An NNNBC Boot With A Removable Liner

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

An NNNBC Boot With A Removable Liner

Post by bgregoire » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:01 pm

Last edited by bgregoire on Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

bgregoire

Re: REVOLUTION! An NNNBC Boot With A Removable Liner

Post by bgregoire » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:57 pm

Well, I guess I'm the only one here who likes ski camping with NNN BC bindings, or do none of ya have sweaty feet?
Last edited by bgregoire on Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:07 pm

Take note I have very sweaty feet.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:16 pm

I too have sweaty feet. Having breathable boots, and/or a removable liner is a big deal.

These boots are quite something. I wonder how supportive they are?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:21 am

Judging books by their covers, those LOOK like good leather boots but doesn't the liner look a little chintzy? I would guess that I would have that liner all twisted and balled up and ruined in just a few outings with my sweaty and destructive feet.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:49 am

connyro wrote:Judging books by their covers, those LOOK like good leather boots but doesn't the liner look a little chintzy? I would guess that I would have that liner all twisted and balled up and ruined in just a few outings with my sweaty and destructive feet.
Dunno,

their 75 version has won the praise of UTE.NO:

http://www.utemagasinet.no/Utstyr/Sko-deg

Lundhags generally know what they are doing in the boot department. Their wool liners are of quite high density and reinforced. I can let you know what I think went after I get to try them on during the holidays!

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:21 pm

connyro wrote:Judging books by their covers, those LOOK like good leather boots but doesn't the liner look a little chintzy? I would guess that I would have that liner all twisted and balled up and ruined in just a few outings with my sweaty and destructive feet.
Tried on a pair today. You are right Canna, the liner does look and feel a little flimsy. Plus, they fold right on the top of the toes, squishing the plastic boot against them. Plus, not wide enough to accomodate my 6th toe. these boots should not stretch as the bottom is some heavy duty plastic or rubber. unfortunaly, i pass.

tried the crispi stetind and stetind anniversary. also the alpina 1600. great NNN BC boots, as good as the Alfa Advance, just a tad less wide.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:10 pm

so you're in Sweden? cool! These Lundhags are extremely nice, I tried on the previous version, they were fairly wide:

http://www.lundhags.se/product-2/17359/tour_skate_boot
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:20 pm

bgregoire wrote: tried the crispi stetind and stetind anniversary. also the alpina 1600. great NNN BC boots, as good as the Alfa Advance, just a tad less wide.
Which Alfa are you comparing to- the Quest Advance? I was under the impression that the Alpina BC1600 had a softer flex than the Alaska...

I assumed that the sole flex of the Quest Advance was at least as stiff as the Alaska and the Stetind...

If the BC1600 is in the same league as these boots- it is one hell of a good deal!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire

uest

Post by bgregoire » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:20 pm

lilcliffy wrote: Which Alfa are you comparing to- the Quest Advance? I was under the impression that the Alpina BC1600 had a softer flex than the Alaska...

I assumed that the sole flex of the Quest Advance was at least as stiff as the Alaska and the Stetind...

If the BC1600 is in the same league as these boots- it is one hell of a good deal!
I was comparing those boots to the Alfa Quest Advance NNN BC. Just like the Alaskas, the 75mm Alfa version is actually softer than the NNNBC.

Actually, aside from Norwegian stichted boots and Plastic ones, all the newer glued on 75mm vibram soles seem to be of the same relatively soft flex. Im assuming that as there is no stitch, they have a hard time gluing a stiffer inner sole in these types of boots.

As for NNNBC Sole Stiffness, I have indeed seen some differences, but only really 2 categories.

Alpina Alaska, Fischer BCX 6, Fischer Offtrack 5 BC Alfa Quest Advance are of the stiffer sort. I would say the Alpina 1600 is also of this type.

Alpina 1550 and Fischer Offtrack 3 BC and Alfa Quest Core are of the softer sort.

Having used both types, id say the softer types end up squishing my toes a little on long trips. I have not found a big difference in support or control of ski though, keeping in mind i use NNN BC for fast touring annd multi day hut to hut trips.