to your comments- skiing in the western mountains and montane plateaus is incredible. You should go- we all should at least once! I would very much like to go out for a few trips in the future. At this point in my life it's practically impossible to get very far away from my doorstep.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:31 am

Sarcasm. I think I watched that video three times. I told my wife we're moving to Hebron, just south, then realized upon closer examination that Hebron doesn't really exist in any kind of viable way.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:30 pm

we've got tons of nice touring trails like the Sourdough in the northeast mountains, but CO has the wider spaced trees and multitude of open bowls we don't have. there's lots of stuff to do around here though - I've always wanted to hit Acadia in Maine with good snow. The carriage trails would be a ski-touring theme park in the winter, there is some open alpine terrain too
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:07 pm

I hit Acadia last winter. We had one great day on the carriage roads, really awesome skiing. I was on the Madshus and we stayed on the roads and made great mileage. The next day a coastal storm rolled in spitting wet snow. We planned on skiing the auto-road up Cadillac to the summit, but the winds were howling. I swapped into the 78s (The snow was wet and I don't like Klister) and we hit the ocean perimeter road instead, and had a great ski along the water. Even some skiing on the beach! That's when I decided I needed the E99s.

If you can get the snow right, it's great skiing. There were some guys ATing up on the higher bald summits the first day, first tracks, thigh deep, all the way down. Apparently, those conditions are not super common. I was glad someone was taking advantage!

I love skiing

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:20 pm

I have been to Acadia many times...only skied there once when I was a kid (8 I think? 1980?) with my family.

Don't remember the details- but it was of many heavenly family Nordic skiing trips that my parents used to take us on.

ME too- I love skiing.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:15 pm

Woodserson wrote: If you can get the snow right, it's great skiing. There were some guys ATing up on the higher bald summits the first day, first tracks, thigh deep, all the way down. Apparently, those conditions are not super common. I was glad someone was taking advantage!

I love skiing
wow, sounds cool, the Goodman book has details about skiing the snowfields on Sargent Mtn up there. Some years the coast gets pounded by snow. I remember hiking and biking around and thinking how great it would be to ski there. Skiing up & down the Cadillac mtn. road would be a good challenge. It would be fun to experience the park without the summer crowds.

the weather over the holidays is going to be grim - we'll have to hope for a better January
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

snow-mark

Post by snow-mark » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:44 am

I ended up going with the Glittertinds. The Gamme 54s interest me but I have a hard time justifying the additional cost.

Neptune doesn't carry the wax version, nor does anybody else around here. So I ordered them from Boulder Nordic Sport for $230. Will have a Voile Mountaineer installed on them. Should be here next week.

The snow is piling up here. I enjoyed some nice powder skiing in the trees on Sunday. I hear some parts of Vermont are finally getting snow (my sister lives near White River Junction).