Fischer E-109 vs. Asnes Ingstad

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

Re: Fischer E-109 vs. Asnes Ingstad

Post by MikeK » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:53 pm

Yeah buying from Europe can be a good deal. Shipping is high but since we don't have to pay the VAT, it works out to be cheaper sometimes. It was cheaper for me to buy Svartisens from France than from Fey Bros in the US.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:45 am

athabascae wrote: Apparently, this retailer in Germany ships Asnes skis to North America - https://www.sportalbert.de/

Its expensive for sure (~$120 CAD to ship skis to Canada); however, they have stock and when I work out the exchange and factor in shipping I can get a pair of Asnes and NNN BC binding (at a package price, and minus the VAT) for a bit cheaper than the skis alone shipped from the Asnes dealer in Calgary.
Thanks very much for this Tom- more stuff to drool over- did you figure out what the duty would be? And I am assuming that GST/HST applies?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

athabascae
Favorite Skis: Asnes MR48; Asnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Alpina Traverse BC; Alpina Alaska BC

Post by athabascae » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:56 pm

Yeah taxes still apply, but they do so also if purchased in your home province or territory.

From what I can tell, duty on skis (if you claim they are exercise equipment) is pretty light - around 5%, so it seems - but don't quote me on that. Duty on boots is another matter, about 20% :o

athabascae

Post by athabascae » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:17 am

My Ingstads arrived today.

I can't ski them for a bit yet because I need to decide on a binding system (super teles or NNN BC magnums???), and my knee is currently a bit busted. I wanted to see the skis before I decide, because I think the width is such that they could easily go either way. My mind says NNN BC for a number of reasons, but I really, really want to put a nice burly super tele on them and use Antarcticas.... I'll probably go NNN BC.

So, unfortunately, it will be a while before I can report back my on the snow impressions. Sorry.

I can say, however, that all the comments by Johnny about the apparent quality of the Skog ski seem to apply to the Ingstad as well. These seem like especially nicely made skis. The quality and durability seem high. I'm quite impressed and I expect to get many years of enjoyment out of them.

I'll also admit that I wasn't keen on the grey man on the skis; however, he's not nearly as "in your face" as I thought he would be. Its more subtle and its not an issue with me at all. Instead, I feel like I'll be traveling through some wilderness areas with a real old-time, tough-as-nails Norwegian explorer along for the ride (there is even a Yukon mountain that I do some work near that is called Mount Nansen, after the explorer, not the ski!).

Final note is that the online purchase with the Asnes dealer in Montreal was super smooth. They were great.

Tom

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:39 pm

nice purchase - what length did you choose?

here's a plug for Super Tele:

https://www.oslosportslager.no/produkt/ ... 27232.aspx

>>>Light, robust and wide fjellski with stålkant, 22 mm innsving and good bucks/smear pocket. Skias properties for long walks combines the need and great bend properties. Developed in cooperation with the armed forces, in terms of both go and run properties. Combat-model is used today by the Norwegian armed forces, in its more special troops also in other countries. Skis ' has been prepared for the short o cast off system, the trap be purchased fixed and is available in 35, 45 and 60 mm width.
To this we recommend skis ' 75 mm binding and boot.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

athabascae

Post by athabascae » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:01 pm

Thanks. I got them in 200 cm, which is what Asnes recommends for my weight (195 lbs) and it was all I could find. I do think that 210s may have been too much ski for me - wish they made 205...

Asnes says either NNN BC or 75 for the Ingstad, and Fischer recommends NNN BC for their e109, which seems similar to the Ingstad. Lots of folks appear to use either on similar sized eons....

I've used both mountaineer/super tele 3 pins and NNN/NNN-BC and I like both.

Thing is I like the 3 pin bindings alot more than the NNN-BC binding, but the boots for NNN-BC seem to be better (and more available) than those currently available for 3 pins.... So, I'm leaning more toward NNN-BC

Would it be an issue to try one system (say 3 pins) and later switch to NNN-BC if I choose to go that route - I already have both systems so there is no cost to try both. I've never switched systems on the same ski, and I don't want my nice new skis to look like swiss cheese ...

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:21 pm

Tom,

I don't know if you've ever had your hands on an Eon, but if you have, how is the flex of the Ingstad compared to them?

I ski mine at 195 with NNN-BC and my Alaskas, and I don't feel compromised. In fact those are the ski's I'll use this weekend. Mostly just mellow touring, but off-track and in the mountains. Not ideal for my super skinnies.

I finally got my rear in gear and mounted my wifes Eons. Hers are 195 too and mounted with Rotte Super Teles. She'll be skiing them with her Svartisens.

I've never skied Eons with pins so I might toss them on with my Svartis and see how much different they feel.

I'm still in frame of mind/skill level that I feel pins give me more control provided the boot is adequate. I love the feel of NNN-BC though for striding. I feel a lot better on it now that I've used it more on hills, but I still really need to focus really hard on what I'm doing. I make similar mistakes on pins though, but I feel I can recover easier. Most of my focus is keeping the BOF flat on the rear ski. If you do that, the ridges stay engaged and you'll never get the tip-toe feeling.

I ski slightly more aggressive with NNN-BC. I stride into stuff and commit because I can't afford twist the ski as hard with the bindings.

I think you'll get used to either.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:05 pm

MikeK wrote: Most of my focus is keeping the BOF flat on the rear ski. If you do that, the ridges stay engaged and you'll never get the tip-toe feeling.
It’s interesting you say this…

Concentrating on weighting that rear foot- with the BOF- is critical with the telemark.

In my experience the issue of not ending up on your toes- on the rear foot- is inherently a potential issue with any xcountry binding- without powerful binding resistance.

In a downhill context- this is precisely why I don’t like the new generation of light 3-pin boots- there is so little resistance in the sole-flex and duckbill that you get no mechanical advantage to produce downward force into the ski.

For example my friend has the Alaska 75mm with some of the same skis as I do (same lengths as well). When I tried the Alaska 75 I found I had WAY less BOF-control on my trailing ski- and I was WAY more prone to overextending up on to my “tippy-toes”- because of the lack of sole/binding resistance.

In comparison, the NNN-BC Alaska has way more sole/binding resistance- resulting in much greater BOF-control on the trailing ski.

Now obviously a 75mm-3-pin boot can have as much or more resistance than NNN-BC- but it requires a much stiffer sole/duckbill flex than what these new generation 3-pin boots have…

That sole/binding resistance effects Nordic “kick” as well…but that’s another story…for another space.
3pin resistance 01.jpg
NNNBC  binding resistance 01.jpg

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:09 pm

Tom- any preliminary thoughts on the flex-camber of the Ingstad?

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:23 pm

Might be the stiffer sole of the NNN boots I'm using. Maybe I'm just feeling like I need to concentrate more to keep it flexed and keep my weight in the right spot.

I get you. Technically the NNN is more active. I can't really feel it though.

Yes, very interested in the Ingstad flex. Graphs preferred :ugeek: