New Members?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

New Members?

Post by MikeK » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:58 am

Hey!

How's it going? I see you joining the forum - you know if you just want to lurk you don't need to join, so if you are a member, post it up!

satsuma

Re: New Members?

Post by satsuma » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:00 pm

I don't know if this was a reference at all to me, but I registered a year ago to post a for sale/giveaway.

I was also on the old forum. I don't post much about telemark skiing since my only competence and primary interest at present is in cross-country skiing (not racing). However, I have recently moved from Louisiana, where it was obviously difficult to find time to ski, to Eastern Washington State. Also, I have recently retired(maybe) :D This should give me more opportunity to experiment with downhill and telemark skiing. We have two local ski hills (Bluewood and Spout Springs) and both xc track and ungroomed skiing.

Primarily, I see telemark as a useful turn in skiing, rather than an end in itself. I don't know if I can significantly improve my conditioning (I'm down about 18 lbs), but at 64+, there is a limit to how much uphill climbing I can do to ski downhill.

From the old forum, I have kept my black cat Avatar so some will recognize it. The cat (Shadow, about 13 years old), unfortunately disappeared about 6 weeks ago.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:27 pm

Hi Satsuma!

No I wasn't targeting anyone in particular, just the 635 other members who aren't doing much talking, be it about tele or not.

I agree with you, telemark is a technique, not necessarily a type of skiing (although it's been marketed that way for some time). In that sense if you are a xc skier, and not a racer, telemark should appeal to you (racers would most likely use something like a step turn that is more effective on a groomed surface and faster). It's really just another tool to put in your box. I always get a little excited when I'm skiing 'cross country' and I see the unmistakable esses down a hill. I obviously don't know if they were telemarking, but based on where I ski I'm pretty sure they weren't on AT gear.

You need not climb very far to use it either... I try to incorporate it on rolling terrain rather than just bombing it.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:27 pm

I could post some out-of-focus bee pics if you think it would help...

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:12 pm

You can post anything you want...

I don't even take pictures much myself, and if I do, they usually ain't that great.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:46 am

TheLonelySkier.jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:50 am

Aren't you the Lonely Skier Johnny?

connyro

Post by connyro » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:05 am

OK, then I won't post blurry pics of bees or power lines. Maybe I should make up fake members and carry on a conversation with myself. You know, all the while pretending that I'm actually talking to real people. Too crazy?

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:15 am

Nothing could be more crazy than an old man in his Kingdom, could it?

Doesn't matter to me. I don't think Johnny gives a hoot. As long as you treat people with some respect and don't persecute people like a Nazi, I think we'll be cool...

Of course it's not for me to decide, it's for the other 635 members should there be an issue.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:21 am

We're all lonely skiers aren't we? (I might be the loneliest though... ) 8-)

Outcasts, too cool for Black Diamond frontside action... Destinated to XCD alone... Far from civilization, deep in the woods where no one wants to go...

I'll try to see if they wanna use a picture of me for the next edition of that book...

Connyro, I'm pretty sure TheRealEarnyoturns.com is available...! 8-)

"Why can't they just stay in the woods where they belong?"
pinners-from-hell_comix_8x.jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."