Question on binding mount location

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
aeronca7ccm

Question on binding mount location

Post by aeronca7ccm » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:22 pm

Hello to the forum, I have a used pair of Karhu kodiak's. The original mounting was done on boot midsole center with 7TM's tours, I am going to use these on another ski. The boot midsole was placed at the alpine boot/tour line.

I have another pair of 7TM's non-tour version that I am putting back on. But now see the 3 telemark lines, corresponding to the boot sizes, 31 - 29, 28.5-25.5, and 25.5-23.0.

My question is where should these be mounted? Does the telemark lines show the location for the 3 pin line of the boots? If so that puts the boot very far back from the first mount. I'm a 28.5 boot.

I have been skiing these mounted at the alpine boot line for a season. I'm a new tele skier so I have no experience to draw from.

Thanks

Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Re: Question on binding mount location

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:36 am

I wouldn't bother... I would mount boot center on centre mark (Alpine)... I do that to all my skis. If it doesn't feel right, I move the binding a bit further or aft... Takes a little time to get use to it but you will see an improvement at the end of your turn...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:43 am

Welcome to TTT!

You are correct, one of the three lines should be aligned with your pins depending on your boot size.

Tele bindings mounting is not an exact science. It's always a matter of taste, trial and error. Personally, I would stick to Karhu's recommendation: pins aligned on one of the 3 lines on your skis. They built the ski, they know where the best balance point is for both tele and alpine. 8-)

I always mounted all my Karhus according to their pin lines, and I wouldn't have it any other way...

But yeah, like Rod said, feel free to experiment... It depends on your body, your ski /boots size, your technique etc... Mounting a bit forward will make the ski easier to turn, good if you're carving on hard pack... While mounting aft will sometimes give you more stability, especially if you plan to ski mostly powder with your Kodiaks...

Have fun!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Simon_LeLoup

Post by Simon_LeLoup » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:40 pm

Hey TeleTalkers,

Looks like I've fallen behind on a couple of really interesting threads... MikeK you are not alone, I too am a cube dweller who yearns for something different... and then there is the ski tripping thread that interests me as well... they are calling for some rain this weekend so maybe I'll take some time to post a couple replies in each of those.

For now, however, regarding the Karhu Kodiaks, I don't have much technical advice to offer. All I want to say is that I also have this ski, was my first telemark ski when getting into it, and I have to say it's great! Good choice, especially if you got the same deal I did from Elvistheskiman on ebay.

I had some binding issues which led to what you see in the attached picture, however, maybe the placement of the holes will help you? When skiing, the balance and positioning felt right. The ski tech was able to drill some new holes, just slightly offset from the old (not sure in which direction they were shifted), and we were able to salvage the skis. With the shifted position, it still feels right.

Basically, I'm not offering much advice, just bonding on the fact that we have the same skis, and taking the opportunity to share this picture. Cheers. :)
photo 3.JPG

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:56 pm

Simon_LeLoup wrote:Hey TeleTalkers,

Looks like I've fallen behind on a couple of really interesting threads... MikeK you are not alone, I too am a cube dweller who yearns for something different...
I think my wife is worried I am going to just disappear one day and never come back... that's not the case though. I have a well formulated plan which I've been working on for years. The technology exists and is cheap enough now to make it happen, I'll outline some of it on the other thread.

But that thread is not about me. It's about all of us, and what our 10 year plan might be. Please contribute, I've learned most of what I'll be using from other's experiences, and I hope you'll learn something too. Isn't really the point of these forums? To share info and learn from other's successes and failures?

And as far as the bindings, I agree exactly with what Johnny said. I don't know enough about resort and dh telemarking to say though. I typically use the pin line marks or measure from chord center. It works well enough for plunking around in the woods.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:35 am

Hey Simon when you carpet test skis you're not supposed to do it on the steps. :lol:

If you are off by a cm on the mount it won't make much difference imo.

dschane

Post by dschane » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:06 pm

The placement of the ripped out binding looks like it was mounted with the pin line on one of those tele lines, which is a fine way to go. And I agree with lowangle al that a slight adjustment won't be noticeable, though I personally would have re-used the old holes with nylon tap inserts -- cheap and bomber.

aeronca7ccm

Post by aeronca7ccm » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:27 am

Hey, thanks for the responses. Much appreciated. I think I will mount the new bindings on the pin lines for my boot size and see how it goes. I'm going to use quiver killers inserts to fill the unused holes and the new mounts. Has anyone used them here and have any advice or insight on installing them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk