East Coast S Bound advice

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: East Coast S Bound advice

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:30 am

We've got 20+cm in the forecast for today...but it rained all night...we should have at least a couple feet of base by now.

Just checked out the ORS website- they have the full comp of all the Madshus XCDs- and all the sizes. Not carrying the waxable base Eon though. XGear still has a few leftover waxable Eons. If anything is going to be dropped, it will probably be the waxable base. Glad I bought one- been wanting one for years since my old Karhus broke.

Asnes may end up being the only manufacturer making xcountry-telemark skis (with flotation widths)- with waxable bases.

The S-Bounds are awesome skis- but competition is a good thing.

I guess Rossi is not going anywhere. The addition of rocker to Rossi's wider backcountry lineup probably puts them in good current XCD company. Haven't tried any of the new models yet- should have improved turn initiation.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:15 am

lilcliffy wrote: The S-Bounds are awesome skis- but competition is a good thing.
And I don't think the S Bounds are for everyone...

paul kalac

Post by paul kalac » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:39 pm

Woodserson wrote:I'm having a tough time deciding.

Let's say you could have any two pairs of the pre-2016 Fischer S-Bounds-- the 78, 88, 98, 112.

This season I can supplement my quiver with one S Bound. I already have the 78's. I can easily get the 88 and the 112, and sell the 78's, or keep the 78's and get the 98's. Either option is completely do-able, except the 98's will probably work well with my boots I have now and I won't have to sell the 78's. I want good ski versatility, which is the primary goal.

Skiing East Coast--- rolling terrain, forest roads, old ski trails, closed mountain auto roads, White Mountain Nat'l Forest land, bushwacking, and forays to downhill mountains like Mt. Cardigan with CCC downhill trails (no lifts), other treeless summits, Jackrabbit Trail, etc.

Here are the dimensions
78-61-69
88-68-78 (classic dimensions, a little more turn than the 78 but not much)
98-69-88 (same waist at the 88's, more sidecut)
112-78-95 (like my old alpine midfats)

I may need to up the bootage on the 112's, I'm rocking the Rossi BCX 6 75mm, might be a little squirrely. Either an Alaska or a Ross BCX 12. 3 pin 75mm on each of them.

Feel free to use Madshus analogies if you would like--
EPOCH for the 98
ANNUM for the 112
Open your mind and widen the gap -- 68 tips for touring/turns, then the 98's for turn oriented trips. I love my 78 snowbounds, but 68 is light and fast and challenging for turns which is what keeps me coming back.