Sporten: a new player on the nordic backcountry ski scene

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Sporten: a new player on the nordic backcountry ski scen

Post by bgregoire » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:12 pm

Oh, and they had these for sale too!

http://www.sporten.cz/eng/catalog/nordi ... oduct.html

Anyone up for a hunt? :)
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:12 pm

Oh, and they had these for sale too!

http://www.sporten.cz/eng/catalog/nordi ... oduct.html

Anyone up for a hunt? :)
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:43 pm

MikeK wrote:
I think this. Winter backpacking or expeds. Shorter length and increased width for maneuverability and stability I'd assume.
To be more precise, why strong camber, larger width AND pronounced sidecut? Straighter skis with strong camber seems ok for k&g and touring in powder, but one doesn't need that kind of sidecut (like Rossis BC90)—certainly not for tracking stability. I think the brand wants to hit as many market as possible, hence making (what seems to me like) a hum, hum stupid ski...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:26 am

Well it's either the product of intelligent design...or it's just another example of the current dogma: "you need them short for easy turnin".

The wide and short part with a lot of camber may be intended to produce an expedition, xcountry ski for forest cover. Many of the traditional Fennoscandian expedition skis are designed for open tundra/alpine/polar conditions- and therefore the skis are very long.

The Finns traditionally make two kinds of "forest skis" though:
- VERY long (up to 300cm) skis for cruising on woods trails
- short and fat for bushwhacking (i.e. the Eurasian "ski-shoe")

These could be an attempt to blend the two? The stiffness and camber is obviously designed for carrying/pulling weight.

The sidecut is clearly to make them "easy-turning"- but they don't have crazy sidecut- and it's not parabolic- the tail only has 10mm of sidecut.

For the intended use I would rather have more width underfoot with a rockered tip for early tip rise and turn initiation.

Are they rockered in the tip?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

DPO777
Ski style: Cross Country, BackCountry, Out the back door Country
Favorite Skis: Karhu XCD GTs, refurbished wood top unknown skis from the 80s bought during an Alberta Snowmageddon
Favorite boots: Made in Italy 75 mil 3-Pin Alico leather boots. Put to rest Crispi leather boots.
Occupation: Retired now upgrading older ski stuff to more modern technology

Re: Sporten: a new player on the nordic backcountry ski scene

Post by DPO777 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:29 pm

Hi

They may seem like a new player on the retail North America scene but apparently made in a long standing factory in Czech.

Doing some digging I have come up with some interesting info revealing that currently all the Asnes skis are made in the same factory as the Sporten line.

European fabrication – Czechia

Today, Asnes produces all their skis in an excellent fabrication facility in the Czech Republic. The factory was formerly called Sporten. It still produces skis under this brand today. The factory’s owners bought the Kastle brand in 2019 and changed the place’s name.

With access to technology that other ski plants don’t, the factory can produce most things in-house. More, they always hold a lot of fabrication material; we buy it together in advance, so that we can quickly prototype new skis and scale production at any time. The control systems, quality assurance and the careful selection of materials are overseen by our production manager – the third generation of the Asnes family engaged in the production of skis bearing that name.

The factory produces skis for many of the most well-known and established ski brands in the world. The work they do for us is second to none.

Included in the list of skis currently manufactured in the old Sporten/Kastle factory is the Sporten line and the Alpina line. So when you are looking at the Sporten and Alpina Backcountry lineup they are basically the same ski give or take labeling etc.

https://www.sporten.cz/en/products/nord ... ordic-skis

https://www.alpinasports.com/us/nordic/ ... -pm-SM5701

I would think these Sporten skis are a really good buy for a solid reliable non-flashy on high performance speed backcountry/track ski.

In the regions I think these Sporten/Alpina skis would be suited well for off track on the rolling flats and through the bush trails.

Some of the Sportens have gone on Arctic expeditions and some of their performance models have won races.

They have an interesting new 64mm ski with an integrated skin that is very reasonably priced to replace or perhaps you can make your own replacements out of cheaper skin rolls.

They may be good for days that you just want to get up and hit the trails for a few hours without messing with the what to wear wax of the hour dilemma.

Think they have a bit of a cool understated ready to go to work look.

Just have to decide if I should add to my collection or not...

https://www.sporten.cz/en/products/124-explorer-skin