Fischer E-109 vs. Asnes Ingstad

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Fischer E-109 vs. Asnes Ingstad

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:29 am

athabascae wrote: I am most impressed with the kick and glide performance of the Ingstads.
This is good news. I haven't managed to mount and wax mine yet!

Tom- what do you think of the Alaska NNNBC?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:35 am

Thanks for the feedback Tom. Despite what you may think, it's helpful to me! I've been sickest I have been in a couple years, can't do anything really... skiing is long done here. I'm living vicariously through you guys! Most of all I'm really anxious to take these skis for a burn. I knew it would be a hard summer if I bought them at the end of the season.

Also interested how you like the Alaska.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:10 pm

Tom which ligament? MCL? So I'm not the only walking wounded around here! Good luck with it, I"m sure you'll be back to normal soon.

I was told to rest and of course I skied and F***'d myself up worse! that's how it goes :roll:

The Ingstads sound awesome, must be a very light ski w/ the NNNBC on there. I would be torn b/w 200's and 210. I'm sure the 210 would float better. But 200's would be quick turners on the downhill. I've got the dog version in 200, will be trying them next year w/ 3-pin.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

athabascae
Favorite Skis: Asnes MR48; Asnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Alpina Traverse BC; Alpina Alaska BC

Post by athabascae » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:29 pm

Mike, sorry to hear your sick. Hope you are feeling better soon. No need to live vicariously - move to Whitehorse, Yukon or Anchorage, Alaska. The potential for XC, BC/XCD, or AT skiing is endless - lasting until May if move into the alpine in the spring. Paddling, hiking/backpacking, cycling, as well as hunting, fishing, or wildlife watching opportunities are world class. For example, check out the single track mountain biking in the Yukon - great stuff. I mention this because you've mentioned thinking about relocating previously. There are probably work opportunities for teachers or engineers up here too, and the pay is likely going to be good once you find something.

Canna, a have a partial tear of my ACL and meniscus. Not enough to warrant reconstructive surgery, but I need to take it easy for a while, which I am trying to do. Sorry to hear about your MCL. Is it still giving you problems or are you back to normal? If so, how long did it take? I too was torn between the 200 and 210, bit I'm happy with the 200.

Tom
Last edited by athabascae on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

athabascae

Post by athabascae » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:49 pm

I absolutely love the Alpina Alaskas, like many others here. Admittedly, I was focused on Crispi or Alfa boots - which would have cost substantially more $$$. And, I was thinking that I would need seperate boots for my e89/Voss class ski and another pair for my e109/eon class ski. Turns out the Alaksa work perfectly with both narrow and mid-width skis, and essentially are a one boot solution to my modest ski quiver. (I do have an old pair of leather Merrell boots as backups that I got for super cheap).

Like others have said here, I find Alaskas are super comfortable, supportive and warm. They are fantastic kick and glide boots, despite being so tall. As a bonus, I bought mine from MEC and they were a bargain compared to Crispi or Alfa boots, particularly for us Canadians.

I was not at all keen on them being red, but I loved the colour as soon as I opened the box. Red makes them faster.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:53 pm

I passed on the nnnbc gear 25 years ago wanting a more verstile quiver(all 3pin) and I never tried on a pair of boots that fit. I don't have any regrets but i am begining to see the light(pun intended), in fact I think the lightbulb just went off. While I have been saying I don't tour much slower in my heavy xcd (T2s and vectors) than my light xcd (leather boots with skinny skis) I see there is a bigger difference between most nnnbc and my current light gear. While I've always maintained I could and have done 15 to 20 mile tours in my gear it is starting to sound more appealing on nnnbc stuff. But then I could also get a lighter 3 pin boot also.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:50 am

You could definitely save some weight. Still could stick with 3 pin though if you like, the weight difference between NNN and 3 pin boots + bindings is grams.

Trick is finding a good, comfy boot. Lots of good, light skis out there... Only ones I ever found a little grabby like you say were my waxless Glittertinds, and you can get them in a wax version to avoid that.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:05 am

athabascae wrote:Mike, sorry to hear your sick. Hope you are feeling better soon. No need to live vicariously - move to Whitehorse, Yukon or Anchorage, Alaska. The potential for XC, BC/XCD, or AT skiing is endless - lasting until May if move into the alpine in the spring. Paddling, hiking/backpacking, cycling, as well as hunting, fishing, or wildlife watching opportunities are world class. For example, check out the single track mountain biking in the Yukon - great stuff. I mention this because you've mentioned thinking about relocating previously. There are probably work opportunities for teachers or engineers up here too, and the pay is likely going to be good once you find something.
Thanks man, you too, in regards to your knee!

We've thought about moving but also maybe investing in our mountains here i.e. getting some land. I know the reality of living in our mountains here in NY (as I once did), which are no where near as remote and wild as up there, but my wife does not. I'm not sure she'd enjoy it year round. She's a lot more social than I am. :lol: We may look into the cabin in the mountains to spend as much time as possible, but also maintaining a residence in the flatlands, either central NY or south of Montreal to retreat to when we crave the easier life. This is all more of a long term thing though, but I which direction I do will dictate our future.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:28 pm

As an update to this very lengthy- but totally awesome- thread:

I have bought both the Asnes Combat Nato and the current E-109 (I got some seriously sweet summer clearance deals on both skis and bindings- as well as some extra contract work :oops: ).

I plan on the following test this winter on a variety of snow and terrain conditions:
• 210cm Asnes Combat Nato with mohair skin-lock (60mm mohair)
• 205cm Fischer E-109 tour xtralite with easy-skin (50mm mohair mix)
• 205cm Fischer E-109 crown xtralite
• 205cm Madshus Eon wax
• 205cm Madshus Eon omnitrack

Would be cool to add the S-Bounds to the test as well- but they don't make the 199cm S-78/Traverse 78 anymore do they?

Would also be cool to have a 35mm skin-lock and 35mm easy-skin for a more direct comparison in terms of grip/glide...

My test will focus on trying to find my own personal sweet spot: a true balance between xcountry and downhill skiing- on highly variable terrain/cover, and variable snow/temperature conditions.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

athabascae

Post by athabascae » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:41 pm

Your comparisons will be interesting, for sure.

I have the 60 mm nylon kicker skins for 200 cm Asnes Ingstads, and they are good for big climbs but offer no glide. I want to add a pair of 35 mm mohair kicker skins for less imposing terrain, but tough-to-wax conditions.

Tom