Fischer 2015-2016 product line-up???

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Fischer 2015-2016 product line-up???

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:35 am

Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to handle and inspect- let alone test- the recent Asnes skis.

I have admired Asnes skis my whole life- I have older friends that have a few older models in their sheds. The only Asnes skis I have tested are from before the company's reboot.

I have done a fair bit of reading about them- and have spoken to ski techs in a couple of shops that carry them.

Your assessment of them- in comparison with Fischer- seems bang-on to me.

The Storetind seems to be the bridge between the Ingstad and Asnes' alpine touring/big mountain telemark skis. The intent of the Storetind seems similar to the wider S-Bounds- Nordic touring with an emphasis on climbing and turning.

If I were to be able to afford it right now- I would probably buy a 210cm Ingstad.

I will hopefully grab a 205cm waxable E-109 on clearance one of these springs.

I am very familiar with the older Karhu 10th Mtn you speak of. My friend has a pair- I have skied on them a number of times. They are a dream for long-distance K&G touring in fresh snow, with decent downhill performance. They have more camber than my current Eons. Karhu seemed to lose this niche of flex, and cruising speed as their XCD skis got fatter. And of course they also gradually dropped their waxable bases. I would think that the K&G performance is still very strong on current Karhus that are made in Finland.

The 10th Mtns you speak of have very similar specs to an old (1970s) pair of Karhu backcountry skis, that I inherited from my father (can't remember the model- the decals on the top sheet were worn off by the time they eventually broke several years ago). They were wood-cored, steel-edged, cambered, soft-tipped, long, and fast. The wax absorption after decades of good maintenance was incredible. They were a dream ski for touring in fresh snow- I have not managed to truly replace them yet.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:39 am

By the way- Neptune Mountaineering has the Asnes Sondre on for $230USD.

Similar specs to the current E-99 or Glittertind. No idea about the camber and flex of the Sondre. Supposedly it is softer than the Amundsen, but that doesn't tell me much- most backcountry skis ever made are softer than the Amundsen!

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:14 am

Heh, LC, will try to beat you to a 200 109....Couldn't use them much last year as the powder was mostly bottomless, cold, and slow.....Needed wider or longer....but in a normal year with consolidated powder the 109 is really a fast accelerator and easily turned....TM

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:12 am

Teleman- you're on! I will let you when I find the E-109 at a reasonable price...

Man- they are expensive.

But- the Ingstad is even more expensive!

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:02 am

Thinking LC that the 109's are well crafted.....just guessing, they seem to have strength or something....Remember getting the first set of e99 air core....Teleking looks at them...flexes them....says these will not hold up...We skied Camels Hump and he hadn't paid me yet for the skis....(Didn't want him whining about me having better skies than him). All four skis were broken tip to tail right down the bottom....He's an engineer....Guess it was worth a shot cause Fischer sent us a new set for the next three years as we toasted those skis.....TM

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:48 am

Teleman wrote:Thinking LC that the 109's are well crafted.....just guessing, they seem to have strength or something....Remember getting the first set of e99 air core....Teleking looks at them...flexes them....says these will not hold up...We skied Camels Hump and he hadn't paid me yet for the skis....(Didn't want him whining about me having better skies than him). All four skis were broken tip to tail right down the bottom....He's an engineer....Guess it was worth a shot cause Fischer sent us a new set for the next three years as we toasted those skis.....TM
Lemme get this straight: you repetitively profess that e-99s and e-109s are the best skis for touring for turns yet you habitually break them? I suggest you try a more appropriate ski for your outings so that you don't break them all the time.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:25 am

connyro wrote:Lemme get this straight: you repetitively profess that e-99s and e-109s are the best skis for touring for turns yet you habitually break them? I suggest you try a more appropriate ski for your outings so that you don't break them all the time.
It's not cauz it can break that it ain't fun!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

connyro

Post by connyro » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:47 am

Haha! Good point. It IS fun sometimes to flail around on inappropriate gear, like charging a downhill/freeride trail on a rigid bike instead of on a full suspension pig.

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:55 am

Conman, I accept that you ski the steepest, deepest, most gnarly lines on the best equipment....Good for you...There are others out there who do the same lines in deeper snow with less....Camels Hump has 2,500 verts of wonderful skiing....If you do like we have done you can get about 3700 verts of wild skiing....If we floundered like you in your ignorance keep on saying I wouldn't be alive to write about it...Those skis the e99 wood core were one of many incarnations of the best selling ski in history and continues as the best selling ski in history....We got a huge laugh that we could torque the skis on floppy leathers and pins to crush them....As some of you have said it's the skier and a good skier can ski anything....Vectors force you into semi parallel.....Not interested....They are dogs on the way up....they turn well on the down.....Different kinds of skiers don't necessarily cross the fall line in a turn....Some play with the fall line while arcing but heading them down most of the time....Not turning in fear of speed or trees like some....My advise Con-man is open your eyes and try to see a different kind of ski motion....one that works here on the very steep and often wicked deep....Don't believe look at the pictures on this site and drool....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:49 am

Now, now Teleman. Conny may have conned Ron, but he's provided a lot of helpful, intelligent input to people using this forum, so I don't think it's fair to call him con man.

We all know your bit, and while it's fine to ski how you want, to ignore the physics of the situation is a little silly. It's clear you want to ski with your heart instead of your head, and that's cool... but be cool and respect other's experience.